HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:22 PM
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
Discussion
VQ DHC-2 Beaver .46 ARF HobbyKing

Just received my Beaver ARF from HobbyKing (Got it in three days!!!). Others have also posted on it here, but I must say the first look is impressive. I have no clue how or who does the covering, but mine appears flawless. The Kenmore Air detailing is not only beautiful and a bit whimsical, but also different from the standard fare, and includes rivets, hatch outlines etc.

I intend to hang GP Amphibious Floats (.40 size kit with retractable gear) under it with an OS .46 AX.

If this ARF build reinforces my first impressions, HK would seem to have a mighty hit on its hands, at an unbelievable price.

Little unexpected details are included, like the painted, removable cockpit bulkead, (the inside of this Beaver is cavernous, just like the full scale) dash detail installed, all windows installed, already painted pilot, pre-installed pushrod guides, and more. There is even a topside faux strobe, which simply begs for replacement with a functioning one. This should be fun.
Lambro is offline Find More Posts by Lambro
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:35 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,082 Posts
Looks can be deceiving though, make sure you glue all reachable joints, and be sure to goop lots of epoxy on the LG block and firewall. With some re enforcement, hobby king planes can be pretty good. Post some pics please, I wanna see.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerdinger View Post
Looks can be deceiving though, make sure you glue all reachable joints, and be sure to goop lots of epoxy on the LG block and firewall. With some re enforcement, hobby king planes can be pretty good. Post some pics please, I wanna see.
Will do, and I appreciate the advice. Right now I am all abuzz just with pre-build details. I even discovered the topside light is functional, not faux. Little surprises.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:02 PM
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Feb 2006
681 Posts
I just looked this plane up on the HK website, but it isn't listed under the glow models. I clicked on scale and found it there. Then a popup came up offering it to me for $89. I wanted to buy it but.... Sort of waiting to hear more from you on its build and flight characteristics with the 46 AX.
dmrcflyr2 is online now Find More Posts by dmrcflyr2
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:17 AM
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmrcflyr2 View Post
I just looked this plane up on the HK website, but it isn't listed under the glow models. I clicked on scale and found it there. Then a popup came up offering it to me for $89. I wanted to buy it but.... Sort of waiting to hear more from you on its build and flight characteristics with the 46 AX.
I will keep up with observations on this kit as it goes. Right now awaiting arrival of the OS .46 AX and other stuff.

Just a note on the HobbyKing site: be careful about the pop-up prices to be sure they are attached to the USA Warehouse, and not the "Global" one. Global prices will be less than USA, but shipping and delivery will be measured in weeks not days.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:40 PM
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Feb 2006
681 Posts
Lambro, Any updates, progress on this plane? Do you have any pics you would like to share?
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 14, 2013, 06:36 PM
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
Quote:
Lambro, Any updates, progress on this plane? Do you have any pics you would like to share?
I just received my OS .46 today, and have only begun step 1, which is mounting the engine. The good news is it appears the OS .46 mounts completely inside the cowling, although with the mounts included in the kit, the engine needs to be mounted as tight to the firewall as possible. Thus mounted, it is about 1/8" longer than the instructions say the dimension should be from the firewall to the prop hub, but should work.

It will be nice not to have to hack holes in the cowl for the head. I haven't got my pitts muffler yet, but it looks like I won't have to cut the cowling for the exhaust either. There is already a cutout in the firewall, and I think the exhaust pipes will go through it and exit the bottom of the fuse. The way it looks, the only two holes in the cowl will be one for the glow plug access and one for the extended carb adjust needle. Pretty cool.

By tomorrow I will have some photos of the engine mounted. Right now, I am delighted with the start.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 09:00 PM
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
OS .46 Mount on DHC-2 Beaver

First step...engine mount.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 03:48 PM
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Feb 2006
681 Posts
Nice. It looks like any 4 stroke would require some modifications, new cowl, etc. to fit right. I don't think they still make 2 liter soda bottles that have that profile on the bottom. I think they are all star shaped. Trying to think if a new, extended cowling had to be made how it could be done.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:32 PM
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
Quote:
Nice. It looks like any 4 stroke would require some modifications, new cowl, etc. to fit right. I don't think they still make 2 liter soda bottles that have that profile on the bottom. I think they are all star shaped. Trying to think if a new, extended cowling had to be made how it could be done.
And on that very subject, I ran into my first little glitch. To meet the firewall-to-prop hub distance for this cowl, I had to mount the OS .46 as far aft as the kit mount would allow. I mounted it hell for sturdy, lok-tite etc, but sheepishly I did so before my pitts muffler arrived. It got here this afternoon and its aft side will have to penetrate the firewall for it to fit. If the cowl were 1/2 inch longer all would have been well.

Out of curiosity, I checked some plastic one gallon jugs and found every one of them to be smaller in diameter than the kit cowl. Were one of the proper size available it would be straightforward to make an extension. In fact it could be done by making the extension by cutting a ring from the plastic jug, making a cut in it so the extension might have a small gap in it (put the gap on the bottom of the aircraft) then fortifying with glass and cloth. Too late for me though, I already epoxied the mounting ring to the cowl.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:36 PM
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
Incidentally, for anyone considering this airplane, and trying to decide what engine might work, the distance from the firewall to the prop hub with the kit cowl should be 3.50 inches.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 05:13 PM
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
Next Step: Tail Feathers

The issue with the pitts muffler was delightfully easy to cure. I just cut a 1/8" rectangle (outlined in with marker in the photo), and the Bisson muffler installed perfectly. Did need to drill a hole for the pressure tube from the muffler, but it was a snap.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:28 PM
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
A few more shots of the Beaver in progress. The faux radial is taped in place and being glued with silicon adhesive. The side shot shows the location of the fueling valve and cowl hole for glow-plug igniter. Cockpit shots show installed servos (only throttle connected in the views) and aft end of fuel tank.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:09 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,082 Posts
Thats a nice looking plane, it really gets me excited when I see the prop and spinner installed.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Mar 18, 2013, 05:44 PM
Joined Feb 2013
271 Posts
Trial Fit of Amphibious Floats

Connected throttle, elevator, and rudder servos and rods. No issues whatever. Trial fit the amphibs on her, and so far everything seems to be where it is supposed to be.. Last shot shows gear doors on float.