HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:26 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Discussion
BBCC2 - Another Knight

I've decided to take part in this largely because David's model reminded me just how much I like the looks of One Knight in Boston - a Bostonian class rubber power model of 16" span.
My intention is to enlarge it slightly to 18" and introduce some of the building techniques I prefer to use. I chose 18" because that falls in nicely with other models I'm building at the moment. It's a good match to a 7 mm geared motor unit, Vapor 'brick' and 160 mAh single cell LiPo.

Currently it's nothing more than a drawing imported into CAD with a bit of tracing done. Once the outlines are complete I'll start filling in constructional details.
One thing I like about these models, converted from rubber designs and modified, is that should anyone wish, the motor and radio gear could be omitted and replaced by a rubber motor for an all round model.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:14 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
As a big fan of your designs, I will definitely be sub'd to watch your handy work Peter...
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:35 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Well, I got a bit done to the drawings last night. All the tracing is completed and the original drawing moved out of the way. I've also rotated the fuselage to level, refined the outlines and started filling in construction details.
It wasn't until I laid the 7 mm motor unit over the nose that I realised just how chunky the fuselage is. Absolutely no problem fitting the gear in there, but it's a lot of fuselage for not really very much wing. I'm not at all sure how it will turn with all that fuselage side and narrow wing.
Once I get the fuselage drawing completed I'll post a file of that, so you can see what I have in mind.

Pete
Old Mar 10, 2013, 08:34 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
As promised, here's that fuselage drawing.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:00 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Since the fuselage plan isn't much use without wings and tail, here's that plan too.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:52 PM
Hatters gonna hat.
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Apr 2011
359 Posts
*Virtual High-Five!* on the plans, Peter! After watching David's progress and seeing your nice looking plans, this model has earned itself a spot on my build list.
madbomber is offline Find More Posts by madbomber
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:21 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. There is something attractive about the model, in a quirky sort of way. As anyone who's seen several of my other models will know, I'm rather fond of quirky

Pete
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:19 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Since there's still a while until the comp officially starts, and I have a similar size Monocoupe plan to finish, (and the fact that I'm lazy), I've ordered some laser cut parts for my model. I hate cutting 1/16 ply parts with a knife. Usually end up cutting my parts instead of ply parts.
Hopefully by the time they arrive the weather will have improved enough that, once I get structures built and covered, I'll be able to get them doped outdoors.

Pete
Old Mar 24, 2013, 06:30 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,034 Posts
Onion skin

Pete,

Check Jim_the_Sane's build log.....I answered the onion skin questions you asked as it pertains to what I use, how I put it on, etc, etc, etc.

Let me know if you have any more questions......

Best,

O_P
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fane AOP - circa 1941
Old Mar 26, 2013, 12:11 AM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
Pete,

Will be watching your build closely. Never miss a chance to learn some tips from a master!

Conrad
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
Old Mar 26, 2013, 05:38 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
O_P,
Thanks, I'm always interested in new (to me) covering materials. As you see from the plan, which is fairly typical of what I'm building at the moment, I think it might prove too much for the structure. I saw you mention being able to stretch it into place and I don't dare exert those sort of forces on these models. Can you imagine how 1/16 balsa built up tail surfaces would take to it?

Conrad,
No pressure then mate? I have a few little foamies (profile scale) that I want to finish and then I'll be making a start on Another Knight. While the build is progressing I'll decide whether or not I want it to be Red Knight (Germanic) or some other scheme.

Pete
Old Mar 26, 2013, 08:10 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
Oh well, currently it's definitely looking as if David's model will have some opposition. The colur scheme has a distinct Teutonic flavour. This is what I have come up with for the fuselage covering.
I'll print them onto white Esaki once I have a model to attach them to.

In case you wondered why the fuselage is covered in two sections per side, it's because the printed tissue is more than 14" long and legal size paper is as long as I can set the printer for.

Pete
Last edited by PETERRAKE; Mar 26, 2013 at 08:16 PM.
Old Mar 27, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Dec 2012
1,034 Posts
Tissue and Onion Skin and Inkjet Printers...Oh My !

Now see what you've done...you've given me ALL kinds of ideas..........Looks
like I'm headed to Office Big Box for some ink.....

Can't wait to see the finished bird, and all the steps along the way.

I have enough balsa left from the Fighter Glider build to make several 18"-24" aircraft, and enough tissue for the next three years of Christmas packages.

I lack inspiration though......one candidate is an O1-E Bird Dog......my back seat ride in the land of the little people back in the early 70's....OuterZone here I come.

I need something that's VERY forgiving in the hands of a novice pilot with three thumbs on each hand.....

Later

O_P
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 28, 2013, 09:43 PM
Joined Dec 2012
1,034 Posts
Hi Peter

Just thought I'd say Hi
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2013, 04:00 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,600 Posts
O_P,
Sorry mate, was I supposed to reply? I had visions of you deep into tissue designs for your chosen model.
A scaled up Walt Mooney Aeronca Defender would make a good model too. Drawing one at 18" is on my 'list', but these darned foamies keep getting in the way.
If someone could come up with 48 hr days, I'd buy a month's worth. I might just get caught up with the things I want to do then. More likely just think up a whole load more.

Pete