HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:18 PM
AMA 910957
United States, WA, Hoodsport
Joined Mar 2008
5,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
The lengthy explanation above won't change the fact that the community has established a meaning for this term already. And, while I agree with the reasoning there, it's still wrong.
Nor does it change the fact that a vast majority of modlers/hobbyist are into model airplanes for the fun of it (there are those that just troll around to tell others what to do ) regardless if they're flying "full scale" or Full size" models.

EJWash
EJWash1 is offline Find More Posts by EJWash1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:36 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
Soooo, how about helping this guy with his landings there guys. Hehe.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:37 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylerdinger View Post
Waiting to see what kind of plane it is.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:47 PM
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Feb 2006
616 Posts
Quote:
Just my 2 cents, which isn't worth much but, good landings are not something you can teach through a text box. It takes practice and hey, isn't that why we fly? To fly? i.e. practicing... Takes offs are optional but landings are mandatory.

Quite honestly takeoffs and landings, or touch and gos is really 75% of what I fly for. I just do touch and gos as often as I can just for the fun of it.

A flight simulator is the next best option for learning to land, but IMHO asking for advice on a message board is not going to translate into better techniques, only practice will.
dmrcflyr2 is offline Find More Posts by dmrcflyr2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Another small 4 stroke
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:10 PM
United States, MD, Elkton
Joined Oct 2011
8,110 Posts
My brain is filled with so much information !!! we do tend to wander,don't we?

No matter where the wheels are,no matter what type of plane--get the wheels 3 to 5 inches off the ground,and don't allow them to get any closer.Just keep slowly holding the nose up,and as speed bleeds off the plane will settle to the surface.

Full size="real ? plane?....What is my model-imaginary ? .Models are real....

No matter who says what,The 'accepted'description is "Full Scale", "Full Size", and "Model" airplane.....It's hard to unlearn things.....
epoxyearl is offline Find More Posts by epoxyearl
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Back to square one !
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:05 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,057 Posts
Well it is hard for a beginner to grasp the "give it a little throttle" in my experience anyway. You are right though, practice is best.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:41 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:

No one is preventing you to do so.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 08, 2013, 12:17 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyearl View Post

My brain is filled with so much information !!! we do tend to wander,don't we?

No matter where the wheels are,no matter what type of plane--get the wheels 3 to 5 inches off the ground,and don't allow them to get any closer.Just keep slowly holding the nose up,and as speed bleeds off the plane will settle to the surface.

Full size="real ? plane?....What is my model-imaginary ? .Models are real....

No matter who says what,The 'accepted'description is "Full Scale", "Full Size", and "Model" airplane.....It's hard to unlearn things.....
Agreed that "Full Scale" _ _ _ "Full Size" _ _ and "Model" are accepted descriptions.

It does not prevent people from interpreting these terms.
I simply explained how I interpret them.
Anyone can interpret these terms their own way.
We live in a world of confusion anyway.

A Predater is a full size airplane without a human on board but it is manned by humans on the ground. If a hobbyist builds one then it becomes a model.

Some fellows seem to consider that model airplanes are not real airplanes. For me I consider that model airplanes are real airplanes usually of scaled down dimensions or of relatively low weight and flown remotely via a radio link.

Some automatic reaction is essential to be devlopped to become a successful pilot and that is where and why practice is important.

Unfortunately it is not practical to have instructors that have been trained to be instructors and to follow a predetermined teaching curriculum like exists in full size teaching for a pilot's certificate (license).

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:17 AM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Sorry for my late reply .
Its an LA Racer aerobatic plane , two at the front and one at the back .
xzodiackxs is offline Find More Posts by xzodiackxs
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:57 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzodiackxs View Post
Sorry for my late reply .
Its an LA Racer aerobatic plane , two at the front and one at the back .
OK that makes a HUGE difference to know that!

The LA Racer is not a great beginner plane. It's basically a club pylon racer, like the Sky Raider pylon racing plane (from the same company).

I suspect if you're bouncing this one, it's actually because you're landing too slow. Most of the time beginners try to land too fast, but the most common mistake I've seen with these planes is landing too slow, and the plane plops rather than landing and rolling. Try carrying a bit more speed on your landing and see if that helps. Set it down soft and let it roll.

I see the pylon racer guys do this all the time - they come in for a traditional landing and slow way down, then the plane stalls just above the runway - for many planes that is the right way, but for these racers, the fast vertical drop causes it to bounce and usually flip over forward. Let it settle onto the runway slightly nose up, but while it's still flying - then hold the elevator to keep the tail down as it rolls. Hard to explain, easy to do when you figure it out.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:42 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,490 Posts
Touch and goes. That says it all. many people go out and just fly with out any skill building manuvers in mind.
When I teach a guy right after low approaches we work on touch an goes. That way he can land his plane
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Mar 08, 2013, 02:14 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,115 Posts
You know the same concept applies to full scale flying...when I was working on my Privates, I did a LOT of touch and goes (had to, instructor said so) then after getting my license, my landing started getting 'less than perfect'....so every so often I would log 6-8 touch and goes every other month and things started getting MUCH better!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Midwest Stik Build
Old Mar 08, 2013, 05:42 PM
United States, FL, Largo
Joined Feb 2006
616 Posts
In latest AMA e-mail. http://www.modelaviation.com/LandingApproach
dmrcflyr2 is offline Find More Posts by dmrcflyr2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Another small 4 stroke
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:54 AM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
OK that makes a HUGE difference to know that!

The LA Racer is not a great beginner plane. It's basically a club pylon racer, like the Sky Raider pylon racing plane (from the same company).

I suspect if you're bouncing this one, it's actually because you're landing too slow. Most of the time beginners try to land too fast, but the most common mistake I've seen with these planes is landing too slow, and the plane plops rather than landing and rolling. Try carrying a bit more speed on your landing and see if that helps. Set it down soft and let it roll.

I see the pylon racer guys do this all the time - they come in for a traditional landing and slow way down, then the plane stalls just above the runway - for many planes that is the right way, but for these racers, the fast vertical drop causes it to bounce and usually flip over forward. Let it settle onto the runway slightly nose up, but while it's still flying - then hold the elevator to keep the tail down as it rolls. Hard to explain, easy to do when you figure it out.

I'll go ahead and try that today .Aswell as some touch and goes to figure it out physically , like what kerwin suggested .
Thanks guys .
xzodiackxs is offline Find More Posts by xzodiackxs
Old Mar 09, 2013, 11:08 AM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
2,989 Posts
If your radio has servo speed control you can slow the elevator servo just a wee bit and that will help a novice thumb smooth out the landings. Of course somebody will dispel this idea but, it worked so good for me on a touchy plane that I'm considering it for other models also.
scootrb4 is offline Find More Posts by scootrb4