SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:20 AM
Allways the hard way!
South Africa, GP, Germiston
Joined Jan 2012
460 Posts
Build Log
SCC Pioneer... some progress!

I found a paper model SCC PIONEER sub on the net... looks like it could be a simple build for a sub-noob....

Having recently sold my trawler, i needed something relatively unique... and i kinda got a thing for the ironclads... and subs! Well, this will be both at the same time

She will be +-1000mm long with diameter of +-120mm with simple 2-ch control. I plan to set up the ballast to have her float with just a bit of the top hull above the water line. Will see how that works out

Hardware is a geared GWS EM-350 motor that looks like 4.6 to 1 ratio, simple car ESC & 6v S.L.A batt. Will make my own propshaft.

Must get the glue on now & will then turn the simple cones and cylinder in my lathe. The sharp end cones will probably be turned from aluminium. If i can get a decent finish i will add some rivits for some scale looks...

The huge flat-plate prop is still a bit of a mystery... not sure if the torque will try to roll the hull in the water?? If it does then i will just run the shaft thru the hub with a tiny prop behind the big prop & just free-wheel it for looks...

Any advice in this regard will be welcome...

Regards

George
georgy is offline Find More Posts by georgy
Last edited by georgy; Aug 20, 2013 at 04:37 PM. Reason: update to build log
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2013, 01:12 PM
Allways the hard way!
Joined Jan 2012
460 Posts
Forgot to ask... How do i seal the wood inside and out? My thought are sanding sealer, couple of coats of primer & 2K auto paint after lots of sanding??

George
Old Aug 20, 2013, 04:36 PM
Allways the hard way!
Joined Jan 2012
460 Posts
Made some progress turning up the hull... made a royal mess of my lathe and workshop turning down all that exess wood

Very happy with the over-all look. The access hatch came out very nice i think.

Cant believe the weight of this sub! Hope it floats once all the hardware is fitted...

George
Old Aug 21, 2013, 12:42 AM
Shanghai'd Expat
Xiaoshan, China
Joined Jun 2006
4,616 Posts
Looks quite nice! Regarding how to waterproof I'd recommend a base coat of epoxy resin thinned with alcohol inside & out before anything else is done.

Regarding your prop, its not hard to solder these flat blade Civil War props - my soldering skills are sadly lacking & I made several for my ironclads just by photos I pulled off the net & friends who are into Civil War modeling. Or you can look around and possibly adapt one used for a thruster but doubt that will be to scale. Look over David Merriman's Alligator as an example on the prop design & you can't go wrong.

Some reference sites:

http://vabiz.com/d&e/alligator/
http://walternelson.com/ironclads.pdf

By the way, the Sub-Driver forum just kicked off their annual Build-A-Boat Competition. I'd recommend considering entering your build since it will fit in well with the other projects you'll find there.

http://forum.sub-driver.com/forumdis...at-Competition
herrmill is offline Find More Posts by herrmill
Old Aug 26, 2013, 03:37 PM
Allways the hard way!
Joined Jan 2012
460 Posts
Got the front cone made from hard plastic... hopefully it will be more resistant to those less than perfect dockings!

Rear made from aluminium. It is also the bearing & shaft-seal casing. I used a normal white-metal bearing (Glasier bush) & an oil-seal. Will use epoxy to secure it to the hull.

The motor mount slides into the build-in shaft tube and is held in with long wood screws. Shaft is 5mm s/s rod, threaded M5 at the prop side.

I made the prop hub a 2-piece. I plan to cut a flat plate 4-blader, sandwitched between the 2 pieces. Will just put a small amount of twist in the blades. (being almost the diameter of the hull i think no more will be needed??

Regards
George
Last edited by georgy; Aug 26, 2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: typo