HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by kingsflyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:21 PM
We shall serve the Lord
United States, TX, Kingsland
Joined Sep 2005
5,161 Posts
Discussion
Polaris Ultra Mods

Here are some of my modification to the ModelAero Polaris Ultra. First let me say that Scott has produced a wonderful model and in stock form it flies great. However, I'm not happy unless my planes have spectacular vertical performance. Thus began my search for more power for my Polaris Ultra.

Mod 1 - My first mod was to mount the elevator servo through the bottom of the motor nacelle instead of using the stock ply mounting plate. I treated the servo electronics with CorrosionX and sealed the servo output shaft with Vaseline.

Mod 2 - My second mod was to install a larger motor to increase the performance of the Ultra on a 3-cell battery pack, and improve the balance. I have a bunch of 3-cell 2200 lipo packs and I wanted to be able to use them on my Ultra. With the stock weight motor, I had to shove the battery way back behind the battery compartment to get the Ultra to balance on the step. My Ultra was nose heavy with the stock motor weight. I finally settled on the Turnigy 35-36A 1400 kV motor.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...00Kv_550W.html

This motor was a tight fit in the nacelle and the motor cowl needed to be trimmed a lot to get the motor to fit. With a Master Airscrew 8x6 3-blade prop, the Ultra came alive.

Mod 3 - However, this increased performance had its downside. The 20 gauge motor extension wires that Scott had originally supplied with the early kits were getting hot enough to melt the fuselage foam. Luckily Scott began supplying 16 gauge motor extensions with his kits and he was kind enough to send me a replacement set.

Mod 4 - These larger wires increased the performance enough that I lost the canopy during a high speed dive. Naturally the canopy flew directly into the prop and was ruined. I was able to order a replacement from Scott and this time I installed some velcro under the canopy that would catch on the battery strap end.

Mod 5 - I installed a broader blade 3-blade prop to increase the performance even more. This prop was the same pitch and diameter as the Master Airscrew, but with its broader blades, the motor loaded up a little more and increased the thrust to more than 1:1.

Mod 6 - Pending. I now need to replace the stock cowl. Mine disintegrated during a high speed pass because of the large area I had cut out of the front of the cowl and maybe because of the added performance from the new prop. I removed a lot of material and the thin plastic that was left wasn't strong enough to survive the wind speed. I have a drink bottle that should just about fit and I'll post some pictures here later.

Overall I am very pleased my Polaris Ultra. My next change will probably involve replacing the 1400 kV motor with an 1800 kV motor so that I can return to using a standard prop. I just found out that the wide blade prop I really like has been discontinued .

McD
kingsflyer is online now Find More Posts by kingsflyer
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kingsflyer; Mar 11, 2013 at 11:59 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 18, 2013, 11:49 PM
NCSS VP / Event Coordinator
Napa, CA
Joined Oct 2003
317 Posts
Subscribing so I will know what to do when I get one.

Mo
motowncali is offline Find More Posts by motowncali
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:22 AM
Build to fly, fly to fix
Canada, QC, Pointe-Claire
Joined Jun 2011
496 Posts
Hey McD
Also subscribed. I am in the process of building mine now, not totally crazy about the stock location and mounting of the elevator servo.
Keep posting
Gabor
teckbot is online now Find More Posts by teckbot
Old Apr 17, 2013, 09:43 AM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,161 Posts
I'm heading out to SEFF next week so I hope to get some action shots and maybe some video. From the posts online, there may be over 10 Polaris Ultras at the event. My bud Joel has even put LED lights on his for night flying. I think they're planning a group picture!
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: LEDs on my T-28
Old Mar 25, 2014, 04:58 PM
Joined Jun 2007
471 Posts
What is that prop? I need the same mod....

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsflyer View Post
Mod 5 - I installed a broader blade 3-blade prop to increase the performance even more. This prop was the same pitch and diameter as the Master Airscrew, but with its broader blades, the motor loaded up a little more and increased the thrust to more than 1:1.
DenisM is offline Find More Posts by DenisM
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 25, 2014, 08:38 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,161 Posts
The prop was one from Hobby King and they no longer stock them. Sorry.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2014, 10:32 AM
Joined Jun 2007
471 Posts
After looking at the photo of the prop and posting here I started visual search. Which yielded a result!
http://www.cermark.com/products/EMP-...-8x6-prop.html
Online quoted $22 shipping to Canada for $3 prop....
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2014, 12:23 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,161 Posts
That's the prop!

Cermark has a pretty shaky reputation, but ordering a prop shouldn't be too much of a risk.

At that price though, it might be cheaper to get the 1800 kV motor.

McD
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2014, 05:04 PM
Joined Jun 2007
471 Posts
McD, Cermark are out of business for a few years already...... Surprisingly web site is up. Phone # is not in service.

Higher motor KV is not going to fix efficiency of the bad prop but give possibility to use 2 blade descent efficiency prop.

Did you break your prop you purchased from HK a while ago?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 26, 2014, 11:07 PM
We shall serve the Lord
Joined Sep 2005
5,161 Posts
Nope, I'm still flying that prop on my Ultra. I tried the 1800 tonight and got 760 watts on an 8x6 prop at 65 amps. I think that motor will take a little more fiddling before I can use it.

McD
RCG Plus Member