HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

"The Gremlin" Build is Completed

F3J plane goes from concept to reality.

Splash

F3J Project Takes Flight!

From RCGroups.com user roydor:

For the last three years I've been designing and building an F3J plane I call the GREMLIN. The concept for this model originated back in 2003 when a good friend of mine and I were together in the Israeli team for the EC in Romania. We wanted a larger model with better penetration than most at the time, a cross tail and a two piece wing to keep the inertia low. We wanted a model with a pointy nose, looking down slightly for better landing. But most importantly we wanted a model of our own.

We designed the entire model, start to finish, with varying airfoils across the span, elliptical wing of 345 cm in span and modeled the entire fuse when we had to abandon the project due to high costs at the time and lack of interest of other modelers in Israel who we wanted to enlist for the project to share some of the work.

The project regained new life in 2006 just before the WC. I was approached by members of the Omer club in Israel. They're molds were getting obsolete and they wanted a new model, out came the design and I started reviewing it in order to update it as a state of the art design, out went the old airfoils and in came Drela airfoils, the planform was tweaked and we were happy with what we had. During the WC I spoke about the project in length with Philip Kolb who suggested to help with the wing design. After reviewing our work he suggested some tweaking of the planform and the airfoils. He modified the Drela airfoils and came up with PK381 trough PK385 for the project.