HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:33 PM
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
Question
Suitable power source?

Hello Everyone!

I recently received my Turnigy Accucell 6 charger, and, being new to all of this, was surprised to see that it came with two alligator clips for the power input. This charger can run off of any 11V-17V power supply. I have a small AC to DC converter with the following specs:

-Input: AC 100-240V/50-60Hz
-Max Output: 13.5V 1.5A
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/HBZ1004

Can I just wire my charger to this converter? If not what do you recommend I use as a power source? Could I use a 12V car battery?

Very Respectfully,
gGATORr
gGATORr is offline Find More Posts by gGATORr
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:44 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,214 Posts
Your existing adapter will produce unsatisfactory results as it has extremely limited power capability. 1.5A * 13.5V = 20.25 watts. This would allow you to charge at ~16 watts output.

Yes, a car battery would work just fine but may destroy your starter battery if you charge large or multiple packs without your car running.

A much better option would be to purchase a 12V power supply with at least 60 watts output. They can be found for <$10.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
By unsatisfactory results, what do you mean? Would it take a really long time to charge? Or would it not charge completely? Or what?

Also could you provide the name or links to such power supplies?
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:29 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,214 Posts
Unsatisfactory meaning that you could only use ~30% of the available power of your charger.

eBay is a good source for cheap 12V supplies. Simply search on 12V 5A power supply and you'll get a bunch of hits. Hobby King also has inexpensive power supplies.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:40 PM
i Like RC
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
179 Posts
Here is a link for a 12V 5A power supply. Assuming you live in North America you need the USA plug with 110 Volt input (Not the 220 volt input which is used in Europe). This would allow you to use your charger almost to its maximum capability.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Power-Supply-...ht_3267wt_1007

What type of batteries are you charging? Lipo, NiMH, NiCD? Whats the voltage, the mah Capacity rating and the C rating? All this matters on how fast you can charge a battery.

Your current power supply can provide a max of 20 watts of power. Your Accucel can provide a charge of up to 50 watts (provided that the power supply can provide it to the Accucel charger). Your current power supply will work as long as you do not exceed 20 watts (17 watts would be better). You could charge an 11.1 Volt, 1500 mah lipo battery in 1 hour if you set the charger at 1.5 Amps (11.1 x 1.5 = 16.6 watts). If you have an 11.1 Volt, 3000 mah lipo it would take 2 hours to charge because you shouldn't set your charger at more that 1.5 amps at 11.1 volts.

If you have a 7.4 Volt, 2200 mah lipo you would be able to use your current power supply and charge the battery in 1 hour with the charger set at 2.2 amps (7.4 V x 2.2 A = 16 watts). As you can see it really depends on the battery and how fast you want to charge it.

Be careful with charging batteries if you don't understand the concept because it can be very dangerous.
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:26 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gGATORr View Post
By unsatisfactory results, what do you mean?
It will take a long time and if you do not manually make sure to keep your charging under what the watts the supply can provide you will burn up your supply and/or charger quite easily.

eBay is a good way to go, something like this would work great:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/15V-6A-AC-Po...item519e352330

Otherwise this from HK will only cost you about $15 after shipping:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

If you buy off eBay and the plug is the right size make sure you check polarity on it before plugging it in.

Highly suggest reading these two articles:
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...e-for-charging
https://sites.google.com/site/tjingu...w-tos/shopping
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:19 AM
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
I see. Thanks for all the great info guys! I am charging a 4000mAh 14.8V 40C Lipo battery. I found a spare car battery that wasn't being used, so i'll use that for now, but i'll probably end up getting one of these power sources you guys have recommended. I'm assuming the car battery will provide enough current?
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:54 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,087 Posts
How are you going to keep the car battery charged up?
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:06 AM
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
I have a car battery charger. You think I could just use that?
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:09 AM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,214 Posts
Yes, many use a car battery charger plugged into a car battery as an interim power source. Eventually replacing with a proper power supply is recommended.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:14 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,087 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Yes, many use a car battery charger plugged into a car battery as an interim power source. Eventually replacing with a proper power supply is recommended.

Mark
+1 that should be able to run an Acucell 6 flat out.Your charger is a little on the light side for a 4000mah 4s battery.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:26 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,422 Posts
Use the car battery as a buffer when using the car battery charger. Otherwise, the "dirty" power coming off the car charger may very well damage your hobby charger.

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 06, 2013, 07:29 PM
i Like RC
Manitoba, Canada
Joined Oct 2010
179 Posts
With a 6 Amp Power Supply I would not charge the 4000mAh 14.8V battery with more than 3 AMPs otherwise you are pushing it. It will take about 80 minutes to charge a discharged battery.

If you use the 1.5 Amp Power Supply I would set the charger at 1.2 Amps. It would take about 200 minutes. Not a big deal if you are not concerned about the time.
Weekend Flyer is offline Find More Posts by Weekend Flyer
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:18 PM
Joined Jan 2013
23 Posts
Hey, I ended up going to a local computer store, and found a 12V/5.8A power supply that fit the charger perfectly for $4. So I think I'm set. Thanks for all the help!
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:08 AM
Vermont
Joined Dec 2003
947 Posts
Anyone have a link to modifying a computer power source for this charger (got the same one!).
spacecase is online now Find More Posts by spacecase