HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:05 PM
Registered User
wedoitall's Avatar
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Discussion
sunglasses and prescriptions glasses

hey i had to go to the eye doctor . way past due, and of course i need glasses. ive been looking at some different sunglasses to help fly planes also. i was wondering what sunglasses you guys wear.

also you guys that wear prescriptions glasses what do you do when it comes to sunglasses?

i was looking at these myself but wanting to see what you guys are wearing before i made a purchase. http://www.modelglassesusa.com/index.html they have different lenses you can change out.

they say they are made for RC pilots


so far ive been recommended on these.

Maui Jims, Wileys, Zurichs, but im still leaning towards the Modelglasses. plus my eye doc looked to have some decent ones.

dropping some decent coin on sunglasses will be a "luxury" purchase for a WV hillbilly like me.

I didn't noticed my vision till I started flying back in September. then I really noticed it when I got into 3d, and I plan on flying 3d till I cant fly no more. With my eyes being so sensitive to light I would like to get some glasses that are pretty good. also would like to get some lenses that let me see fly on overcast days and late in the evening better.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:07 PM
Registered User
wedoitall's Avatar
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
i also ran across this:

"Red is at the low frequency part of the visual spectrum, and blue is at the high frequency part of the spectrum. Red or yellow-tinted sunglasses reduce all colors to high-contrast shades of gray, making your aircraft in the air appear completely different from the appearance of your aircraft at home or in the pits. Gray, light blue, or light green tinted sunglasses make the airplane in the air look just like the airplane in the pits, and because your vision is extended into the high frequency part of the visible spectrum, you will have twice the visual perception range!"

found that last bit in an interesting article titled "Color Theory for Models: Choosing the Right Color" explaining how certain colors and geometrical shapes can help with flying.

you can read it here http://www.jcrc.com/News/Articles/Ar...olorTheory.htm
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:58 PM
smoke is my wattmeter
Longview, Tx
Joined May 2008
1,139 Posts
My lenses get dark in sunlight. Sure makes it easier to keep up with one pair of glasses but the downside of them is that they don't dark very dark unless they're in direct sunlight. This also keeps them from getting real dark while driving but I've gotten used to it. You can always try contacts or surgery. Your color info is very interesting.
krexken is offline Find More Posts by krexken
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:15 PM
Redwing FTW
joesmith285's Avatar
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,430 Posts
Best purchase I've made in a long time. They make Oakleys look cheap

http://pilla.myshopify.com/products/national
joesmith285 is online now Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:30 PM
Registered User
Komet ME163's Avatar
E TN
Joined Jan 2003
243 Posts
Ive worn prescription glasses and have had the photogray treatment since the early 80's, tried the transition lenses once, too yellow for my taste and they didn't get as dark as the photograys. but it sure is nice not to have to keep up with two pair of glasses.

Bill
Komet ME163 is online now Find More Posts by Komet ME163
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:23 PM
Registered User
wedoitall's Avatar
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
Best purchase I've made in a long time. They make Oakleys look cheap

http://pilla.myshopify.com/products/national
actually i was about to ask you what you wear.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Komet ME163 View Post
Ive worn prescription glasses and have had the photogray treatment since the early 80's, tried the transition lenses once, too yellow for my taste and they didn't get as dark as the photograys. but it sure is nice not to have to keep up with two pair of glasses.

Bill
i probably could really use transitions due to my sensitivity to light but i also heard that they can mess with your depth perception.

will check into the photograys, never heard of them.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:25 PM
Registered User
wedoitall's Avatar
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
Best purchase I've made in a long time. They make Oakleys look cheap

http://pilla.myshopify.com/products/national
which style did you get?
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:29 PM
Redwing FTW
joesmith285's Avatar
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
which style did you get?

Standard 15 (Full sun)

They work extremely well in low light conditions too.
joesmith285 is online now Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:35 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Endlesslag's Avatar
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoitall View Post
hey i had to go to the eye doctor . way past due, and of course i need glasses. ive been looking at some different sunglasses to help fly planes also. i was wondering what sunglasses you guys wear.

also you guys that wear prescriptions glasses what do you do when it comes to sunglasses?

i was looking at these myself but wanting to see what you guys are wearing before i made a purchase. http://www.modelglassesusa.com/index.html they have different lenses you can change out.

they say they are made for RC pilots


so far ive been recommended on these.

Maui Jims, Wileys, Zurichs, but im still leaning towards the Modelglasses. plus my eye doc looked to have some decent ones.

dropping some decent coin on sunglasses will be a "luxury" purchase for a WV hillbilly like me.

I didn't noticed my vision till I started flying back in September. then I really noticed it when I got into 3d, and I plan on flying 3d till I cant fly no more. With my eyes being so sensitive to light I would like to get some glasses that are pretty good. also would like to get some lenses that let me see fly on overcast days and late in the evening better.
I just bought a pair of the "ACE" modelglasses, they should be here soon so I'll let you know how I like em.

And Joe, holy crap those are expensive! WOW!
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:39 PM
Redwing FTW
joesmith285's Avatar
United States, IN, Fort Wayne
Joined Nov 2008
1,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endlesslag View Post
I just bought a pair of the "ACE" modelglasses, they should be here soon so I'll let you know how I like em.

And Joe, holy crap those are expensive! WOW!
Yes, unfortunately that is the case. These prove the statement true that you do get what you pay for though. A good friend of mine let me try his and I had to have pair of my own. Worth every penny imo.
joesmith285 is online now Find More Posts by joesmith285
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:52 PM
Fly it like you STOL it!
Endlesslag's Avatar
United States, FL, Daytona Beach
Joined Jan 2011
4,063 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by joesmith285 View Post
Yes, unfortunately that is the case. These prove the statement true that you do get what you pay for though. A good friend of mine let me try his and I had to have pair of my own. Worth every penny imo.
Yeah, maybe I'll be able to justify them eventually..but for now anything better than cheapie 7-eleven sunglasses will be an upgrade for me. I'm starting to fly much bigger planes and if those modelglasses are any good I'll feel a lot better about flying on sunny days. Plus $50 isn't heartbreaking if they're lost, stolen, sat on, etc
Endlesslag is offline Find More Posts by Endlesslag
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:46 AM
can't buy vaporware
7oneWo1f's Avatar
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,517 Posts
Have you looked at Zurich Sunglasses?

I like the Maui Jims Khunas, and have had a few pairs, but I lose sunglasses a lot, and Walmart has a pair of very similar polarized sunglasses for about $60 that I also use, and to be honest, I can't tell the difference when I am flying.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2013, 11:39 AM
Registered User
kellyzo6's Avatar
United States, VA, Berryville
Joined May 2010
369 Posts
If you want to keep your perscription just get a pair made with polorized lenses. You will have to chose between brown or gray in tinting. I am use them all the time to fly with and makes it easer to see even on couldy days.
kellyzo6 is offline Find More Posts by kellyzo6
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:14 PM
Registered User
wedoitall's Avatar
United States, WV, Clay
Joined Sep 2012
3,051 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyzo6 View Post
If you want to keep your perscription just get a pair made with polorized lenses. You will have to chose between brown or gray in tinting. I am use them all the time to fly with and makes it easer to see even on couldy days.
you dont have any depth perception problems with those? i thought somebody told me they did with theirs. cause i thought that would be easiest and cheapest solution.
wedoitall is offline Find More Posts by wedoitall
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:37 PM
Registered User
Joined Jan 2009
1,137 Posts
Anyone flying with contacts? I'd suggest trying Acuvue Oasys or Trueye before getting rx glasses.
SamurAchzar is offline Find More Posts by SamurAchzar
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asking for Peoples Experience with Prescription Wrap Sunglass Lenses for Flying??? alfabeta Fuel Heli Talk 2 Oct 27, 2007 04:11 AM
Sunglass for prescription glasses cadconversions Parkflyers 18 Sep 09, 2005 08:43 PM
Asking for Peoples Experience with Prescription Wrap Sunglass Lenses for Flying??? alfabeta Sailplane Talk 6 Jul 29, 2005 04:37 PM
Asking for Peoples Experience with Prescription Wrap Sunglass Lenses for Flying??? alfabeta Fuel Plane Talk 4 Jul 27, 2005 09:47 PM