SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:35 PM
Joined Jun 2012
73 Posts
Question
Landings

Whats the proper way of landing , against the wind or the other way around ?
My plane keeps bouncing during landings .
xzodiackxs is offline Find More Posts by xzodiackxs
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 12:43 PM
2 Fast 2 Low & 2 Loud
United States, CA, Winchester
Joined Nov 2011
3,293 Posts
Take off and land into the wind when you can. The lift created by the wind will help take off and it will help you slow on landings.
Bounce is created by touching down too hard.... try to delay the landing until the plane just eases down onto the runway

What type of plane? This complaint is more common in tricycle gear, (with a nose wheel)
scootrb4 is online now Find More Posts by scootrb4
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:10 PM
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,423 Posts
Land and take off INTO the wind.

Planes (even full scale real ones) are not really designed to be driven on the ground faster than their takeoff speed, so you want to be going as slow as possible and landing into the wind is free LIFT that you would normally be having to go faster to get.

Bouncing can be caused by a few different things and does depend not only on gear configuration but also airframe type.
For trainers try and hold the plane off the ground from landing until it comes down on its own.
A stall from 5" is not going to bounce back into the air. The plane will simply sink the last few inches and touch down.

A faster sport type plane that is a taildragger might be landed with more speed and on the mains. Immediately after mains touch you might need to give it very little DOWN elevator to keep the nose from rising and help bleed off speed.

My guess is that your landing either too fast or too slow from too high.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:41 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xzodiackxs View Post

Whats the proper way of landing , against the wind or the other way around ?
My plane keeps bouncing during landings .
I strongly encourage you to do some studies about aerodynamics and how airplanes fly.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:50 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootrb4 View Post
Take off and land into the wind when you can. The lift created by the wind will help take off and it will help you slow on landings.
Bounce is created by touching down too hard.... try to delay the landing until the plane just eases down onto the runway BBB

What type of plane? This complaint is more common in tricycle gear, (with a nose wheel)
Yes it would be helpful to know what plane this is about, because some planes have a design flaw that leads to bouncing on even the softest landing.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:09 PM
YAY the tourists are GONE
United States, MA, Sandwich
Joined Feb 2010
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zor View Post
I strongly encourage you to do some studies about aerodynamics and how airplanes fly.

Zor
What he said
Kit_Builder is offline Find More Posts by Kit_Builder
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:00 PM
United States, SD
Joined Aug 2010
1,082 Posts
Just remember that speed is controlled by elevator and altitude is controlled by throttle, this may seem backwards, but yes it is how it is supposed to be. Keep the nose up at a steady pitch with the elevator and give it a little throttle when you are comming in to low.
Kyler1 is offline Find More Posts by Kyler1
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:59 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,223 Posts
Kyle is 100% correct...if you're bouncing on landings then your too fast on touch down( not enough elevator) or idle is too high. or sink rate is too great (not managing throttle) or flair is too high.
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:39 PM
United States, FL, Sarasota
Joined Dec 2010
339 Posts
When I land, I like to come in at the correct approach speed which is slow and steady but enough speed to go around if I need to. I fly into the wind when I land. What I do is just fly it to the beginning of the runway then flare, when I flare, I hold the main gear about an inch above the ground as long as possible so then the airplane enters a gradual stall which then sets it down on the runway without it bouncing since most bounces are caused by flying the approach too fast.

That is the way I land, many people say I come in high on my approaches but my landings still come out good. I see many beginners coming to low on their final approach, (they have to keep the nose up to prevent touching down short of the runway) this is a perfect situation for a stall which you DO NOT want, especially when you are that low to the ground. I would suggest to go on YouTube and watch landings. Those will really help you.

When you get good, you will develop your own little way of bringing her back safe and sound! But practice, practice. Practice some approaches, then touch and goes. You should get the hang of it.
Rcflyyer1 is offline Find More Posts by Rcflyyer1
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:35 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,427 Posts
My problem is the wind is 90 degrees to the direction I want to land
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:02 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Crosswind landings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post

My problem is the wind is 90 degrees to the direction I want to land
What can we say but "practice crosswind landings"

Whenever you cannot line up apply power smoothly and climb out for another circuit and try again.

Crosswind landings are often difficult particularly if the crosswind is strong and gusty.

I assume you know the techniques to use and practice.

Zor
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:06 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,427 Posts
Full Scale experience has helped me be a better R/C pilot......and I cringe when I see these guys fly full throttle and make a quick 180 degree turn - oh those 'G' forces the plane goes through!
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:30 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:

Full Scale experience has helped me be a better R/C pilot......and I cringe when I see these guys fly full throttle and make a quick 180 degree turn - oh those 'G' forces the plane goes through!
I am not trying to be picky but I personally differentiate between "full scale" and "full size"

I consider a full size airplane one that carries the pilot or crew and cargo or passengers or both.

I consider a full scale airplane a model built of balsa, plywood or other material but built to full size dimensions and controlled by radio waves.
The wing loading would be much less on the full scale model than on the full size airplane.

On a 180 degrees turn at full power on any model scale size I visualize that the wings encounter a high speed stall and the wing lift is partially destroyed. The decelaration in the original trajectory becomes due to a lot of drag as well as any remaining lift. The ussual nose attitude dropping toward ground as we usually see and the up elevator helps the thrust to come around which contributes to the change in direction of flight.

We were flying full size Chipmunks teaching air cadets and myself and another instructor wanted to find some of the limitations of the Chipmunk. We climbed to 6,000 feet (above ground) and experimented how much banked attitude we could fly circles keeping level altitude. We knew that airplane has a 10G positive capability with a safety factor. Our limit was not the airplane but our own limitation of sustaining G forces.

At about 75 degrees of banked attitude as observed on the artificial horizon instrument and full power pulling back on the elevators the wings started to shake proving a definitive stall. It reassured us we did not have to fear any misuse (jerky quick action) of the controls by a student.

In model airplane flying and overpowered machines anything is possible if high enough above ground. Sometime the ground comes up quite quickly _ _ _ .

Zor
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:42 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,427 Posts
Full scale as opposed to 'real' airplane(s)
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 02:49 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
Quote:
Full scale as opposed to 'real' airplane(s)
The term full scale is well defined in the community to mean a, well... full scale aircraft that its probably manned, but it could refer to drones like the Predator also. If you want to say your model is full size you would use 100% or some other term. The lengthy explanation above won't change the fact that the community has established a meaning for this term already. And, while I agree with the reasoning there, it's still wrong.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501