SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:33 PM
Registered User
bizzy511's Avatar
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Discussion
can i get your opinion about micro quads pls.

I don;t have many friends that fly, and to be honest it gets boring flying alone. I would like to get a few of my friends into the hobby without breaking the bank.

I am looking for options uner $50 and it has to be RTF, so most likely it will be a quad from banggood.

It is between the v939, v929, hubsan x4, or the minipet.

Which one would you guys recommend, please take durability into account.

Thank you
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
Last edited by bizzy511; Mar 04, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:21 PM
Autopilot no control
United States, FL, Fort Lauderdale
Joined Feb 2013
284 Posts
Syma X1 is under $40 shipped through Amazon, so you have it in a few days. Damn near indestructible, and will make people want more! It is what got my girlfriend and I toying with this hobby. I've had the x1 for maybe a month and I'm already looking for upgrades.

The v949 is also in that range, I just ordered 2 of those through BG to replace the X1s because the LEDs will be fun for night flying. The v959 has attachments (like camera, water gun, bubble blower, sold separate) which may add a fun factor to get your friends intrigued, but a little more expensive.
Highly Grounded is offline Find More Posts by Highly Grounded
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:27 PM
Learning more each day....
craigiri's Avatar
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
633 Posts
Romeo from Massive RC - just about ALL his quads are under $50 and you get immediate shipment and also he pre-checks them. He adds some extras, etc.

I agree that the Syma is the cheapest if you are looking for a bunch of beginners. With shipping included at about $36-39, you can't beat them...BUT,

The Syma is poor in any wind. The X4 is pretty decent in wind. Some of the others are in-between.

I've got a little writeup and some vids on both:
http://droneflyers.com/2013/01/syma-...-less-than-40/
http://droneflyers.com/2013/02/hubsa...ro-quadcopter/

This is Romeo's store - he's a member here and will answer any questions either here or through his store.
http://www.massiverc.com/
craigiri is offline Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:50 PM
GOT WINGS
siriusflier's Avatar
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,492 Posts
I think the Syma X1 and the V929-949-959,etc are considered mini-quads, not micros like the X4, minipet, and V939. The minis usually have pinions on the motors and props are gear driven. MassiveRC is a good store, I have an H36 I got from there in less than a week, and for less than $50 including shipping. I like that quad, it is fast and durable and a micro. Micros handle the wind better than the minis, are lighter, and therefore more crash resistant in my opinion. My favorite right now is the V202, since getting it, I hardly fly my V929s. I think the V202 is a very good beginner quad, it is small, light, crash resistant, stable, and has 5 selectable rates to help you go from beginner to advanced. MRC has it for 50 + shipping. They say the X4 is a very good flier, but breaks easily. I can't say much about the minipet or the V939, but go read those threads a bit to help you make up your mind. If you order from BG, expect to wait 3 or 4 weeks unless you pay for expedited shipping. Hope this helps.

.
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Last edited by siriusflier; Mar 04, 2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: add
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:04 PM
Registered User
dapple63's Avatar
Joined Jun 2005
1,033 Posts
I have the Syma X1, Ladybird V2, Hubsan X4, and V929. The best first purchase (and still working without any repairs) is the X1. It is cheap, stable indoors, has dual rates, and the trick flip button. You can even put a $10 keychain camera on and it works fine.

My favorite (and you can put a keychain camera on any of these) is the Hubsan X4. But it is the least durable of my fleet.
dapple63 is offline Find More Posts by dapple63
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:37 AM
Registered User
bizzy511's Avatar
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
thanks for all the great info. will these smaller quads fly better outside when compared to a fp heli like the msr or wltoy v911?

as of right now how do you guys feel about the quality? for example, are they reliable, or will we be constantly replacing the motherboards?

also i think the 939 & x4 are out of the equation because they are too small.

thanks for the write ups craigiri. i didn/t see it in your article, but does the syma have replacement parts? in the banggood video of the syma, it looked pretty quick outside.
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:45 AM
Registered User
bizzy511's Avatar
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
I think the Syma X1 and the V929-949-959,etc are considered mini-quads, not micros like the X4, minipet, and V939. The minis usually have pinions on the motors and props are gear driven. MassiveRC is a good store, I have an H36 I got from there in less than a week, and for less than $50 including shipping. I like that quad, it is fast and durable and a micro. Micros handle the wind better than the minis, are lighter, and therefore more crash resistant in my opinion. My favorite right now is the V202, since getting it, I hardly fly my V929s. I think the V202 is a very good beginner quad, it is small, light, crash resistant, stable, and has 5 selectable rates to help you go from beginner to advanced. MRC has it for 50 + shipping. They say the X4 is a very good flier, but breaks easily. I can't say much about the minipet or the V939, but go read those threads a bit to help you make up your mind. If you order from BG, expect to wait 3 or 4 weeks unless you pay for expedited shipping. Hope this helps.

.
which rate do you use on the v202 when you fly? do you fly mostly indoor or outdoor?
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:17 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2012
988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Romeo from Massive RC - just about ALL his quads are under $50 and you get immediate shipment and also he pre-checks them. He adds some extras, etc.

I agree that the Syma is the cheapest if you are looking for a bunch of beginners. With shipping included at about $36-39, you can't beat them...BUT,

The Syma is poor in any wind. The X4 is pretty decent in wind. Some of the others are in-between.

I've got a little writeup and some vids on both:
http://droneflyers.com/2013/01/syma-...-less-than-40/
http://droneflyers.com/2013/02/hubsa...ro-quadcopter/

This is Romeo's store - he's a member here and will answer any questions either here or through his store.
http://www.massiverc.com/
do you know what happens if you put a hubsan board on a syma x1 and try to fly it in wind?

neobot is offline Find More Posts by neobot
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:22 AM
Registered User
UniversalRC's Avatar
United States, GA, Mt Airy
Joined Dec 2001
984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizzy511 View Post
which rate do you use on the v202 when you fly? do you fly mostly indoor or outdoor?
+1 on the V202 from MassiveRC, SUPER service and help. I fly 60% indoors and 80% out

You will not go wrong buying from MassiveRC
UniversalRC is offline Find More Posts by UniversalRC
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:26 AM
Registered User
dapple63's Avatar
Joined Jun 2005
1,033 Posts
Quote:
thanks for all the great info. will these smaller quads fly better outside when compared to a fp heli like the msr or wltoy v911?

as of right now how do you guys feel about the quality? for example, are they reliable, or will we be constantly replacing the motherboards?

also i think the 939 & x4 are out of the equation because they are too small.

thanks for the write ups craigiri. i didn/t see it in your article, but does the syma have replacement parts? in the banggood video of the syma, it looked pretty quick outside.
All of them take punishment quite well, and I've never had to replace a board or had any kind of electronic malfunction on any of them. For outdoor flying, the Hubsan X4 cuts the wind best, but I find that the Syma X1 on high rates can take up to an 8-10mph wind without too much trouble; just remove the non-functional canopy and fly with the clear plastic cover over the board. It is when it gusts (even light gusts) that you can get into trouble.

That being said, I know other folks that just didn't have much luck. One kid trashed his Syma X1 on the second flight slamming into the ground hard when he cut power. I've done it a bazillion times without breaking anything on mine.
dapple63 is offline Find More Posts by dapple63
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:47 AM
Registered User
bizzy511's Avatar
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
I forgot to ask; as far as maintenance and repair goes, which would be most hassle free?
For example, if you have to replace a motor; is it plug n play or solder required?
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 08:47 AM
Registered User
bizzy511's Avatar
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dapple63 View Post
All of them take punishment quite well, and I've never had to replace a board or had any kind of electronic malfunction on any of them. For outdoor flying, the Hubsan X4 cuts the wind best, but I find that the Syma X1 on high rates can take up to an 8-10mph wind without too much trouble; just remove the non-functional canopy and fly with the clear plastic cover over the board. It is when it gusts (even light gusts) that you can get into trouble.

That being said, I know other folks that just didn't have much luck. One kid trashed his Syma X1 on the second flight slamming into the ground hard when he cut power. I've done it a bazillion times without breaking anything on mine.
Which one would you say if your favorite?
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:27 AM
GOT WINGS
siriusflier's Avatar
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,492 Posts
I fly my V202 outside mostly at 60 and 80% rates, sometimes at 100%. At 100% you can do consecutive flips, but it will also flip accidently if you are not careful with the sticks. 80% is plenty fast. In my opinion, the micros take less maintenance because they do not have gears to wear out. I am probably getting close to 100 flights with my V202 with no worn out or broken parts. With my V929 I had to replace motors before that because of worn out pinions. Fewer moving parts to me means less maintenance. The micros also handle the wind much better in my opinion. I will take my V202 or H36 out when I wouldn't even consider taking out a V929. But if you think the V939 is too small, then you wouldn't like the V202 or H36 because they are the same size. I have flown them 200 to 300 feet away and still been able to control them and bring them back. I used to think I wanted to go bigger, but with the speed, wind handling, durability, crashability, and little need for maintenance of these micro quads, I no longer care too much about a bigger size. A mini might carry a keyfob camera better, but if you read the V202 thread, you will find that MassiveOverkill has made some very good videos using a slightly modded V202.
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:32 AM
Registered User
bizzy511's Avatar
United States, CA, Fountain Valley
Joined Jan 2011
257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by siriusflier View Post
I fly my V202 outside mostly at 60 and 80% rates, sometimes at 100%. At 100% you can do consecutive flips, but it will also flip accidently if you are not careful with the sticks. 80% is plenty fast. In my opinion, the micros take less maintenance because they do not have gears to wear out. I am probably getting close to 100 flights with my V202 with no worn out or broken parts. With my V929 I had to replace motors before that because of worn out pinions. Fewer moving parts to me means less maintenance. The micros also handle the wind much better in my opinion. I will take my V202 or H36 out when I wouldn't even consider taking out a V929. But if you think the V939 is too small, then you wouldn't like the V202 or H36 because they are the same size. I have flown them 200 to 300 feet away and still been able to control them and bring them back. I used to think I wanted to go bigger, but with the speed, wind handling, durability, crashability, and little need for maintenance of these micro quads, I no longer care too much about a bigger size. A mini might carry a keyfob camera better, but if you read the V202 thread, you will find that MassiveOverkill has made some very good videos using a slightly modded V202.
I assumed that since the v929 was larger it would be more stable and handle wind better. Durability/crash ability is super important. I will definitely check out the v202 reviews. How often do these motors normally last for?
bizzy511 is offline Find More Posts by bizzy511
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:53 AM
GOT WINGS
siriusflier's Avatar
United States, TX, Wilbarger
Joined Apr 2012
2,492 Posts
I have had small motors that only lasted five flights, and some probably at least a hundred flights. These motors are small and cheap. You can get two replacement motors for less than $5 for the micros. If you replace the motors only, you might have to solder. With some like the V939 you can get entire booms with motors that just plug in. But that would not be enough to convince me to get a V939, I think the V202 flies much better. You might be able to replace the entire boom on the V202 without soldering, the motor does plug in, but unless I break a boom or motor mount, I will just be changing out the motor. I think the larger quads do not handle the wind quite as well because of the larger surface area of the frame, canopy, and blades that catch the wind
siriusflier is offline Find More Posts by siriusflier
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Just Ordered An H911 (was: Opinion pls...) stringrazor Beginner Training Area (Heli-Electric) 14 Mar 19, 2013 02:17 PM
Alert Get your lipos while you still can! FlyBoy20 Electric Plane Talk 4 Feb 11, 2013 12:16 PM
Discussion Your Company Just Can't Get It Right BurningHoles Nitro Planes 1 Jan 24, 2013 12:41 PM
Help! Does anybody know where you can get a 700 quad frame? sire162 Multirotor Talk 1 Jan 21, 2013 09:16 PM
For Sale GoPro2 w/BacPac Remote and about everything you can get $310 shippedalm LandenTD FPV Equipment (FS/W) 2 Jan 08, 2013 08:58 PM