HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Discussion
For Me The Closest Thing to Flying CL Is

competetion pistol shooting. How about you?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:49 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,770 Posts
What !!!! You mean when you're pistol shooting you turn round and round in a circle waving your arm up and down ? Sounds dangerous to me .

Sorry, can't see any connection between the two things. If just you mean you ENJOY both then fine. I enjoy all sorts of things.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:12 AM
Bonnie Scotland
Joined Jun 2004
847 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipstick View Post
What !!!! You mean when you're pistol shooting you turn round and round in a circle waving your arm up and down ? Sounds dangerous to me .
Steve
I guess for me the closest thing would have to be crocodile wrestling, which is a whole lot less dangerous to bystanders than tigreflyer's hobby.
electrotor is offline Find More Posts by electrotor
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:19 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:

Sorry, can't see any connection between the two things. If just you mean you ENJOY both then fine. I enjoy all sorts of things.

Steve
No. 1 I don't turn in circles waving my arms around in either pursuit and 2 it's all about concentration and putting that bullet exactly where I want it to go-much like putting a CL airplane exactly where I want it to go. Both require intense concentration, excellent hand/eye coordination, timing and essentially, the same skills.
Last edited by tigreflyer; Mar 07, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:23 PM
Canada, ON, Cottam
Joined Jan 2012
1,544 Posts
Maybe the two line stunt kites. I tried one of those once. Kind of similar.
aspeed is offline Find More Posts by aspeed
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:22 PM
Steve
Joined Jul 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
competetion pistol shooting. How about you?
Flying real airplanes. The tactile feedback you get from a yoke of a Cessna 172 when the wind tugs on the plane is akin to the feedback you get flying your model on a windy day. The finite control needed to finesse a Cherokee down an ILS glideslope is pretty close to finessing a model through a square 8.
syampolsky is offline Find More Posts by syampolsky
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:25 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
[QUOTE=electrotor;24348517]I guess for me the closest thing would have to be crocodile wrestling, which is a whole lot less dangerous to bystanders than tigreflyer's hobby.
[/QUOTE

Neither organized and sanctioned NRA shooting contests or CL flying is seen as particulary dangerous.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:41 AM
Joined Apr 2006
65 Posts
...maybe mowing the grass, i like a 4.24" overlay on the downhill and 3.75" on the up, cutting around trees, i make three circles exactly the same only within 1.5" variation, corner cuts must be at 90 degrees!
aerohusker is offline Find More Posts by aerohusker
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:17 AM
Tampere, Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,343 Posts
It is widely accepted that R/C Pylon racing is a C/L conspiracy to get R/C flyers to go round and round
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:36 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
No. 1 I don't turn in circles waving my arms around in either pursuit..
Well there's one problem for you if you try CL stunt because your arm should always point towards the model with your wrist doing all the controlling. In stunt (not to mention combat ) there's an awful lot of arm waving going on .
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Mar 08, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I've never seen anyone fly without their arm pointed at their plane, unless they or their plane collided with something. Since you control only from the wrist, that would allow you to fly without moving your arm a bit.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 03:55 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,770 Posts
I'm not seeing this. How exactly do you keep your arm pointing at the plane which is doing e.g. a wingover or a vertical eight "without moving your arm a bit" ?

I thought you were just going to be picky and claim that you don't wave your arms about, it's just the one arm you wave about .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:28 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:

Steve
1 When shooting pistols I don't turn round and round in a circle waving my arm up and down. 2. When flying control line I try to put by back to the wind and sun, plant my feet and do virtually all practicing down wind with out moving my feet.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:37 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Slip: You have a strange way of attempting to speak for me. I never said I didn't move my arm when flying. I don't turn circles waving my arms around in either competetion shooting or CL flying and I think most readers here see the intrinsic connection between the two.
Last edited by tigreflyer; Mar 09, 2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 08:13 PM
Tok Alaska
Joined Aug 2005
158 Posts
Closest thing to C/L Flying

For me it is Fly Fishing
northernlightsfl is online now Find More Posts by northernlightsfl