HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:35 PM
Joined Mar 2013
2 Posts
Question
Epoxy Glue

Does anyone know what the best substitution for epoxy glue would be. Over the years I have become allergic to epoxys.
crvarner24 is offline Find More Posts by crvarner24
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:54 AM
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,319 Posts
Assuming that you are gluing wood to wood, Titebond, or similar brands of wood glue, should do the trick for you.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 08, 2013, 02:26 PM
Joined Nov 2004
174 Posts
Glues for wood

Titebond 3 is very, very waterproof after drying like epoxy. Urethanes (gorilla glue)work very well, but stain your fingers and foam alittle, have a shelf life.
Rudy F is offline Find More Posts by Rudy F
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:12 PM
Joined Jan 2010
913 Posts
Aliphatic wood glues (Titebond II is preferred) are ideal. They're stronger than all but the most exotic woods, clean up with water, and don't generally cause allergic reactions. Use them for anything and everything, including firewalls (but make sure they're well-braced with wood, because aliphatic doesn't make structural fillets like epoxy can).

CA glues are just as sensitizing as epoxies (but a different allergen), and are generally awful to be around unless you get low-odor types. But they're fairly strong and very fast. They're probably also the best substitute for epoxy when you're laying fiberglass wing root reinforcements.

Urethanes like Gorilla Glue are messy and not quite as strong as aliphatics, but they expand to fill reasonable gaps. They also work magnificently on foam.

Those three are pretty much all I use, in order of preference. I also use epoxy, but only very rarely. Most planes I only mix a single batch, for mounting the firewall, and occasionally for potting blind nuts and barbed hinge points. But the firewall can be done with aliphatic, the nuts with CA, and the hinges can be swapped for a different type or installed with thick CA.
machinate is offline Find More Posts by machinate