Hobby King Hater
USA
Joined Mar 2005
4,559 Posts
Discussion
Worst part of building?

What part of building do you not like? Mine is doing the
shears in the wing. The Eagle, they were too long and
I had to trim each one. There are 44 of them.
Kimber is online now Find More Posts by Kimber
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:13 PM
Western KY
Joined Sep 2003
1,610 Posts
Covering and painting. Probably explains why I have a lot of skeletons laying around.
Andrew0820 is offline Find More Posts by Andrew0820
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:43 PM
Balsadustus Producerus
Escondido, CA USA
Joined Jan 2001
1,020 Posts
Deciding which one to do next...

Here in Southern California, second worst is do I work on something or fly something else?

Yeah, I know, life's rough...
Balsabird is online now Find More Posts by Balsabird
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:15 AM
M0unt@in M0del$ minion
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2002
7,246 Posts
I love every part of building. I even actually enjoy covering. I just hate trying to come up with a decent covering scheme and it takes me forever to get around to covering. I have absolutely no creative talent so most of my planes are pretty basic looking.

Joe
turbojoe is offline Find More Posts by turbojoe
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:32 AM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
With a well-designed kit, I like almost everything except the "decorating" part (+1 on TurboJoe's comment."

With scratch builds and short kits, it's trying to anticipate CG balancing issues and battery location, and improvising hatch covers for the battery, when you don't really know 'till the end where the battery will need to go.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:53 AM
rtibbetts
Central Florida
Joined Mar 2008
286 Posts
I'm with B'Bird. When I'm at the field I think I should be building and when building, should be flying. Life is pure H@## here retired in Florida with no "winter building season".
The second worst part of building is finishing one before starting the next one you just have to build.

Ron
rtibbetts@hotm is online now Find More Posts by rtibbetts@hotm
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:53 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,166 Posts
I used to hate hinging... but with a multi tool... the pain is gone. I don't mind covering, but find I must take breaks from it quite often, wonder why that is?

I guess the process I dislike most is fitting a cowl because of the needed mask and patience needed for good looking fits.

I'm also detailing challenged, but have found that taking pictures of the plane, and then painting them with Microsoft paint offers some help... not enough to relieve the pain... but enough to diminish it.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:03 AM
Airplane crasher
USA, CT, Shelton
Joined Jan 2008
2,732 Posts
Finishing a plane

I would have to say the worst part of a build is doing the wiring. I used to be an auto technician and chasing wires was the bane of my life there. I enjoy every aspect of doing a build but when it comes to installing the electronics I just can't force myself to get it done. I have bought ARF kits and refuse to finish them because I don't want to put the electronics and wires in. My last model took me 3 days just to install 4 servo's and hook up the control surfaces
CapMike is offline Find More Posts by CapMike
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:46 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2005
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimber View Post
What part of building do you not like? Mine is doing the
shears in the wing. The Eagle, they were too long and
I had to trim each one. There are 44 of them.
Just as an idea for the shears, I use a mini table saw like this one:
http://www.micromark.com/microlux-mi...-use,7500.html

Or they have a smaller one that I have not used:

http://www.micromark.com/microlux-mi...-saw,6936.html

Or the one I wish I had:

http://www.byrnesmodelmachines.com/tablesaw1.html

But that all aside, The only thing I don't like is when you get a kit that the plans don't match the parts and a second set of plans is sent to you and they are different than the first but still don't match the parts. And there were several parts missing. This is why my Smooth Genie Pro has taken about a year and a have to just build the wing. I have trouble staying interested in finishing it after all the problems with the kit.

Alan
jh2rc97 is offline Find More Posts by jh2rc97
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:11 AM
Little Red Plane
United States, TN, Knoxville
Joined Dec 2012
559 Posts
For me it's deciding what to build, oh so many choices and so few days to build...
GarryOgilvie is online now Find More Posts by GarryOgilvie
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:52 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,666 Posts
Not having the time. (For flying or building) Soooo looking forward to retirement.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:11 AM
East Texas
Joined Aug 2007
1,166 Posts
Edwin, Our club seems to be aging. The tues & thurs afternoon retired fliers often have more activity than is seen on weekends. Don't know if that trend applies to other clubs or not.
AA5BY is online now Find More Posts by AA5BY
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:34 AM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Sterling, VA
Joined Jan 2002
2,531 Posts
Sanding (which I hate to do) followed by covering. Picking a scheme is tough for me, no imagination.

Probably why I build scale models, easy to look up pictures on the internet or in books for a scheme. Don't have to think, which gets major points!!

Brian Allen

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Brian Allen is online now Find More Posts by Brian Allen
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:25 AM
chronic in training
L.A. beautiful san fernando valley
Joined Nov 2008
1,842 Posts
finding the block of time. not being able to build during the day (that work thing gets in the way, ) trying to do two planes at once and having them still unfinished almost a year later that life thing gets in the way.
grfcon is offline Find More Posts by grfcon
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:30 AM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,666 Posts
grfcon, I'm in the same boat. I have three builds stagnating while I do maintenance on several others. With spring coming on, its time to cycle all the batteries again. Replaced 3 last year. I had to promise myself that I will not start any more projects until I finish the ones already taking up space.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1