SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:36 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Multi Engine Telemetry

Hi Guys,
This is considerably less Hi-tech than some of your posts (just let the smoke out of my brain reading one of those threads!)
But I have been looking at the Spektrum Telemetry app and really like the presentation of information, My question is, can it be customized for what guages are displayed? I only see one RPM reading, I have a ship that has three, I wold love to have the telemetry on my big icebreaker and have it display the position pon a map with GPS posn, heading, speed and engine data, heck, why not a pitch and roll angle (modern Fibre-Optic Gyro's (FOG) indicate that for us on the ships)
really i guess this is a question for someone familiar with the app or if any one has an alternative that does not require computer engineering....

Goal -
three engine readouts - RPM,
Amp draw x3
speed made good (speed over ground)
Course Made Good (course over ground)
position - plotted on map (is it possible to make a custom map, ie my own chart of a pond perhaps?)
is there a water sensor or bilge sensor available, maybe a fuel level sensor adapted for a bilge?
Perhaps a fourth rpm sensor for a bow thruster...

Also does any-one know if the two position switches can be changed on a spektrum transmitter (Dx6i) for a pot, I have no use for two position switches.

Thanks for any opinions guys!

Cheers
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:32 AM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,599 Posts
Hi G-O,

According to this thread only one. The thread is almost a year old, maybe things have changed since then. Andy Kunz would know more (he's on the spectrum dev team), maybe he will weigh in here with more current info.

Pete
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Last edited by blutoh; Mar 07, 2013 at 09:16 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:00 AM
Spreckels Lake, GGP, SF, CA
USA, CA, San Francisco
Joined Apr 2007
3,645 Posts
Blown link, Pete
craig_c is offline Find More Posts by craig_c
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:23 AM
Australia, WA, Garden Island
Joined Nov 2010
464 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guard-Officer View Post
Hi Guys,
This is considerably less Hi-tech than some of your posts (just let the smoke out of my brain reading one of those threads!)
But I have been looking at the Spektrum Telemetry app and really like the presentation of information, My question is, can it be customized for what guages are displayed? I only see one RPM reading, I have a ship that has three, I wold love to have the telemetry on my big icebreaker and have it display the position pon a map with GPS posn, heading, speed and engine data, heck, why not a pitch and roll angle (modern Fibre-Optic Gyro's (FOG) indicate that for us on the ships)
really i guess this is a question for someone familiar with the app or if any one has an alternative that does not require computer engineering....

Goal -
three engine readouts - RPM,
Amp draw x3
speed made good (speed over ground)
Course Made Good (course over ground)
position - plotted on map (is it possible to make a custom map, ie my own chart of a pond perhaps?)
is there a water sensor or bilge sensor available, maybe a fuel level sensor adapted for a bilge?
Perhaps a fourth rpm sensor for a bow thruster...

Also does any-one know if the two position switches can be changed on a spektrum transmitter (Dx6i) for a pot, I have no use for two position switches.

Thanks for any opinions guys!

Cheers
G-O
This sounds like something that could be done with a Pi based base-station, or since you're programming with linux, a laptop running same. Use the transmitter system as developed by Dutchraptor/Tweety. All the onboard electronics have to do is pass the data, formatted as you see fit, at the rate you choose.

Come to think of it, we're rapidly accruing code on here, to do all of these things
Deckie is offline Find More Posts by Deckie
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:29 AM
The Netherlands, ZH, Hoogvliet
Joined Jul 2008
296 Posts
You don't even have to as far as Pi. Just a arduino setup and a LCD/TFT. You can read everything ranging from, RPM's (just as many as you want), water temp., motor temp., battery statis, heading, GPS, you name it. It's just a matter of how creative you get with existing codes and ideas. There is a whole lotta info out there on LCD displays (ranging from 1 line 16 characters to 2/4 lines 40 characters) and small TFT screens (3,5/5/7 inch). And transmitting/receiving can indeed be an adaption on my code for the sensors. Most sensors are SPI, I2C or Analog input which give logic number that can be interpreted and send.

I've been playing with a selfsupporting system based upon the FullArduinoControl system, but due to little time, it's in the fridge.

Danny
Dutchraptor is online now Find More Posts by Dutchraptor
Old Mar 07, 2013, 09:11 AM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,599 Posts
Sorry, here is the corrected link. See post # 170.
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:14 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
910 Posts
Thanks for all the information everyone!
I am trying to stay away from the really complex systems, I have 0 programming knowledge, so I was hoping the Spektrum unit would do that. I see it has most of what I would love to see, but the one engine thing doesn't make the cut.

Thanks again everyone, I can leave this thread open if there is any residual conversation, but that answers my questions.

Cheers
G-O
Guard-Officer is offline Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Old Mar 09, 2013, 05:20 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,762 Posts
okay, heres an idea i had a while back about telemetry.
use a cheap DSM2 RTF transmitter module on the boat. you could use an arduino or the like to read sensors, then feed the data to the boatside tx.
then get an rx dockside, and use the straight servo signals to drive some diy 90 degree gagues, basiclly from the data sent boatside.

it would be a matter of converting the rpms into 1ms to 2 ms signals, and you would be limited to 6 ch with the RTF tx, but its an idea. 300 ft range. unless you want to destroy a dx5e or dx4e. (little more work on that tx modlue.)

edit: some idea of a servo based gauge.
arduino servo gauge (2 min 30 sec)
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull