HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:32 PM
Riding the crest of a high and
Joined Jan 2003
6,808 Posts
Discussion
ball joints for Aeromod Miraj

Anybody know what brand ball joints come on the Aeromod Miraj? Mine could stand being replaced- especially the ailerons, since they see the most wear.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 04:32 AM
Find me a decent hill...
Australia, QLD, South Brisbane
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by slopemeno View Post
Anybody know what brand ball joints come on the Aeromod Miraj? Mine could stand being replaced- especially the ailerons, since they see the most wear.
Yes please me too
Xgnr is offline Find More Posts by Xgnr
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:05 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,808 Posts
Sorta answering my own question here, but using readers and a magnifying glass I can *just* make out "Hirobo" on the plastic part, and it looks like the ball is 4.5mm. Off to look at r/c heli parts sites now.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:26 AM
Find me a decent hill...
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
Sorta answering my own question here, but using readers and a magnifying glass I can *just* make out "Hirobo" on the plastic part, and it looks like the ball is 4.5mm. Off to look at r/c heli parts sites now.

On ya mate

Maybe we could email Aeromod?

On another note I was checking my Prodij and the bloody post came off the wing complete with ball. Explains why I was getting some odd flying maneuvers

Could have been ugly. Pays to check these things
Old Mar 07, 2013, 10:10 AM
Impatience is a virtue
Denver, Colorado
Joined Nov 2008
674 Posts
Mine has been though many hands, so it's hard to say if it's still original. In any case, the balls are 4.7mm; no brand name on the links.
MCH27t is offline Find More Posts by MCH27t
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:07 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,808 Posts
It looks like any two-sided 4.7 mm ball joint with that's long enough should work, as long as you can screw a 2/56 rod into it. I'm going to drag mine to the local Hobbytown this weekend and see what I can find. I guess stores that carry lots of heli stuff are good for something.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to find those links online to no avail. I have some slightly smaller links that I could swap on, but thought it would be easy (and that's probably where I went wrong) to swap out just the nylon portion.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 08, 2013, 03:16 PM
Find me a decent hill...
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
It looks like any two-sided 4.7 mm ball joint with that's long enough should work, as long as you can screw a 2/56 rod into it. I'm going to drag mine to the local Hobbytown this weekend and see what I can find. I guess stores that carry lots of heli stuff are good for something.

I spent quite a bit of time trying to find those links online to no avail. I have some slightly smaller links that I could swap on, but thought it would be easy (and that's probably where I went wrong) to swap out just the nylon portion.
Yeah I am thinking that a complete swap might be required but that will be a real pain. Thanks for doing the homework.
Old Mar 09, 2013, 06:29 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,808 Posts
Well, that was unproductive...

I'm going to switch mine to the Du Bro #189's. I've used them on things like wingerons for linkages, and they've held up. I was initially concerned that the Du Bro ball joint wouldn't have enough throw, but looking at how much aileron throw I use it's low enough that it's not an issue.

I'll cut off the old Hirobo brass balls, and glue the metal base onto the rod with JB Weld, and make some new linkages that'll be longer to thread into the nylon cup, which is shorter than the Hirobo item.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 10, 2013, 05:20 AM
Suomi, Länsi-Suomi, Uurainen
Joined Jan 2004
665 Posts
I asked Mr. Maréchal about this and he told that these are Kavan parts (a german suplier) and the part number is K120. These are rather easily available in Europe (continental and UK).
Harri Pihl is offline Find More Posts by Harri Pihl
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:37 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,808 Posts
Flew mine for the first time in months yesterday. Man- I really like how that thing flies.

Just checked the Kavan website and they're there, but they dont seem to call them #120's.

http://www.kavanrc.com/cgi-bin/dpsma...FV5.html?E+Kav

I noticed the kavan website looked a lot like the Sig website. If you're in the US here's the link:

http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...FV5.html?E+Sig
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by slopemeno; Mar 10, 2013 at 01:59 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:42 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
20,857 Posts
You can use the links that fit a Thunder Tiger Raptor 30 heli, Tony.

I'm 99.999999% certain these will fit the balls that come with the Aeromod planes, but if not, get the balls too.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXAFDG&P=8

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXAFHT&P=M

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:22 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,808 Posts
Those should ship from the Reno warehouse, so I should have them by mid-week. Let's see.
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:27 AM
Suomi, Länsi-Suomi, Uurainen
Joined Jan 2004
665 Posts
Quote:
Just checked the Kavan website and they're there, but they dont seem to call them #120's.
These seems to be listed as 0120 in the Kavan site (various sets like 0120/10), be sure to get the 2 mm version.

In the Sig site these are listed as KAV0120 (various sets again) and be sure to get the 2mm.
Harri Pihl is offline Find More Posts by Harri Pihl
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:47 AM
Find me a decent hill...
Joined Jan 2010
132 Posts
Quote:
Those should ship from the Reno warehouse, so I should have them by mid-week. Let's see.
Sweet as...

I have a potential smuggler that could post me some if these are the ones to get so let us know how they fit
Old Mar 11, 2013, 09:05 AM
Joined Jan 2003
6,808 Posts
The sailplane underground is alive and well, I see.
RCG Plus Member