HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
Discussion
Best Mini Rotor for 808 Keychain Filming?

Hi folks!

I am a newly-registered user to RCGroups, but I've browsed and lurked here for a while. I recently bought the Hubsan X4, flew it a lot and really enjoyed it. I also picked up the 808 keychain camera # 16 with wide-angle lenses. I wanted to mount it on the Hubsan and get some neat aerial photography/film outdoor scenery shots with it. However, my X4 really struggled to lift the additional weight of the camera, even with a full battery (I didn't remove the casing). I've seen a few videos where guys were flying the X4 without removing the casing on the camera and didn't have any problems, but that didn't happen for me.

So, I'm interested in picking up another mini multirotor now. Is there any in the $70 price range that can easily carry the 808 keychain camera, without having to remove the battery/solder in connections, etc?

Thank you!
quadcopnewb is offline Find More Posts by quadcopnewb
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:04 PM
http://www.fpvportugal.com
Portugal
Joined Feb 2012
4,274 Posts
RC eye one is very stable and powerful.
GhostMaster is online now Find More Posts by GhostMaster
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:16 PM
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
Thanks. However, I read somewhere on these forums (can't find link, big comparison thread on mini multirotors) that it is also quite heavy and doesn't carry the 808 camera well?
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Dec 2011
153 Posts
My blade MQX does a fine job, just balance the props..
kenbad is offline Find More Posts by kenbad
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:36 PM
Learning more each day....
United States, RI, Portsmouth
Joined Nov 2012
714 Posts
You are 100% about X4 being too small.

I've used keychain cams with the Syma X1 and even that quad, which is fairly big for a micro, has a hard time. You can mod the Syma (cut off grams in various ways) to make it work. But the Syma has a hard time in wind also, which complicates matters!

IMHO, and I'm going to follow it up with a purchase, buying the 959 with the included lightweight camera may be the best low-end combo that actually works decently without mods.

Otherwise, you should work on mods such as removing the case from your keychain cam or shaving various parts off your quad to lighten it up.

I hate to spend your money, but going a step up to something like the Hoten-X may end up being the best carrier for a full size 808 #16 cam and great results.

Others have mentioned the Eye One - and I intend to test one as soon as they come out with the next (improved) model......but, again, the added weight to a micro quad is really a killer!
craigiri is online now Find More Posts by craigiri
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,034 Posts
I got my keychain camera on the Hubsan X4 just fine, and it actually is the most jello-free of them. But it does strain.

Though the resolution isn't that great, I'd go with the V959 for that purpose.

The other choice would be the Syma X1 with a cam. Works just fine.
dapple63 is offline Find More Posts by dapple63
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:23 PM
Hubsan X4 - H36 - V911
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Oct 2012
1,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadcopnewb View Post
Thanks. However, I read somewhere on these forums (can't find link, big comparison thread on mini multirotors) that it is also quite heavy and doesn't carry the 808 camera well?
here is the link:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post22894224
bangkomit is offline Find More Posts by bangkomit
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:07 AM
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Sep 2012
709 Posts
Here's my 929 carrying a #16v2.
Not too bad for the price.

V929 Aerial Video test 2 (3 min 15 sec)
natscape is offline Find More Posts by natscape
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:45 AM
Joined Mar 2013
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by natscape View Post
Here's my 929 carrying a #16v2.
Not too bad for the price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0DfXa3Z1vg

Wow, that is really impressive!

Is there an easy way to mount the camera so that it doesn't get the rotors/blades in the shot?
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:22 AM
Madrid, Spain
Joined Oct 2009
580 Posts
I've been using Walkera SpaceWalker with great results:
camera onboard SpaceWalker (4 min 13 sec)

It has 8 motors (plenty of power) and it is more or less palm sized. But it is a bit over priced compared what you asked for. 106 $ RTF with devo4. If you have any devo transmitter 80 $ BNF. On the other hand you don't have to strip or mod the camera, just strap the camera with velcro under the battery holder.

By the way I think it is cooler to see the rotors in the videos.
Ariete is offline Find More Posts by Ariete
Old Mar 07, 2013, 05:40 PM
United States, FL, Yulee
Joined Nov 2011
3 Posts
Hubsan works great

I do a lot of nature videography and keep my Hubsan X4 and 808 in my camera bag. It has always seemed to carry the camera just fine (even in the wind)
Sasquatch1973 is offline Find More Posts by Sasquatch1973
Old Mar 08, 2013, 01:14 PM
Joined Mar 2008
521 Posts
This is my SYMA X1 Quadcopter test flight lifting a 16g keychain camera Video 1

This is my SYMA X1 Quadcopter flying at a 100 plus foot Altitude over my back Yard. Video 2

The SYMA X1 Quadcopter is a very good platform for carrying a Micro 16 gram (808 HD Key Cam) And very cheap to

Check out the X1 Quadcopter thread LOADS OF 808 cam footage on the thread if you look for it

SYMA X1 Quadcopter test flight lifting a 16g keychain camera (0 min 59 sec)

X1 over yatton.My back yard flight (FPV) First Person View. HD (raw footage) No editing.. (2 min 13 sec)
richos is offline Find More Posts by richos
Old Mar 11, 2013, 08:59 PM
Philippines, NCR, Makati City
Joined Sep 2012
709 Posts
Quote:
Wow, that is really impressive!

Is there an easy way to mount the camera so that it doesn't get the rotors/blades in the shot?
Thanks for the compliment.

If you don't want the rotors in the shot, you can get the #16 lens B which is not as wide as the lens D.
natscape is offline Find More Posts by natscape
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:14 PM
AMA 994002
United States, RI, Westerly
Joined May 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Hi folks!

I am a newly-registered user to RCGroups, but I've browsed and lurked here for a while. I recently bought the Hubsan X4, flew it a lot and really enjoyed it. I also picked up the 808 keychain camera # 16 with wide-angle lenses. I wanted to mount it on the Hubsan and get some neat aerial photography/film outdoor scenery shots with it. However, my X4 really struggled to lift the additional weight of the camera, even with a full battery (I didn't remove the casing). I've seen a few videos where guys were flying the X4 without removing the casing on the camera and didn't have any problems, but that didn't happen for me.

So, I'm interested in picking up another mini multirotor now. Is there any in the $70 price range that can easily carry the 808 keychain camera, without having to remove the battery/solder in connections, etc?

Thank you!
My HeliMax 1SQ can carry my 808, I just velcro it under the battery. I have a video somewhere...
HeliMax 1SQ Carrying 808 #8 Keychain Camera (3 min 0 sec)
matiac is offline Find More Posts by matiac
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stability issue
Old Mar 13, 2013, 07:53 AM
Toronto Canada
Joined Dec 2002
5,481 Posts
I was impressed by the performance of the UDI 817C with built in camera.

Takes single shots or video controlled by transmitter. No audio.

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-Ud...a-p-53889.html
Martyn McKinney is offline Find More Posts by Martyn McKinney
Last edited by Martyn McKinney; Mar 13, 2013 at 07:59 AM.