HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:12 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
Discussion
Getting back to Cars, good 1/12-1/16 nitro on road?

I'v been rc flying for some time now and want to get back into rc cars. Was thinking about a small nitro track car. Like back in the days of Tamiya and all their cool racing cars. Anyone have suggestions? Was thinking of building a kit and putting on a nice Porsche or Mercedes body. Why nitro, the sound and smell!!
spacecase is offline Find More Posts by spacecase
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:27 PM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
I don't think you'll find much selection for nice bodies in 1/12th - 1/16th scale on road cars, but I could be wrong.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:05 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
I could go to 1/10, 1/8th would be ideal its just I want to stash it in my car. So many street racer body styles, one cool thing about modeling you can make what ever you want. As long as there is a lexan body to fit, why not have a Ferrari over a Subaru! Maybe just go electric and get what ever body style you want.
Last edited by spacecase; Mar 08, 2013 at 10:32 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:08 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
If you go 1/10th there is a TON of body choices, and lots of chassis' to choose from.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:00 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
1/10 scale would be the direction to go. the list of bodies is almost endless There not to big to fit in the back of your car.
mredzadventure is offline Find More Posts by mredzadventure
Old Mar 09, 2013, 02:26 PM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXYHY2&P=FR
Tamiya E type c

Something like this Find a few cool bodies for that. Gas would be sweet but electric has fewer problems.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:38 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
That is a very good car You can put a ton of bodies on it. Electric is the right place to start in my opinion with the new brushless motors you can make it flat out fly. I have this car and I like it. There are a lot of upgrade parts for it it is a snap to build. Make sure the car has bearings those are a must. My only gripe is the rear of the gear box's are molded into the chassis. If you break the shock tower and crack the rear gear box you have to replace the whole chassis. The chassis are cheap though. Around $10.00 to $12.00 depending on where you look.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:58 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,731 Posts
Look around for pricing, I paid about the same amount up in Canada for a TT01 Type E (not the TT01R) with a body, light module and ESC. It's the drift version and has the adjustable upper arms and full bearings too.

For $150 you can also get an Associated TC4 club racer rolling chassis which is a far better handling car to begin with.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:13 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
I have always loved Tamiya, but I should give Team Associated a shot. I have noticed some cheep Hong Kong stuff but with all the little parts and stuff better go with the above. Shock towers still breaking my god thats been happening since I was a kid, havent figured that one out. I noticed some pre painted bodies on ebay. Some Ferrari's but the detail work wasn't so good.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 10:41 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecase View Post
I have always loved Tamiya, but I should give Team Associated a shot. I have noticed some cheep Hong Kong stuff but with all the little parts and stuff better go with the above. Shock towers still breaking my god thats been happening since I was a kid, havent figured that one out. I noticed some pre painted bodies on ebay. Some Ferrari's but the detail work wasn't so good.
Associated makes some nice stuff I have a TC3 and it is a nice little car. The Club racer is a step up from mine. I love Tamiya too it was one of my first brands I had. I will have a soft spot for them. You will like the TC4 I'm glad there still making it. The Associated should be better suited to handle the crashes the Tamiya's plastic is a bit fragile. Painting the body is pretty easy to do. Especially if your going for a single color. The Ferrari would look good.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:32 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
Why did you have to show me that car!
http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/NTC3/RTR/

I googled video for it and the thing does well over 60. Such a sick car. Great now I want one.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 09:16 PM
Kowalski !.....Options
USA, MI, Hastings
Joined Jan 2007
2,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecase View Post
Why did you have to show me that car!
http://www.teamassociated.com/cars_and_trucks/NTC3/RTR/

I googled video for it and the thing does well over 60. Such a sick car. Great now I want one.
Well then don't look at this one http://traxxas.com/products/models/n...807nitro4tec33 it's fast I have an older one with the >15 engine and its really quick with the 3.3 it's scarey fast.
Old Mar 14, 2013, 10:07 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
Telemetry, alloy wheels, electric starter, crazy double belt drive. Ahhh I have been away from this side of the hobby for too long.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 05:16 AM
Joined Mar 2013
19 Posts
You should go for 1/18 Brushless 4WD Stadium Truck w/ 18Amp System. It is equipped with an 18A brushless power system, this little 1/18 truck is very quick on carpet and roads.
sid809 is offline Find More Posts by sid809
Old Mar 29, 2013, 09:31 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
840 Posts
I have a buddy who lives in the city and that basically what he has. 1/16 is a nice size for a backpack or in your car. Team Associated has few. I was checking out hobby king the other night and they has a few to really cheep. Even had a 1/16 nitro buggy for like 70 bucks.