SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:18 AM
Pass me some zip-ties!
United States, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2006
2,632 Posts
Discussion
Pilot Reports ‘Drone’ Sighting at JFK

Man if this is a fellow FPV RC pilot they need to be lynched. Only happened about an hour or so ago and it's spreading all over the news quick-like.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...ghting-at-jfk/

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...uzzled-worrie/

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/03/05...r-jfk-airport/

From one article:
"The incident is under investigation by the Joint Terror Task Force and by the Federal Aviation Administration. Some say the drone could have actually been a model plane. But one investigator debunks that claim."
“In all the years I’ve been with the airport, I can’t remember a similar incident,” one unnamed investigator told the Post. “Whether this is a hobbyist or not, it raises serious concerns.”
HansAuf is offline Find More Posts by HansAuf
Last edited by HansAuf; Mar 05, 2013 at 08:24 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:42 AM
..in a Johnny Cash voice.
Canada, NS, Beaver Bank
Joined Aug 2010
314 Posts
Funny, I just posted on another thread about this being the golden age of FPV. Now we know it is. Argh to the moronic FPV pilot.
Vintabilly_NS is offline Find More Posts by Vintabilly_NS
Old Mar 05, 2013, 11:46 AM
USA, NY, Yonkers
Joined Aug 2002
1,636 Posts
Let's hope this doesn't ruin it for FPVers in NY.
pc_pilot is offline Find More Posts by pc_pilot
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:02 PM
My tapeworm tells me what todo
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Feb 2007
261 Posts
"Let's hope this doesn't ruin it for FPVers in NY"

No your fat ass mayor will ban quad copters with more that 1 motor.
tconners is offline Find More Posts by tconners
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:08 PM
Thanks Dad!
Bellport, NY, USA
Joined Feb 2001
222 Posts
I just hope that it is not a hobbyist and a video doesn't show up blowing the whole issue of FPV up...then again, if it is not a hobbyist,... even worse?

Regards
Paul
RacerPaul is offline Find More Posts by RacerPaul
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:23 PM
I do all my own crashes
United States, NH, Rochester
Joined Jan 2011
243 Posts
Well it's the lead story on Fox right now. This won't end well.
Wingnut13 is offline Find More Posts by Wingnut13
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:25 PM
The Fixer
Canada, ON, Mississauga
Joined Jan 2009
3,922 Posts
And I can bet you it was a Reaper their showing in the opening of the story.
Martin Y is offline Find More Posts by Martin Y
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Flyfly Fox Glider
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:32 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,632 Posts
Oh of course. All the news outlets are going to dramatize the heck out of it.

Listen to the audio on this page. A cabbie says he often sees kids flying model aircraft in the business park next to the airport. Someone needs a good a** whoopin.
http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2013/03/...see-near-jfk/#
Last edited by HansAuf; Mar 05, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:36 PM
United States, RI, Cumberland
Joined Mar 2008
249 Posts
i have trouble spotting my little bixler a few hundred feet away looking for it. so either this quadcopter was purposely extremely close to this airliner or the guy is seeing things lol. i wouldnt say that the pilot would lie because i cant see what benefit there is about seeing small hobbiest airplanes
Qnzkrew is offline Find More Posts by Qnzkrew
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:00 PM
United States, NE, Omaha
Joined Nov 2011
1,261 Posts
1,500 feet in the air is some serious air (or error)
1fullbird is offline Find More Posts by 1fullbird
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:02 PM
Pass me some zip-ties!
Joined Nov 2006
2,632 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qnzkrew View Post
i have trouble spotting my little bixler a few hundred feet away looking for it. so either this quadcopter was purposely extremely close to this airliner or the guy is seeing things lol. i wouldnt say that the pilot would lie because i cant see what benefit there is about seeing small hobbiest airplanes
I'd put a safe bet that this was some punk showing off at how close he could get. I've run across a few of them now and again and they do crap that jeopardizes FPV in general and everyone compliments them on youtube and in the forums, then blow so much smoke up their a** that it's only a matter of time that their lack of maturity and common sense screws all of us out of doing what we love. There's one guy down here in Florida in particular that is a perfect example of this. Search youtube for "real plane flies below me @ 1:12-1:20" or "Careless flying" as he proudly named it. I did note that he removed the videos of him buzzing people on the beach and in parks. These are the guys that are going to ruin it for everyone else. Oh, and no doubt some of his buddies will flame this post. He can't because he was banned multiple times. If you see people flying like this or posting videos, make sure you try to educate them and appeal to their intelligence first. Some may respond to that. Some wont. In that event, ripping them a new one would likely not hurt.
Last edited by HansAuf; Mar 05, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:07 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
No man needs more than two propellers
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:26 PM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
4,496 Posts
A few thoughts

#1 It's not an airplane. There is no way you can mistake a helicopter for a plane.

#2 It is not a helicopter. A helicopter, no matter the distance is specifically designed to be brightly colored. If anything, all you would see is a black stick because of the tailboom, but you cannot mistake a shiny brightly colored canopy for black.

#3 1,500? What's incredibly high. Can a quad stay that high for more than five minutes?

#4 How fast can a quad go? And how fast does a plane go?

#5 Considering the speed, altitude, distance, and battery capacity, can a quad intercept a Jet?

#6 I've watched Aircrash investigations, planes have small windows and pilots can barely see out of them. So small that pilots rely mostly on instruments and the ground controller to tell them where they are, they don't have much of a view. The quad would have to have been right in front of his windshield and matching his speed.
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:37 PM
United States, FL, Masaryktown
Joined Jun 2008
751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qnzkrew View Post
The pilot stated that the quad was 200 ft from his aircraft while he was on approach to landing.
phlpsfrnk is offline Find More Posts by phlpsfrnk
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:39 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,877 Posts
yeah it is hard enough seeing other fullsize aircraft from the cockpit, and multicopters are the most difficult of all RC aircraft to see in my experience. But get a multi in the right place at the right time and it could be visible and identifiable by a AT pilot on approach.

Folks need to know flying near the approach path is very stupid. But who knows - maybe this pilot saw a crow hovering in the headwind.
BCSaltchucker is online now Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker