HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Hornet Formula-1 Tunnel Hull Build Log

"Big call....Is there such thing as the perfect upgrade? I think not, and you probably won’t hear it from me. When it comes to FE boats, I’m just a rookie, but given my background in scale aircraft modeling I don’t mind modifying my new ‘not-so-perfect’ toys straight out of the box. Actually I enjoy it as much as playing with them. That’s one of the reasons I got his boat, a challenge to make it better."

Splash

A Tunnel Hull Build with the Perfect Combination of Upgrades

From RCGroup.com user Viper1:

I always wanted an F1 tunnel hull. There are way better hulls and kits out there with higher price tags. And arguably in the long run could even be cheaper then modding a boat straight out the box. But hey, where’s the fun in that?

I will cover the hull modifications and drive upgrade(s), and keep useful changes and updates in the first pages in this thread if possible for easy reference. Hopefully this will become a good info source, centralized in one place, to save prospective owners from browsing all over the net for hours.

There is enough info spread among different forums of the shortcomings and flaws of the standard equipment this boat comes with out-of-the-box but I will cover these as the build comes along.

Goals:

1. Reliability: covering hull reinforcement, installed equipment and outboard upgrade.
  2. Speed: for now 45-50 Mph -70 Km/Hr would be nice, we’ll see.
  3. Looks: have you ‘read’ the stickers on this boat?

Plans so far in my dirty mind to achieve that:

1. Use carbon fiber on the hull bottom in center section (radio box).
  2. Transom reinforcement with aluminum.
  3. Make a proper radio box with good seal, easily accessible.
  4. Make a scale-looking outboard cover for the motor that’s also water-tight, I don’t like the idea of a motor submerged in water after a flip.