HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:13 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Discussion
San Diego Argonauts- Today

This is a new thread I'm starting here to post current events, discussions, photos, calendar's etc... related to the San Diego Argonauts RC Model Yacht club and it's activities.

The main web site is still active at http://www.sandiegoargonauts.com/
and I encourage you to check it out periodically.. We also have a new Google Plus Community site and San Diego Argonauts presence on Google Plus.. just google it.. but I know RCGroups.com is a powerful and easy tool used by many RC enthusiasts,

So, what am hoping for (as the new SD Argonauts Public Relations and Newsletter Editor for the club) is that members and others will use this thread to ask questions and post things of interested to you and other Argonauts club members.

More to follow.. Regards, JimS
jims123 is offline Find More Posts by jims123
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:02 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
March Newsletter

Here is a copy of the March Argonauts Newsletter and the current DRAFT Membership Handbook that is our for member review and approval now..
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:35 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
The Coots have returned..

See below for a photo taken today.. They fly away every year for a few months but are now back again..
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:56 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
New and Important Volunteers now supporting the Sail side of the club.

Ahoy There fellow Argonauts:..
Ken Campbell has been appointed Rules Chairman, and Mike Eldred has been appointed Measurements Chairman. These are both critical aspects of the sport that insure a fair and unbiased playing field, and ultimately that we all have a great experience on the water.. It's much more fun when you know you are competing with nearly identical boats in each class, and all playing fair by the official/ current sailing rules for RC Model yachts..

Ken has been giving us tips on the racing rules for a few minutes before each Sail Points event for several months, and he's been animating, and demonstrating the various typical scenarios as they come up with his Boat / Mark / Wind direction simulation markers. He really knows his stuff and how to get the message across clearly. This makes a huge difference and we very rarely see Protests after the races because concerns are generally always resolved on the water during the race instead.

Ken's been very helpful and willing to field questions on what the right thing to so is, which boat has right of way in various tactical situations and clarifying how we should react properly in these very dynamic racing conditions. If you have not seen his videos in other threads here on RGGroups.. Please search for them in the Sailing Forum they are excellent..

Mike Eldred has been weighing, measuring and certifying boats at Regattas for years and he's now going to do so at some of the upcoming Monthly Points Races (or just prior to them) so there's no question that each boat meets the class rules for each type of boat we sail (IOM, Soling50, ODOM and Santa Barbara). More in an upcoming newsletter article on this topic soon..

Regards, jimS
Last edited by jims123; Mar 07, 2013 at 05:38 AM. Reason: Typos
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:21 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Picts from Today's Practice Sailing

The Argonauts share the pond with the public at all times but certain days are set aside for particular events.. Wednesday and Saturday afternoons are for RC sailing, Saturday mornings for Scale modelers, and the Power Boats are generally out all day Friday's and on Sundays. Mondays Tuesdays and Thursdays are generally wide open and we simply avoid hitting each other by staying in one end of the pond or the other generally.. It works out really well..

Here are a few photos from Today's Practice Sailing..

By the way there is a really Big Power Boat Event coming up Saturday and Sunday this week end.

see http://www.sandiegoargonauts.com/
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:14 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Photos Wanted Please..

If you have any clear interesting photographs of IOM, Soling50, SantaBarbara, or ODOM class boats taken in or around the pond, which you could donate rights and royalty free to the Argonauts, we would like to publish them on the Main Web site and in a pamphlet we are working on.. Please PM Me..jims123
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:44 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Apr 2007
3,277 Posts
I have pics from a few regattas I have been to in San Diego.. I will post
them here.

Manny
gpzy is online now Find More Posts by gpzy
Old Mar 08, 2013, 09:04 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Thanks Manny,
I've written the 4 Class Secretaries and the IOM & ODOM guys were there right with sources right away but I also want to get permission from who ever took it (like you) and owns rights to the photo before re-publishing it in a pamphlet or on the main Argonauts site.. I may need to ask you to e-mail a high res version of a couple later once we see them here.. V/r JimS
Old Mar 08, 2013, 10:28 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Big Power Boat Prep Today and Race Tomorrow

If you're a sail or scale modeler .. best stay clear of the pond this weekend..

here's a couple picts..

Thanks Steve Bales for a nice photo of your boat ODOM # 486

V/r JimS
Old Mar 08, 2013, 04:01 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Pre-Race Tune up and Practice for the Power Boaters Today..

Here's a little iPhone clip showing a typical practice run at the Pond today.

Neil was saying they expect 175 boats that have entered to race over 68 heats Saturday and Sunday in 4 or 5 different classes.. Very large Participation from many along the West Coast.. If you can make it to the Pond either day I'm sure it'll be fun watching these races that last about 2 minutes as they do 6 laps around the pond.

.. Regards , JimS

Pre-Race Day Prep races at the Pond (0 min 54 sec)
Last edited by jims123; Mar 08, 2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old Mar 08, 2013, 07:27 PM
United States, ID, CDA
Joined Aug 2005
619 Posts
I smell nitro.
marter1229 is offline Find More Posts by marter1229
Old Mar 09, 2013, 07:59 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
2,075 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jims123 View Post
See below for a photo taken today.. They fly away every year for a few months but are now back again..
Yea and i think those birds fly down here for a Caribbean holiday because we got em at our lake too,the one on the left i've seen him before,i think there called a KOOT sort of a water fowl, it's actually quite amazing they can fly a great distance based on thier profile but they can.Any new water within a week they are in it so i do know they don't catch the bus.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:54 PM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
Yea and i think those birds fly down here for a Caribbean holiday because we got em at our lake too,the one on the left i've seen him before,i think there called a KOOT sort of a water fowl, it's actually quite amazing they can fly a great distance based on thier profile but they can.Any new water within a week they are in it so i do know they don't catch the bus.
Yes I bet you're right.. I had no idea so many bird watchers are tracking these birds year round too.. they probably take DNA samples and name each one too.. (zoom in to see)

http://ebird.org/ebird/map/amecoo?bm...=2009&eyr=2013
Amazing what you can find on Google.. Wish there was as much info out there about the inner workings of my boat's rigging( for example.)

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/american_coot/id
Old Mar 21, 2013, 09:08 AM
USA, CA, San Diego 92120
Joined Oct 2007
3,088 Posts
Pete Jefferson

One of our long time and well respected members, passed away last Friday. Pete was 87 years old.

A memorial service will be held on Saturday 23 March at 3 pm at the La Jolla Presbyterian Church, reception to follow.

Yesterday while at the Pond Pete's daughter Karen dropped by to watch the boats. She'd just picked up his ashes and was on her way home with them..

Karen wanted to re-assure every one of the sailors that would like to come .. to "Please do come since I know that's what my dad would want."

We all sincerely do miss Pete, he set a great example for the Argonauts Sail Division, was a former Lido class champion and US Navy Destroyer Captain.

Here's an obituary in the San Diego Union Tribune

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/uts...&pid=163707449
Last edited by jims123; Mar 24, 2013 at 07:45 AM. Reason: Additional info..