HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:57 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
157 Posts
Discussion
Do not buy Hobby King products

Bought two batteries from them. One would cause my motor to occasionally quit. It took a while for me to diagnose that it had a bad cell. Their products are junk and I will not be shopping there ever again. Their customer service is quite lacking. Buy US products....learned my lesson!
goodstick is offline Find More Posts by goodstick
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:37 PM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,484 Posts
There are absolutely no lipo cells that are made in the US. They're all imported.

But if you want to pay out more of your dollars for the same product (apart from the label) you're certainly entitled to do that .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:00 PM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,372 Posts
As Steve said you can't buy US lipos, there is no one who makes them in the US.

Also this is not the best place to complain about a specific vendor. There is a whole forum for that:
http://www.rcgroups.com/hobbyking-441/
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:09 PM
Need More PURPLE !!
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodstick View Post
Bought two batteries from them. One would cause my motor to occasionally quit. It took a while for me to diagnose that it had a bad cell. Their products are junk and I will not be shopping there ever again. Their customer service is quite lacking. Buy US products....learned my lesson!
These threads are a dime a dozen. However --3 rules for us u.s.a customers.

#1 always buy from the usa warehouse

#2 always use pay pal

#3 think of HK as a swap meet, One has to be picky about what they sell. Not all products are golden. Where as others are. Ya gotta do some homework before a large order is placed.

I have bought many batteries from hk, And all were great. You simply got a bad apple. ( it happens now and then with any company ) They have a warranty. Send it back.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:19 PM
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
337 Posts
I agree...Hobby king is great for a lot of stuff. you got a dud, but your still ahead if you bought it at your local place..all my batteries are hobby king..I own a bunch.
mazjag is offline Find More Posts by mazjag
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Feb 2011
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejavu*Xion View Post
These threads are a dime a dozen. However --3 rules for us u.s.a customers.

#1 always buy from the usa warehouse

#2 always use pay pal

#3 think of HK as a swap meet, One has to be picky about what they sell. Not all products are golden. Where as others are. Ya gotta do some homework before a large order is placed.

I have bought many batteries from hk, And all were great. You simply got a bad apple. ( it happens now and then with any company ) They have a warranty. Send it back.
The warrantee is for a month. I started developing the problem at about one month and couldn't figure out what it was. The engine would die monmentarily and come back. It could have been anything. It took me another month to get to the bottom of it. Basically one of the cells is intermittent. They will not honor the return as it is one month out of warranty.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:00 PM
Marietta GA.
Joined Jan 2011
337 Posts
Best advice...its a loss...that being said ,that doesn`t happen often...You`ll come out ahead rather than using the LHS for lipos....
mazjag is offline Find More Posts by mazjag
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:02 PM
USA, GA, Marietta
Joined Aug 2005
5,641 Posts
Quote:
The warrantee is for a month. I started developing the problem at about one month and couldn't figure out what it was. The engine would die monmentarily and come back. It could have been anything. It took me another month to get to the bottom of it. Basically one of the cells is intermittent. They will not honor the return as it is one month out of warranty.
And neither would anyone else. I am not a Hobby King fanatic but I do business with them. I have received some good stuff and some bad stuff. Getting a bad item now and then is no reason to condemn them. Most of us here on RCG realize what their products are worth and that there is virtually no customer support. You pay your money and take your chance. My advice is to just move on. Life is too short to get bent out of shape for a battery.

Glen
ggcrandall1 is online now Find More Posts by ggcrandall1
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:31 PM
Joined Feb 2011
157 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1 View Post
And neither would anyone else. I am not a Hobby King fanatic but I do business with them. I have received some good stuff and some bad stuff. Getting a bad item now and then is no reason to condemn them. Most of us here on RCG realize what their products are worth and that there is virtually no customer support. You pay your money and take your chance. My advice is to just move on. Life is too short to get bent out of shape for a battery.

Glen

Oh turst me, my life is not over. But I'm done wasting my money there and needed to vent. Crap batteries from there and its not the first time.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 12:37 AM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2011
1,143 Posts
Yeah I have a battery that went bad after two flights and even though the tracking number shows it to be delivered February something, HobbyKing is claiming they have not received my battery and will send me updates. It is March 12th and I have since filed a dispute with PayPal. I have three other batteries from them and they seem fine so far but we will see. I have not ruled them out for future purchases as this is my first "bad apple" but I will definitely be buying Glacier batteries from now on since they too feature a warranty but from a US company! Sorry to hear about your luck with them.
firehawkzach is offline Find More Posts by firehawkzach
Old Mar 12, 2013, 07:05 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jan 2013
1,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawkzach View Post
Yeah I have a battery that went bad after two flights and even though the tracking number shows it to be delivered February something, HobbyKing is claiming they have not received my battery and will send me updates. It is March 12th and I have since filed a dispute with PayPal. I have three other batteries from them and they seem fine so far but we will see. I have not ruled them out for future purchases as this is my first "bad apple" but I will definitely be buying Glacier batteries from now on since they too feature a warranty but from a US company! Sorry to hear about your luck with them.
Someone mentioned using PayPal, a good suggestion, here is an extension of that thought. When using PayPal always use a Visa or MasterCard as your payment source, that way you have avenues through PayPal as well as the Credit Card company.
hoggdoc is offline Find More Posts by hoggdoc
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:27 AM
USA, MA, Boston
Joined Dec 2010
205 Posts
Thanks for the heads up.
cwinma is offline Find More Posts by cwinma
Old Mar 12, 2013, 03:14 PM
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
9,006 Posts
I got french fries from MCD's and half of them where not done, Screw that place never eating there again. lol. Just cause you get 1 bad battery doesnt mean there all bad. For the price you pay, just suck it up and buy another. Take the bad cell out and make it a 2 cell if its a 3 cell.
Mikemynameis is online now Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:03 AM
United States, MI, Paw Paw
Joined Sep 2011
4,105 Posts
Like many have said, you wont find any batteries made 100% in the U.S. Is there anything you can buy in this hobby that is 100% made and manufactured in the states these days? Not assembled here, 100% every single piece made in the good ol USofA? The only batteries I fly are from hk. Heck I even looked for somewhere with a cheaper 1300mah 3s pack for my new drone today and couldnt come within $7 per pack and on top of that, the discharge rate was less than the hk packs.
3d astronaut is offline Find More Posts by 3d astronaut
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fatshark Attitude 1.3ghz
Old Mar 19, 2013, 05:56 PM
Huckfest or bust!
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,059 Posts
Quote:
HK purchasing virgins
geez
cryhavoc38 is offline Find More Posts by cryhavoc38