Closed Thread
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:34 AM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
Idea
tray for transmitter

i hope this fits in this forum:
for those who, like me, feel more comfortable controlling the plane with index and thumb, instead of thumb alone, using a tray is a must.
but there are few available. i had to design 1 with whatever i had at hand, until i learned about this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260954859974...84.m1423.l2649
so i got it.
it is a kit, that you have to glue together and paint the way you like.
it works well, and am satisfied with the results. now i have a tray that looks fine.
still, it is convenient to do a dry test with your specific tx, and consider the thickness of the paint, as sometimes they are a tight fit-or don't fit at all. in my case i tried my DX6i and the 9XR and both seemed to fit, so i coated it with lacquer dope and spray painted it with flat black enamel.
it looks good, but i learned that i have to press the DX6i in place, as the dope/paint coats made the space narrower, so again, it is convenient to consider this when assembling it. i didn't know that there is a small difference between both-they look the same size. the 9XR fits fine.
i found convenient too, to add a strap around my chest, to hold the vertical rods against my chest so the tray does not change its position from the horizontal.
if you have heard about another, it would be interesting to hear from you.
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:31 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
... for those who, like me, feel more comfortable controlling the plane with index and thumb, instead of thumb alone, using a tray is a must. ...
Maybe for you or some but not a must for everyone, wouldn't that fall under having a transmitter that fits just right in your hands.

Both my DX8 and DX18 I can hold the TX and pinch my sticks with no problems with or without the neck strap.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:29 AM
United Kingdom, Glos
Joined Feb 2009
605 Posts
I'm a stick pincher too and don't use a tray, but i'm thinking I might like to try one so might give this a go, thanks
FrankS is offline Find More Posts by FrankS
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:17 PM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankS View Post
I'm a stick pincher too and don't use a tray, but i'm thinking I might like to try one so might give this a go, thanks
you are welcome.
as with many things, it is not until you try and compare, that you can reach a decision.
just not having to grab the tx gives me so much freedom, and i don't have to worry about having to move a switch or trim.

i agree that around $30 with sh is not cheap, especially considering that you still have to assemble and paint it, but is the only 1 i have found.
but it works, and looks good.
as i said, i already made 1 before and have been using it, and i feel more relaxed.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:12 PM
Joined Aug 2002
5,811 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
i hope this fits in this forum:
for those who, like me, feel more comfortable controlling the plane with index and thumb,
instead of thumb alone, using a tray is a must.
but there are few available. i had to design 1 with whatever i had at hand, until i learned about this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/260954859974...84.m1423.l2649
so i got it.
it is a kit, that you have to glue together and paint the way you like.
it works well, and am satisfied with the results. now i have a tray that looks fine.
still, it is convenient to do a dry test with your specific tx, and consider the thickness of the paint,
as sometimes they are a tight fit-or don't fit at all. in my case i tried my DX6i and the 9XR and both seemed to fit,
so i coated it with lacquer dope and spray painted it with flat black enamel.
it looks good, but i learned that i have to
press the DX6i in place, as the dope/paint coats made the space narrower, so again, it is convenient to consider this
when assembling it. i didn't know that there is a small difference between both-they look the same size. the 9XR fits fine.
i found convenient too, to add a strap around my chest, to hold the vertical rods against my chest so the tray does not
change its position from the horizontal.
if you have heard about another, it would be interesting to hear from you.
. Air tow release , Restraint, Gravity fueling, Glow drivers,. Tx Tray etc.
. Transmitter Tray & Bling - Commercial Hitec unit but easy copy & DIY.
. Transmitter Tray - Helifreak
. Transmitter Tray - JC's
. Transmitter Tray - RCFU
. Transmitter Tray - Trays, various
from below sub section:
"Field Boxes, Fuselage Jig, Wing Jig. Tail wheel, Transmitter Tray constr. DIY Helpful Hints"
at
Alan's Hobby, Model & RC FAQ Web Links

Alan T.
A.T. is offline Find More Posts by A.T.
Last edited by A.T.; Mar 05, 2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: attach .pdf
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:32 PM
Joined May 2010
1,839 Posts
We sell tons of trays, many people are using them.

Here you go:
http://www.espritmodel.com/transmitter-accessories.aspx

Esprit Model is online now Find More Posts by Esprit Model
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:22 PM
Lake's Frozen Let's Fly
United States, MN, Eden Prairie
Joined Oct 2008
1,345 Posts
Wow. Thanks for all of those contributions. I have considered using one too but never looked into it seriously. Now I have some places to investigate.
Rhea is offline Find More Posts by Rhea
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:08 PM
On loan to Texas
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,347 Posts
I made one very similar to the Jerry Cozort design which is on the right of the Esprit images. I bought their gel padded neck strap and love it. I started pichinging when I flew helicopters and now it is so comfortable for me. Using a smaller tray like this is like not using a tray but with all of the benefits of the tray.
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:55 AM
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
great choices

thank you very much guys. many options to consider.
i like better the type with 'wings' where i rest my hands fully on them instead of the edge of the tx, as it gives me better feeling.

still i understand why all the other guys that grab the tx and control the plane with just the thumbs. is that 'grabbing' sensation that lets them have a more precise command.

same here with resting the hands on the wings, but with the extra help from the index finger.
Last edited by phil alvirez; Mar 06, 2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 12:45 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,499 Posts
My xmtr tray...
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Mar 26, 2013, 09:18 AM
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Dec 2012
6 Posts
Transmitter Tray

Here are two trays on eBay... One with hand rests and one without...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmitter-...item2a2a15b0f8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Transmitter-...item2a2ad408cc
tjemmer is offline Find More Posts by tjemmer
Closed Thread