HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:25 PM
Scratch builder
USA, PA, Telford
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
Help!
Elevon linkage throws with electrical mixer

Bear with me please, I'm new to wings! I'm trying to figure out how less elevator travel and more aileron travel is done with an add on electical mixer. My radio doesn't have mixing or programming. I'm used to two separate sets of control horns and servos. Now that they are combined into one linkage each, sharing functions, I'm confused.

I can do this easily with the old sliding servo mechanical mixer but the electrical version has me baffled. Maybe because I've never seen one work? You tube has many vids, all using programmable radios, which is no help for me.
KenSt is offline Find More Posts by KenSt
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:58 AM
Indiana
Joined Jan 2003
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSt View Post
Bear with me please, I'm new to wings! I'm trying to figure out how less elevator travel and more aileron travel is done with an add on electical mixer. My radio doesn't have mixing or programming. I'm used to two separate sets of control horns and servos. Now that they are combined into one linkage each, sharing functions, I'm confused.

I can do this easily with the old sliding servo mechanical mixer but the electrical version has me baffled. Maybe because I've never seen one work? You tube has many vids, all using programmable radios, which is no help for me.
Before programmable radios, we would open the transmitter and install resistors on both outside terminals of the elevator stick's pot.

Remove the wire, solder one end of the resistor to the terminal, solder the wire to the other end of the resistor.

Some people installed small multiturn trim pots in a similar manner so they could adjust the amount of throw, instead of trial and error with resistor values.

Tight Turns,

Claude
Claude G. Vest is offline Find More Posts by Claude G. Vest
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:40 AM
Scratch builder
USA, PA, Telford
Joined Apr 2004
1,347 Posts
When I searched "elevon mixer" I saw posts about this. Some questioned whether it would work while others had already been there and done it. I'd rather make a mechanical mixer than mess with my transmitter if that's my only choices. From what I understand, the electrical mixer add on for this purpose is a fixed 1:1 ratio. That's what promted my question, how do you vary the throws. Apparently you don't/can't??????
KenSt is offline Find More Posts by KenSt
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:08 AM
I don't like your altitude
Joined Sep 2011
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenSt View Post

Try asking in the DIY Electronics forum.
Stupot46 is offline Find More Posts by Stupot46