Anyone? And why?
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:27 AM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,348 Posts
I would have to say this, Each airplane that has won high honors has done so with different builders and flyers. The nobler by far is a classic stunt ship, IMHO there are many more, Names like Al Rabe, Fitzgerald, Jim Walker and many others, planes such as Novi IV is one of my favorites. A stunt plane is like a race car in that one that flies good for you may not fly well for someone else.

George
GeorgeG97322 is offline Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:55 AM
Joined Feb 2009
65 Posts
The Nobler is a great model, but the design is about 60 years old now and things have moved on. Aerofoil sections, tail volume and powerplants are a few that come to mind. So a ship of modern design with a big piped engine or a good electric setup is probably going to be a better flier than a Nobler, even if the Nobler has a really good .35 or .40 in it. That said, a lot comes down to trimming and pilot skill, so a well-trimmed Nobler flown by an expert is always going to do better than that modern piped .60 ship flown by someone like me.
steve111 is offline Find More Posts by steve111
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:38 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,662 Posts
Look for the last year a Nobler won a major championship. Then look at all the models that have won similar championships since then. Competitive stunt flyers are not inclined to make things difficult for themselves so it's a fair bet that every one of those models has the potential to fly better than a Nobler, in the right hands of course.

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Mar 05, 2013, 04:25 AM
Joined Apr 2004
233 Posts
This is what Wild Bill Netzeband wrote in a article summarizing Numbers of a lot of stunt models.

It slowly became obvious to me, that WINNING a stunt event was firmly in the hands of the pilot, the judges, the flying site, the weather du jour, not to mention the pilot’s lucky socks. The capability of the AIRPLANE to perform a perceived, acceptable flight path appears way down the list in order of importance
gghisleri is offline Find More Posts by gghisleri
Old Mar 05, 2013, 10:36 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
I've done a fair amount of stunt judging. The only perfect triangles I have ever seen flown were flown by an Advanced level flier with an ARF Nobler. Triangles on his second flight were not as good,
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Mar 06, 2013, 08:24 PM
Joined Apr 2006
65 Posts
Sv-11.
aerohusker is offline Find More Posts by aerohusker
Old Mar 06, 2013, 09:58 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerohusker View Post
Sv-11.

Why?
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:07 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
So far, it appears to me that there is no CL plane that clearly flys better than a Nobler.
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:09 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,208 Posts
Anyone remember the last time a Nobler made the top ten in Open at the Nats?
Some years back, I think. That being the case, it suggests that the best fliers in the country think their airplane will fly better than a Nobler.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:40 PM
Joined Apr 2006
65 Posts
Thank you, Jim!

In 1961 the Corvette was also king, but run that '61 today...not so much.
aerohusker is offline Find More Posts by aerohusker
Old Mar 07, 2013, 12:01 AM
KE your cub.
in the gutter, again....
Joined Jun 2005
4,166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
So far, it appears to me that there is no CL plane that clearly flys better than a Nobler.
LOL! Confirmation Bias much?!
Curare is online now Find More Posts by Curare
Old Mar 07, 2013, 11:00 AM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigreflyer View Post
Until you actually build and fly something like an SV-11 you're never going to find out the difference for yourself. Yes, I've flown a Nobler and yes, I fly an SV-11. There's no comparison.
downunder is offline Find More Posts by downunder
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:29 PM
NYC
Joined Apr 2005
326 Posts
Having attended and competed in the last 3 USA nationals ans seeing the best of the best first hand, I can tell you that there are not drastic differences in any of the top designs. Any of these planes,in the right hands is capable of winning!! There were no Noblers and finishers 2 and 3 were electric powered. The most popular design was the SV line ,including myself. I have flown Bob Hunt's designs built by myself and by Bob and can tell you that they are some of the best that I have ever flown. Thats question is very debateable.
bogusbob1 is offline Find More Posts by bogusbob1
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:13 PM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Until you actually build and fly something like an SV-11 you're never going to find out the difference for yourself. Yes, I've flown a Nobler and yes, I fly an SV-11. There's no comparison.
So, what are the differences?
Last edited by tigreflyer; Mar 07, 2013 at 07:26 PM.