HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:31 AM
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Feb 2006
616 Posts
Discussion
Reusing nicked APC props

So I have had a couple of less than perfect landings of late resulting in a prop strike. This has taken the last 1/8 to 5/16 of the end of 3 of my APC propellers.

Does anyone reuse APC props that have been struck? I thought I would even these out, reshape the ends and rebalance.

I have trimmed and reshaped 3 now but I need to get a prop balancer to see how I did.

I obviously would not do this with a wood prop, but an APC I cant see the issue really.
dmrcflyr2 is offline Find More Posts by dmrcflyr2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Another small 4 stroke
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2013, 10:53 AM
team sleprock
United States, WA, Port Angeles
Joined Dec 2009
3,327 Posts
I think, as long as you don't need the lil bit of thrust you will loose, then you will be just fine!
whiskykid is online now Find More Posts by whiskykid
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: heli's
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:36 AM
Tampa,Fl
United States, FL, Tampa
Joined Jan 2007
1,481 Posts
If its for sport, sure. Keep in mind that if whatever size your use to using as it gets nicked up, you need to adjust your needle setting as this will make your motor run lean. In Racing, it's a No No.
Dale 813 is offline Find More Posts by Dale 813
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:11 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,495 Posts
We used to accuse a club member of trimming his props by holding a running engine next to the ground. I've seen as much as a half inch taking off and people still using them.
Edwin
edwin1 is offline Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:14 PM
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Feb 2006
616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale 813 View Post
If its for sport, sure. Keep in mind that if whatever size your use to using as it gets nicked up, you need to adjust your needle setting as this will make your motor run lean. In Racing, it's a No No.
No I am not a racer just a sport flier on a budget. I have my tach with me everyday too, plus I always set my engines on the richer side for safety margin. I care more for my engines than I do the planes they sit in in general.
dmrcflyr2 is offline Find More Posts by dmrcflyr2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Another small 4 stroke
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:33 AM
<>< AKA W4BPS
USA, TN, Tullahoma
Joined Dec 2001
2,428 Posts
re-using

I have nicked trimmed and re balanced a number of APC props with never a problem. Just tip nicks though. Brian
BrianSmith is offline Find More Posts by BrianSmith
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:29 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,518 Posts
For sure always balance your props.
be careful and make sure those around you are not standing along side the props in question, it's possible they can shed a blade.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:56 AM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,398 Posts
I've purposefully shortened them,not being nicked, (changed an 11 to a 10,for more ground clearance,in a pinch.

Careful trimming and rebalancing is all that's required.
epoxyearl is online now Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Water Sports
Old Mar 13, 2013, 08:02 PM
United States, CA, Clovis
Joined Mar 2004
3,182 Posts
I've seen an APC prop shatter during run-up. The front of the prop was apparently scuffed, and barely noticeable... probably with a hairline crack in the hub zone... the prop threw a blade, and everything left of the airplane was torn off... engine, other half prop, firewall. everything just twisted.. all because the prop had a scuff.. and probable hub damage. I wouldn't do it for a $7.00(or whatever)..prop. No way.
DGrant is offline Find More Posts by DGrant