HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:15 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
Google makes more money on analytics than anything else. They sell information. Advertising is a pull through business for them.

Work with them sometime (on the corporate side) and you'll get chills up your spine when you understand all the information they mine about us.

Back to the topic... I've not ever bought anything from SUSA. I have tried unsuccessfully a few times but that's a story for another day. They're an advertiser who pays to be here... and looking at pictures of the Pike Perfection is pure sailplane p0rn. Few would complain if this advertisment were from Victoria's Secret with a hot leggy model dressed in dental floss. I see it the same way. I'll reserve my serious b!+ching for when GM and Toyota (or maybe a crappy ALES plane) are sold space here.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:41 AM
hot air rises...
Pleasant Grove, UT
Joined Jul 2005
7,719 Posts
I would much rather have an occasional ad fly through here (even a Toyota ad) rather than have to pay to play. I guess everyone has different tolerance levels for this sort of intrusion... when enough users of rcgroups have "had enough" you'll see another rcgroups(ish) message board with less advertising spring up and gain popularity.
jfinch is offline Find More Posts by jfinch
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:46 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,606 Posts
I don't think Jim's business here is hurting too much and I can put up with an occasional ad thread. When it gets to be too much, I'll point my feet toward the door. In the mean time, has anyone contacted Victoria's Secret about advertising here at RCG?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Last edited by Mr. Wiz; Mar 07, 2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:17 AM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,769 Posts
Soaring USA and other adds can already show up in lots of other locations on the page. Putting it in the content area I consider OT and pollution. Part of the reason rcgroups is a good popular site is that it has NOT been doing this sort of crap.

0.02c

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:47 AM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,733 Posts
Gerald,

RC Groups need three things to survive.

One is content posters. I consider myself one of these. Content posters are people who answer questions and provide content that is relevant. This type of user does NOT provide funding to the site to keep the servers running.

The second is content consumers. These are the people who come to the site to ask questions or learn about things that they may not otherwise know. This type of user also does NOT provide funding to the site.

The third user type is the advertiser. These people advertise on the site because they are trying to sell products or services to their target market, typically the content consumer. This type of user provides funding to the site that keeps the site running.

Without any of the three user types the site fails. Advertisers always push for more space and more connection with the content consumer. Usually the site will resist for a while, then eventually become more commercialized. We're seeing that progression with RCG and alot of other sites.

I still like it here but I too raise an eyebrow when something like this pops up. It tells me that things are at the very least changing.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:28 AM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCPC View Post
If we intentionally stop purchasing from the vendors that advertise in this forum then advertisers will not recognize an ROI for advertising, they will discontinue to advertise (i.e. cross-subsidize our use of RCG), and RCG will then cease to be free or exist all together. Perhaps RCG could offer an "ad-free" version for a monthly/annual premium? The RCG Plus status would be a nice way to implement this feature and serve as a panacea for any backlash over unwanted advertisements. If we don't want ads, then we have to pay for it. Whatever it is, we pay somehow by either patronizing the advertisers or paying a premium for access to RCG. This concept has already been used by app developers by offering two versions: paid and lite. Once we recognize there is nothing free in life, we recognize value in what we have.

....but back to the Perfection, it's one sweet plane! Sexy and sleek!

Joint profit. Dang, Finchie, I can't believe I never thought of that! I thought I was cool...but apparently I'm a dork.
Paul
Actually Paul, I understand that a lot since I was once an advertiser as well as donator to RC Contests. Having stated that, I also understand the pressures advertisers place on the places they advertise. However, most times the sites or objects (e. g. magazines, newsletters and such) succumb to these issues that they hope to address. For example, many model magazines, like Model Builder, RCM, got to the point where there was more advertising than articles. If you even look at the AMA magazine, the articles themselves are advertisements. So what happened to them????? They DIED. I don't think we want RCgroups to die. All of a sudden what we start to see is not new stuff, not stuff that promotes the life of a sport, but rather we see what the advertisers want to us to see only. For DLGs we would only see the Stobels, the Concepts, the Steingessens, etc., because that is what will sell. It is a hard life to be in a hobby industry because hobbyists are so frugal (really cheap SOBs). On the upper side, the top guys get are being sponsored by the advertisers to get their products in the faces of all of us. I am quite aware of the cycle and the lack of the middle ground. Your suggestion about charging a "non-advertising" fee might work, but eventually the ads sneak in.
[/br]

I have been wrestling with the pros and cons of this issue quite a bit lately because, like RCgroups, a site can't be run on a shoestring budget. Someone, somewhere wants to make some sort of profit above and beyond the normal costs to update and run a website. I have been programming a new website specific to DLGs as a prototype for my needs. Sure I would like to put it up, but like RCgroups I am considering the same things they are. (BTW, It's a HUGE missing component of the sport as well as advertisers.)

There is a fine balance between getting the advertisement in front of the potential customer and driving the customer away because they do not want to read or wade through stuff that blocks their attention to what grows the group. If you stop people from reading the magazine because they are inundated with useless graphics, they will go away. Neither advertisers nor the delivery media want that to happen.
I know this is a challenge, but the thread rules should followed by all, lest we start seeing RCgroups set up a "For Sale" thread amongst the blog entries on some sort of payment/percentage to RCgroup plan. Duhh, they probably already thought of that. Who am I kidding?

Chris
Thermaln2 is offline Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Last edited by Thermaln2; Mar 07, 2013 at 10:37 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:36 AM
Reno Nevada
Joined Oct 2007
2,591 Posts
PS. Notice the huge site bug. I have carriage returns in the prose above, but the site does not display them.
(and here too)
But then again, who would notice?
Thermaln2 is offline Find More Posts by Thermaln2
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:20 AM
Launch high. Fly low.
United States, CA, Lake Elsinore
Joined Aug 2003
4,173 Posts
+100000

I could easily tolerate the occasional thread-ads in here, especially from one that has given plenty of support for the hobby.
The least we could do is check it out and the worst is to ignore it.

The thread-ad is still in the Soaring forum and I consider it on-topic. The bitching and moaning about something this simple is one that is off-topic. Quite honestly, I used to be more active in RCG. The one thing that is actually pushing me away is all this constant bickering. Thanks for making it true once again.

Thank you, SoaringUSA, for all the support and the thousands of dollars you've donated all these years. I guess a mouse-click is still too expensive around here.

Soar!
Jun C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Seid View Post
Guys-

Put this in perspective-

Bob and soaring USA has been an unbelievable supporter of DLG through raffles, and direct payments, sponsorship's etc. I mean he has always come through when Ive asked him for team support, constest support, pilot support.... and Ive always paid him full price for anything Ive purchased from him. He obviously is a paying site sponsor for RCGroups, and I would think, one of the sites best clients. Why would he open a thread on an F3J plane on an f3k forum? He probably doesnt know anything about it, other than hes already paying the site money to advertise. Is it really so offensive that one of the leading advocates of soaring in the world accidently showed up on first page? No, and no reason to get cynical about the way the world is deteriorating online.... Soaring USA (and the other shops that supply us with all our cool stuff) deserve this little thread bump im giving them, even if the post (oh my god!) broke a rule.

Still love you chris.
jcats is online now Find More Posts by jcats
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:07 PM
London
Joined Apr 2004
732 Posts
I honestly do not think that adverts should masquerade as threads on a forum. Whilst one or two might seem ok, what happens if this becomes acceptable behaviour and half the threads you open turn out to be adverts? Advertisers will get more clever and disguise thread titles and content in order to entice more readers. Now I'm not saying that this particular thread started that way, but it is where it could lead if it becomes acceptable. I, for one, would stop using this forum if it were to happen.

Also, this is an international forum and ads in the side bar/top can be customised for a user's location, if an advertiser so wishes, making it at least more relevant for all. Threads in a forum can not, and as such would pollute the board for people that the ad does not relate to, never mind pushing 'actual' content down making it harder to read or get answers to q's.

My 2p
MikeHLG is offline Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:04 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,403 Posts
I clicked on the thread to find out about the new DLG from Soaring USA...and wondering why it was labeled F3J.

Most of this thread needs to be moved to Site Chat.
Kenny Sharp is online now Find More Posts by Kenny Sharp
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:20 PM
SE Michigan
Joined Dec 2007
185 Posts
+1000 MikeHLG.
I find it ludicrous that being a corporate shill is somehow taking the high road over those who prefer not be be shilled upon. Anyone else who objects to this sort of crass marketing approach should let the offending companies know in no uncertain terms that they will be losing business instead of gaining it. Advertising campaigns that are counterproductive will quickly dissipate.
rwait is offline Find More Posts by rwait
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:23 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwait View Post
+1000 MikeHLG.
I find it ludicrous that being a corporate shill is somehow taking the high road over those who prefer not be be shilled upon. Anyone else who objects to this sort of crass marketing approach should let the offending companies know in no uncertain terms that they will be losing business instead of gaining it. Advertising campains that are counterproductive will quickly dissipate.
I see no reason to bad mouth Soaring USA.

I would suggest you take your concerns to the site management.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:30 PM
SE Michigan
Joined Dec 2007
185 Posts
Obviously didn't read or comprehend my post. Didn't mention SoaringUSA or any other company.. I mentioned people who think they have the right to complain about the majority of people on this post who don't agree with their marketization of DLG threads. Period. I don't really care what company does this, I'm against the approach. Please don't put words in my posts that you reimagine are there.
Last edited by rwait; Mar 07, 2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:38 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Athol, Massachusetts
Joined Oct 2005
10,403 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwait View Post
Obviously didn't read or comprehend my post. Didn't mention SoaringUSA or any other company.. I mentioned people who think they have the right to complain about the majority of people on this post who don't agree with their marketization of DLG threads. Period. I don't really care what company does this, I'm against the approach.
I read it and comprehended it.
I see no reason to hold it against the advertiser, especially Soaring USA.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:56 PM
SE Michigan
Joined Dec 2007
185 Posts
Obviously you know what I really meant better than I do. Good luck with that in the future. As for who I decide to hold it against or not, I think I'll choose my own interpretation of my thoughts and ideas on that.