Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:08 PM
Joined Feb 2006
81 Posts
Discussion
smallest helicopter that can do a proper loop and roll

I've been trying to expand my flying slowly into 3D. I recently bought a Blade Nano as a "real simulator" and have had success with inverted flight. It is very resilient but cannot do a nice loop or roll. What is the smallest helicopter that can do a proper loop and roll? Thanks.
bscfo1 is offline Find More Posts by bscfo1
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:27 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
379 Posts
The nano can preform a good loop or roll if you use good collective management
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:35 PM
Joined Feb 2006
81 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

When I attempt a loop with the Nano, (with proper collective mgt) it still looks more like a extended flip to me. And a roll is a very sloppy corkscrew. What I'm looking for is a nice big loop and a axial roll. What do you think is the smallest helicopter that can do this?
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:43 PM
Unregistered User
Joined Oct 2012
379 Posts
I dunno. Try posying in the electric heli section
helipilot23 is offline Find More Posts by helipilot23
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:47 PM
United States, CA, Chowchilla
Joined Aug 2009
957 Posts
I would say the V120d02s or 130x since they are both powerful brushless helis.
helikido is online now Find More Posts by helikido
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:07 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
the mcpx bl does very nice loops and rolls
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:33 PM
Caution: Noob in training
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Jun 2007
864 Posts
Maybe just a brushless upgrade on your Nano? Sounds like it just hasn't got enough guts currently to power through a loop the way you want it to
RoGuE_StreaK is online now Find More Posts by RoGuE_StreaK
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:39 AM
Joined Feb 2006
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoGuE_StreaK View Post
Maybe just a brushless upgrade on your Nano? Sounds like it just hasn't got enough guts currently to power through a loop the way you want it to
Thanks to all that replied.

My Nano has the brushless conversion. When I pull up during a high speed pass, it won't carry the momentum in an arc like my Trex 450, it just flips on it's back. Has anyone seen the new brushless mcpx do a loop and roll like a bigger bird? Or is it just asking too much of these smaller helicopters?

I only see people doing tight flips and hard 3D with these micros. It's really cool, but I'm not ready for that yet. Like to practice some FAI style loops and rolls. Thanks.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Jan 2013
88 Posts
As Helikido said V120d02s V2 or 130x is a good choice considering they both have shaft or belt driven tail instead of a tail motor. The tail outputs will be more precise and responses will be better.
If you already have a decent Spektrum tx go for 130x else consider the v120. But I am not a big fan of linear servos could in smaller blade helis.
Anyway if you get the v120 and a decent Devo tx, you can use the Deviation firmware to fly your dsm and other other models which use different protocols.
kartiksriramk is offline Find More Posts by kartiksriramk
Last edited by kartiksriramk; Mar 06, 2013 at 11:22 AM. Reason: Typo.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:31 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Nov 2010
4,033 Posts
Guys, quite frankly a loop has very little to do with "power and guts"

A larger heli does them nicely because of the weight. A nice loop has very little negative collective/pitch at the top, and is more so just like a fixed wing plane flying all the wah through with momentum. This is greatly the same with a roll.

I know I can do both with my old V120D02, however they are nicer with a 250, and nicer yet with my 450.... And so on...
Jwmflying14 is offline Find More Posts by Jwmflying14
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:56 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
mcpx bl (3 min 41 sec)

I didn't do any fast forward loops as I was more close in flying, but there are a few decent small reverse loops in there, one around 2:09.

It can do quite large loops just like my old 130x's and 120's, but only when I am running the stock tail. When I am running the kbdd tail it doesn't like reverse loops so much
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:37 PM
Joined Jul 2006
581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bscfo1 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

When I attempt a loop with the Nano, (with proper collective mgt) it still looks more like a extended flip to me. And a roll is a very sloppy corkscrew. What I'm looking for is a nice big loop and a axial roll. What do you think is the smallest helicopter that can do this?
The nano has to less mass and power for a real loop but is the best "crash and fly again" heli.
The brushed MCPX can small loops but need strict pitch management to prevent the tail blowout.
The MCPX_BL can huge loops and the tail hold even with the stongest pitch.
Maybe the best compromise between small size with crash resistance and flight cpabilities.
The 130X fly a little more stable and precise with the pitched tail but is the biggest "small heli" with lower crash resistance.
microheli is offline Find More Posts by microheli
Old Mar 06, 2013, 02:56 PM
Joined Feb 2006
81 Posts
Thanks for helping me narrow this down.

The backwords loop on the video was really nice with the mcpx bl! Can it do an axial roll as well?

I may be asking the impossible because of the mass of these little helis, I didn't think of that. But the mcpx bl looks promising. It the tail and power are not problems anymore with the double brushless than I may go that route.

Does the mcpx bl hold up pretty well in a crash? Thanks.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined Nov 2011
771 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwmflying14 View Post
Guys, quite frankly a loop has very little to do with "power and guts"

A larger heli does them nicely because of the weight. A nice loop has very little negative collective/pitch at the top, and is more so just like a fixed wing plane flying all the wah through with momentum. This is greatly the same with a roll.

I know I can do both with my old V120D02, however they are nicer with a 250, and nicer yet with my 450.... And so on...
It really does take some mass to smooth things out for a plank style loop. You can cheat a bit tho with a heli by feeding in collective on the way up to get some speed to put you over the top and then ride out the loop with that energy. It's still tough to do a really round loop with 100s. You can also just do a stall turn type loop which is alot easier since you're taking advantage of running out of energy at the top anyways.
TucsonFlyer is offline Find More Posts by TucsonFlyer
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:29 PM
Joined Feb 2006
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonFlyer View Post
It really does take some mass to smooth things out for a plank style loop. You can cheat a bit tho with a heli by feeding in collective on the way up to get some speed to put you over the top and then ride out the loop with that energy. It's still tough to do a really round loop with 100s. You can also just do a stall turn type loop which is alot easier since you're taking advantage of running out of energy at the top anyways.
That's good to know - I've been practicing a lot on my sim, so I thought I was ready. The little nano did a completely different thing in FFF when I pulled back and went vertical and started lowering the collective. It was on it's back going in the opposite direction and falling! And the roll looked like a wild looking corkscrew that lost about 30 feet of allitude to do! Having the BL main didn't seem to help at all either so you're right. It's a mass thing.

But this little Nano is a blast to fly!