to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:45 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
7,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LJH View Post
Nope, not good at all. I really wish people would stop doing things like this. The media has gone a bit crazy with the word 'drone' and now they are throwing around the 'hobbyist' term. All it's going to take is for some idiot with an inexpensive multirotor to fly into a full-scale airplane and it will be all over for our hobby.

The FAA is already chomping at the bit to shut us down. Keep at it guys! I'm looking forward to having to purchase a license and/or get FAA clearance to fly my model aircraft!

I'm already sick of everyone I know that knows I fly model aircraft coming up to me and saying, "Didja see the news this morning?! OMG! Do you have one like that?!"

This is just like the idiots who bring weapons, ammo, knives, pitchforks (yes, pitchforks) to the airport to try to get it through security. You know you're not supposed to do it, so please stop. Thank you.

/rant over.
Mike_Then is online now Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Thank you, veterans
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:48 AM
United States, NM, Santa Fe
Joined Feb 2013
435 Posts
Just saw the report myself. Looks like the FBI is involved. The unidentified "drone" was about 1 meter long.

NEW YORK — The FBI and the Federal Aviation Administration are investigating a pilot's report that he spotted a small unmanned aircraft at John F. Kennedy International Airport.

The Alitalia pilot told air traffic controllers that he saw the aircraft as he approached the runway at Kennedy at 1:15 p.m. Monday. The pilot said the aircraft was 4 to 5 miles southeast of the airport and was flying at an altitude of about 1,500 feet.

An FBI spokesman says the pilot reported that the aircraft was about 1 meter long.

The pilot can be heard on radio calls captured by LiveATC.net, a website that posts air traffic communications. The pilot said, "We saw a drone, a drone aircraft."

The FAA says the pilot did not take evasive action and the plane landed safely.
RobertSF is offline Find More Posts by RobertSF
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:57 AM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
What a friggn A-Hole thay guy is.
I took my TBS Discovery into the hobby shop looking for some parts to modify and some people weren't too keen of it.
It's things like this that are giving FPV a bad rap.

I bet he posted it to Youtube and saw the news story and took it down.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Last edited by jasper7821; Mar 05, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:09 AM
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Feb 2013
931 Posts
i hate the word drone. bad connotation.

my friends call them drones and it bugs me. RC HELICOPTER. lol

i hope the few idiots out there don't ruin it for everyone.

knowing this country, instead of punishing the person who committed the crime, they'll just slap them on the wrist and screw the law abiding fpv folks with stupid laws/licenses. PROHIBITION DOESN'T WORK.

they just need to make the penalties far more severe.
serrated is offline Find More Posts by serrated
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:20 AM
Joined Feb 2013
435 Posts
Hey guys, Dave Barrow posted this bit from the AMA guidelines/rulebook on RCGroups here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1258420

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Barrow View Post
According to AMA National Model Aircraft Safety Code:

#2. I will yield the right-of-way to man-carrying aircraft and will see and avoid all aircraft, utilizing a spotter when appropriate. (See AMA Document #540-D on See and Avoid Guidance.)

#3. I will not fly my model aircraft higher than approximately 400 feet above ground level, when within three (3) miles of an airport without notifying the airport operator.

http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/105.pdf
At least as far as distance from the airport is concerned, the person of interest was following the rules.

However - he totally busted the 400 foot AGL altitude limit if he was at 1,500 feet except he wasn't within three miles of the airport.

Not that he was bound by AMA regulations unless he is an AMA member, but it sounds like he was OK as far as AMA regs are concerned. I looked at the document Dave links to and there is no altitude limit mentioned when outside of three miles from an airport though they do talk about spotters, etc.

Rud-Elev started a thread here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645222 about the 400 foot max elevation and mentiones the FAA believes the 400' rule applies everywhere and not just within 3 miles of an airport.
Last edited by RobertSF; Mar 05, 2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:28 AM
If I yell "look out" I mean it
Joined Jun 2009
628 Posts
I wonder where the nearest flying field is at JFK...anybody know?
gpierson is offline Find More Posts by gpierson
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:31 AM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,395 Posts
So lemme get this straight, a jet pilot sees a "drone", not so close that he has to take evasive action but close enough that he can see the props and judge its' size? This sounds like the kind of fabricated B.S. they come up with on a slow news day or when they want to push legislation of some kind.

I call shenanigans.
Granted is online now Find More Posts by Granted
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:31 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
If he followed the AMA rules and did in fact not do anything wrong, then can we please kill this topic right here, right now?
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:34 AM
Joined Feb 2013
435 Posts
More fun information that Granted might like... According to CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2013/03/04/us/new...html?hpt=hp_t2

"The FAA is investigating a report... he saw a small, unmanned or remote-controlled aircraft while on final approach to Runway 31 Right," according a statement sent to CNN by FAA spokeswoman Laura Brown. "The sighting was approximately four to five miles west of the airport at an altitude of approximately 1,500 feet," she said.

"That description puts the aircraft somewhere over Brooklyn and on the other side of the airport from where the plane was coming in for a landing."
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:36 AM
Joined Feb 2013
435 Posts
And more info - where they cite the FAA 400' rule and seem to outlaw long-range FPV:

"For recreational hobbyists, flying remote-controlled planes is only allowed by the FAA up to 400 feet in the air, and within sight of the operator. If they are going to fly within three miles of an airport, they have to let air traffic controllers know."

"Flying unmanned aerial vehicles is illegal for most business purposes; however, governments and public entities such as police departments can apply for permission to operate them."

"The FAA has been working to setup new rules and to safely integrate the use of unmanned aircraft into the national air space, and last year opened an "unmanned aircraft systems integration" office."
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:40 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Sep 2007
1,332 Posts
Just saw this story on Fox News, they didn't show a quad ! Instead they're story showed some people out at thier flying club flying standard model planes.
Now the whole hobby is under attack once again !
Getting bad publicity really pisses me off and I hope the person in question gets a fine so big it forces them out of the hobby !
CaptAhab is offline Find More Posts by CaptAhab
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:11 PM
United States, AZ, Tucson
Joined Mar 2008
2,195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpierson View Post
I'm sure if he was at 1,500ft than he probably wasn't at a flying field. Probably in his front yard and just went straight up in GPS modelooking through his goggles or monitor.
jasper7821 is offline Find More Posts by jasper7821
Last edited by jasper7821; Mar 05, 2013 at 12:33 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:25 PM
serial scratchbuilder
Canada, BC, Mission
Joined Sep 2012
1,395 Posts
Betcha the co-pilot was flying his x4 in the cockpit, startled the pilot who yells: "Ahh!! Drone!!" into the mic. The rest is their story, an' they're sticking to it.
Granted is online now Find More Posts by Granted
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:31 PM
brooklyn,ny
Joined Jul 2007
2,284 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpierson View Post
2 nearest field would be PARCS and RCSMP, but both are south west of airport
sighting was south east of airport
meanbaby is offline Find More Posts by meanbaby
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Polaris #58 control horn