Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:32 PM
Joined Feb 2012
25 Posts
Discussion
How to reduce noise created by digital servos?

I have an FPV setup with Eagle Eyes, and my servo (HS-645MG) has an audible buzz at certain tilt positions, and whenever that buzz occurs that creates a lot of noise for my Eagle eyes and actually causes my eagle eyes diversity to lose telemetry and video signal.

Is there any way to reduce the noise (the electrical noise that ruins my video signal) produced by digital servo actually making an audible buzz noise?
mfische is offline Find More Posts by mfische
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:37 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,545 Posts
Can you reprogram the deadband of the servo?
Does the buzzing go away if you touch the gimbal?
With control surfaces on planes sometimes you can calm buzzing down by adding a bit of friction or a rubber band to take up the slop.

Pat MacKenzie
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Mar 10, 2013, 12:58 PM
Joined Feb 2012
25 Posts
I dont think I can program my servo..and I like your idea of adding friction..
Whats something I can use for friction?
mfische is offline Find More Posts by mfische
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:09 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,545 Posts
I have seen soft foam used between a control surface and the fuse on models to add a bit of friction. But this will only work if you can kill the buzzing by applying light pressure to the thing that is buzzing.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:53 PM
Joined Nov 2003
4,920 Posts
Hi, in terms of reducing the effects of the servo noise coupled to the video receivers, these things that have worked well for people:

- use an LC filter such as this one to isolate the power to the video receivers from the power going to the EE
- use good quality rca cables (coax preferred) for the EE to receiver interconnects
- use two batteries (one for the video receiver(s) and one for the EE)
billpa is offline Find More Posts by billpa
Site Sponsor