HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:34 PM
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
579 Posts
Discussion
Using Tracing Paper As Covering Material

I've conducted a test of this paper from Office Max/Office Depot/Staples/etc..., amd the attached photos show the initial results.

The paper was glued to the frame using a 50-50 Titebond II and water mix. The glue was brushed onto the frame, then the paper was immediately pressed into the glue and pulled. A brush of water was used with a finger to pull the glue up into the fibers.

This produced a number of wrinkles, but once the glue dried, the paper was well attached. A mist spray of water caused the paper to seriously wrinkle (expansion), but when the water had fully evaporated, the paper had shrunk down very nicely.

The photos are of the after shots...

As soon as I can get some nitrate dope, I'll see how that pulls down.
cpmcgraw is online now Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:51 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,804 Posts
I can see it being very brittle once finished. Let us know please.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:55 AM
Joined Oct 2012
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by williame3590 View Post
I can see it being very brittle once finished. Let us know please.

Bill
I have to say, even without dope the paper seems to be very tough. Not sure I'd call it "brittle", but it is very light. When I tap on the frame, the paper acts like a sounding board. If I lightly tap on the paper, it sounds very much like a drum.

Whether or not it is usable as the only covering, I can't say yet. But using it as an under-layer for colored tissue might be a good idea.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:42 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,579 Posts
I'm very interested in hearing of your results. With silkspan becoming very scarce, finding another source of a suitable covering is important. Tracing paper tends to be more stiff and I wonder how easily it can be used over compound curves.

My guess is that it will be fairly tough, but once holed, I'm inclined to think that it may have a greater tendency to tear, moreso than silkspan, since it does not have the long fiber component of silkspan.

Keep us up to date on your experiment.
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:47 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,449 Posts
Looks good Craig. You might find that you can also "iron" on the paper once the Weldbond glue has dried. There's no need to rush and get it stuck down when the glue is wet. Or after drying, and you find a wrinkle, or want to "move" the paper slightly, just heat the area up with your iron and "iron" it out flat.
You might also want to consider the Doculam. It is probably cheaper, lighter, and has the "glue" on one side.
John
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:40 PM
Joined Oct 2012
579 Posts
Finally got a can of nitrate dope (and some thinner), and tried it out on the first cover test done a few days ago.

First comment: OUCH! $21 for a quart of dope, $13 for a pint of thinner.

Second comments: Applied beautifully, dried quickly, the paper did not pucker like it did with the water. It stayed taut and formed a nice skin.

I am now going to begin papering the Envoy with this material, and using some color tissue as the trim. Pictures (in the build thread) as I proceed...
Old Mar 13, 2013, 01:45 PM
Canada, ON, Caledonia
Joined Aug 2007
2,804 Posts
That is great to hear, good luck on finishing her.

Bill
williame3590 is offline Find More Posts by williame3590
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:02 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,579 Posts
The next time you need dope, try Aircraft Spruce. Randolph nitrate tautening dope is $14.65/QT.; nitrate thinner is $11.65/QT.

When purchased in quart containers, there are no hazmat shipping fees.
Old Mar 13, 2013, 10:31 PM
Holland, Michigan
Joined Dec 2006
390 Posts
Great tip Andrew. Thanks.

Larry
LWeller is offline Find More Posts by LWeller
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:38 PM
Joined Oct 2012
579 Posts
Update -- Tracing paper has a wax-like coating that seems to completely prevent nitrate dope from penetrating through the weave. I just tried to work the dope through some wet paper, and could not get the wood wet at all. The substance acts like a blocker to the dope.

Back to the drawing board...

I'll be ordering some genuine tissue in a few days...
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:40 AM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
Update -- Tracing paper has a wax-like coating that seems to completely prevent nitrate dope from penetrating through the weave. I just tried to work the dope through some wet paper, and could not get the wood wet at all. The substance acts like a blocker to the dope.
That's a shame that worked out that way. Will the thinner alone penetrate at all?
Old Mar 15, 2013, 04:08 PM
Joined Oct 2012
579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew0820 View Post
That's a shame that worked out that way. Will the thinner alone penetrate at all?
I haven't tried that yet. I'll see what happens when I get a chance. What I did notice is that nothing from the dope appeared to penetrate, even after rubbing repeatedly with the brush. The wood remained dry to the bone under where I had been rubbing. I figured at least some of the thinner component should have passed through, but it didn't.