|Mar 11, 2013, 05:21 PM|
Polaris Ultra Mods
Here are some of my modification to the ModelAero Polaris Ultra. First let me say that Scott has produced a wonderful model and in stock form it flies great. However, I'm not happy unless my planes have spectacular vertical performance. Thus began my search for more power for my Polaris Ultra.
Mod 1 - My first mod was to mount the elevator servo through the bottom of the motor nacelle instead of using the stock ply mounting plate. I treated the servo electronics with CorrosionX and sealed the servo output shaft with Vaseline.
Mod 2 - My second mod was to install a larger motor to increase the performance of the Ultra on a 3-cell battery pack, and improve the balance. I have a bunch of 3-cell 2200 lipo packs and I wanted to be able to use them on my Ultra. With the stock weight motor, I had to shove the battery way back behind the battery compartment to get the Ultra to balance on the step. My Ultra was nose heavy with the stock motor weight. I finally settled on the Turnigy 35-36A 1400 kV motor.
This motor was a tight fit in the nacelle and the motor cowl needed to be trimmed a lot to get the motor to fit. With a Master Airscrew 8x6 3-blade prop, the Ultra came alive.
Mod 3 - However, this increased performance had its downside. The 20 gauge motor extension wires that Scott had originally supplied with the early kits were getting hot enough to melt the fuselage foam. Luckily Scott began supplying 16 gauge motor extensions with his kits and he was kind enough to send me a replacement set.
Mod 4 - These larger wires increased the performance enough that I lost the canopy during a high speed dive. Naturally the canopy flew directly into the prop and was ruined. I was able to order a replacement from Scott and this time I installed some velcro under the canopy that would catch on the battery strap end.
Mod 5 - I installed a broader blade 3-blade prop to increase the performance even more. This prop was the same pitch and diameter as the Master Airscrew, but with its broader blades, the motor loaded up a little more and increased the thrust to more than 1:1.
Mod 6 - Pending. I now need to replace the stock cowl. Mine disintegrated during a high speed pass because of the large area I had cut out of the front of the cowl and maybe because of the added performance from the new prop. I removed a lot of material and the thin plastic that was left wasn't strong enough to survive the wind speed. I have a drink bottle that should just about fit and I'll post some pictures here later.
Overall I am very pleased my Polaris Ultra. My next change will probably involve replacing the 1400 kV motor with an 1800 kV motor so that I can return to using a standard prop. I just found out that the wide blade prop I really like has been discontinued .
|Apr 17, 2013, 08:22 AM|
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
Also subscribed. I am in the process of building mine now, not totally crazy about the stock location and mounting of the elevator servo.
|Apr 17, 2013, 08:43 AM|
I'm heading out to SEFF next week so I hope to get some action shots and maybe some video. From the posts online, there may be over 10 Polaris Ultras at the event. My bud Joel has even put LED lights on his for night flying. I think they're planning a group picture!
|Category||Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|New Product||Model Aero Polaris Ultra ARF||Model Aero||Foamies (Kits)||1595||Yesterday 05:53 PM|
|Discussion||Polaris Ultra||kingsflyer||Waterplanes||9||Apr 30, 2013 01:21 PM|
|Mini Ultra Stick w/ Mods||RCSwitz18||Non R/C Items (FS/W)||1||Feb 03, 2013 12:40 PM|
|For Sale||Mini Ultra Stick w/ Mods||RCSwitz18||Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W)||2||Jan 28, 2013 06:42 PM|
|Discussion||Polaris Inverted V-Hull Mod||Tom Frank||Waterplanes||10||Apr 23, 2011 04:12 PM|