HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2013, 01:25 AM
Joined Jan 2013
50 Posts
nickwad, on the nazi and wookong heat/light seems to effect the bara most. Big temp changes over the course of the flight causes some to fall and some to rise when not in gps mode.

You should get a autoquad board or even a wookong+iOSD in that guy to watch what happens with temps over time. both in use and not used just sitting in the sun. start logging the flights see the type of swings you end up with. You will need to write out uses cases, loading this up and it sitting in the sun for say an hours boat ride will have trouble when its time to fly.

I love the look you have going might even get one. But I'd want to have the cam down looking more so I can land on water to use as a fish cam for reef fishing. no point in it being fully water proof with out using it to look in the water.
GoneSilent is offline Find More Posts by GoneSilent
Last edited by GoneSilent; Mar 15, 2013 at 01:32 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 15, 2013, 02:13 AM
Nine inch member
Thailand, Chon Buri, Bang Lamung
Joined May 2006
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickwad View Post
Moved from Aquacopters thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamhairball
How much? How soon will you be in production?

We are just putting the prototype together at the moment , But after testing and any tweaks to the design have been carried out we will be taking orders if there is any interest.
We are building the prototype to allow us to fly stress free over water for videoing of beach front properties and boats at sea.
all the 'running gear' is going to be the same as we use in the TBS discoveries.
It is slightly longer and wider motor to motor than the TBS discovery (awesome machine when set up properly) but basically the same arm layout.

We have not finalized the price yet but it will be in the region of $1000.
This will include carbon fibre undercarriage and bubble retaining ring, Bubble and seal, Rear cap and seal , Internal floor for mounting electronics, Battery mounting tray. Mounting hardware for undercarriage and bubble.
The bodies will be painted in a single colour of customers choice (multi colours at extra cost)

I will post more pics and video when we are testing ......Nick
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlouetteIII View Post
Hi NickWad - the name Scarab™ is a registered trademark for multicopters UAV to us at Multiwiicopter.com - kindly change the name of this thread now, and delete any other reference to your illegal us of our name Scarab™ - thanks - fair warning - sincerely - Quinton
I apologize , Yes I will delete all reference to your name. I have changed the heading of the thread to 'Watercopter" until I can find a suitable name.

Best regards Nick

Once again sorry I should have checked !
nickwad is offline Find More Posts by nickwad
Last edited by nickwad; Mar 15, 2013 at 02:37 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:04 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Nick, can I make a design suggestion?. Something the Aquacopter guys got right is having a "buoyant" type area under the motor so that it doesnt go underwater as much on a water landing. Your design means that although the motors will be out of the water in a water landing if its a slightly wobbly landing they have more chance of being submerged. It might be an idea to add a buoyant area under your motors as well. Cheers
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Mar 15, 2013, 06:40 AM
Nine inch member
Joined May 2006
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Nick, can I make a design suggestion?. Something the Aquacopter guys got right is having a "buoyant" type area under the motor so that it doesnt go underwater as much on a water landing. Your design means that although the motors will be out of the water in a water landing if its a slightly wobbly landing they have more chance of being submerged. It might be an idea to add a buoyant area under your motors as well. Cheers
Hi,
Yes good point !
That would help keep the motors up a bit , It was something we thought maybe adding as option . We did not include it as part of the frame as the main aim was to build a streamlined fast as possible machine for videoing boats at full speed and have the capability to take off and land in the water if needed.

Also I think the motors get quite wet anyway from spray and hard landings ?

Nick
Last edited by nickwad; Mar 15, 2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:14 AM
Nine inch member
Joined May 2006
233 Posts
Good days testing I will post some video tomorrow
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:16 AM
Joined Sep 2012
225 Posts
If you want it streamlined and as fast as possible wouldn't it make sense to exchange the dome with a flat ( distortion free) pice of glass and pack the GoPro directly behind it? The added weight would be minimal if there is one at all ( less surface and no GoPro housing) while the drag would be reduced?
Wouldn't look as good though...
hollgi is online now Find More Posts by hollgi
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:21 AM
Nine inch member
Joined May 2006
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollgi View Post
If you want it streamlined and as fast as possible wouldn't it make sense to exchange the dome with a flat ( distortion free) pice of glass and pack the GoPro directly behind it? The added weight would be minimal if there is one at all ( less surface and no GoPro housing) while the drag would be reduced?
Wouldn't look as good though...
You know thats a good idea ! Thanks I will try that.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:57 AM
Pants first, then shoes
Joined Jan 2011
2,764 Posts
Nick, if over fresh water you will be fine but I have found over salt water that the bearings begin to fail after a short while. The bearings on brushless motors are not sealed so immersion in salt water over time isnt good. You could mould the bulb under the motors to be round and streamlined.
Im currently slowly working through designing a waterproof Hexa and have one flying and finding a few design issues.
Another issue I have is that its important to have the battery as low as possible in the frame. It needs to be below the plane of the motors so that in the event of a flip or unexplained failure the quad/hexa will land motors up. If the battery is too high and a motor or prop fail then the quad/hexa will land upside down.
Stacky is offline Find More Posts by Stacky
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:01 AM
Nine inch member
Joined May 2006
233 Posts
This is a short video of the first FPV tests , all seems to be good there is no detectable distortion from the dome just a very slight reflection of the FPV camera lens surround when the sun hits at a certain angle.
I have now fitted a TBS 69 camera and matt blacked the surround also mounted it nearer the globe.
Off to the beach for more testing early in the morning !
I dont have any watchable footage of the watercopter flying as it was too shaky !
I think my camera operator needs to drink less ! Lol

Watercopter (2 min 52 sec)
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:17 AM
Joined Feb 2013
92 Posts
Quote:
This is a short video of the first FPV tests , all seems to be good there is no detectable distortion from the dome just a very slight reflection of the FPV camera lens surround when the sun hits at a certain angle.
I have now fitted a TBS 69 camera and matt blacked the surround also mounted it nearer the globe.
Off to the beach for more testing early in the morning !
I dont have any watchable footage of the watercopter flying as it was too shaky !
I think my camera operator needs to drink less ! Lol
I don't think he has been drinking enough... video looks too stable!
He didn't even dip it into the water to test the waterproofing!
Kaen is offline Find More Posts by Kaen
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:03 AM
Fitzy
Gold Coast
Joined Jul 2008
47 Posts
Yep .... Cool

And tell those kids to stop swimming in your water supply

Fitzy
FitzyKiter is offline Find More Posts by FitzyKiter
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:12 AM
United Kingdom, Worthing
Joined Dec 2012
280 Posts
Quote:
You know thats a good idea ! Thanks I will try that.
My opinion:

Domes is more streamlines than flat! It's fine as it is.

Users can add a 'float' under motors if they want. I'm not bothered about motors getting wet..

In the vid was that gopro footage and where was it mounted? Was very smooth
hazardpro is offline Find More Posts by hazardpro
Old Mar 16, 2013, 11:14 AM
United Kingdom, Worthing
Joined Dec 2012
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacky View Post
Nick, if over fresh water you will be fine but I have found over salt water that the bearings begin to fail after a short while. The bearings on brushless motors are not sealed so immersion in salt water over time isnt good. You could mould the bulb under the motors to be round and streamlined.
Im currently slowly working through designing a waterproof Hexa and have one flying and finding a few design issues.
Another issue I have is that its important to have the battery as low as possible in the frame. It needs to be below the plane of the motors so that in the event of a flip or unexplained failure the quad/hexa will land motors up. If the battery is too high and a motor or prop fail then the quad/hexa will land upside down.
^ good points ^
hazardpro is offline Find More Posts by hazardpro
Old Mar 16, 2013, 03:16 PM
United States, VA, Glen Allen
Joined Aug 2012
13 Posts
I like your Pig reference, too funny! so suggested names:
Water Pig - english
Aqua Porcus - latin
Wasser Schwein - german
smuench is offline Find More Posts by smuench
Old Mar 16, 2013, 09:18 PM
Joined Sep 2012
225 Posts
What about birds of pray living next to water like
Sea eagle
Brahman or Brahminy kite

Or something like
Albatross- seeing that they are very smooth flying birds spending very most of their life flying over the sea?
hollgi is online now Find More Posts by hollgi