HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:55 PM
Tempusfugit
United States, NY, Spencerport
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Help!
Porterfield Collegiate 8 page instruction book.

Hello fellow pilots! I recently purchased a 1980 Astroflight Porterfield Colligiate kit, which is missing the little instruction booklet. I would be grateful to any fellow enthusiast who might have this info in their collection, and could perhaps copy or send it to me. I am looking forward to building and flying this almost vintage plane later this summer, and could use some help. This model is the 69.5 in. wing version, plans are dated 1979. Thanks!
clockguypete is online now Find More Posts by clockguypete
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:09 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,210 Posts
I remember when that kit was easily available. I wish that I had bought one.

Back then, there was a Collegiate that frequented local full size Flyins. It was piloted by an 80s something woman, who was very friendly, and let us get up close to her beautiful aircraft.

I remember the kit being available, but I never saw one in person. Back then, it was common to have a few instructions written on the plans, but no instruction book. This may be the case, here.

Let us know what you find out.

Good luck with your quest.
TomCrump is online now Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:24 PM
Tempusfugit
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
A local club member found a product review of the Porterfield kit in a February 1980 issue of RCM magazine. It is mentioned in that article the list of supplied items in the kit which included build photo's of the prototype, and an 8 page instruction booklet. The plane was designed to be powered by an Astro 10-15 size geared electric motor as recommended by Astro Flight, but a small glow fuel engine could be substituted if desired. I plan to install a small four stroke engine, since I like the realistic sound of a low pitched 4 banger putting around the sky!
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:35 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,210 Posts
Is there enough info on the plans, to build the model, if you can't locate the instructions ?
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:01 AM
Tempusfugit
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Yes I can probably build it, but would prefer to follow a step by step plan since I have not built many planes before.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 09:29 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,210 Posts
I understand.

When you do build it, I hope that you do a build thread. The Collegiate is an unusual subject. You may find that there is some interest in it.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:21 PM
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockguypete View Post
Yes I can probably build it, but would prefer to follow a step by step plan since I have not built many planes before.
I hear you on that. WAY back when I built my 3rd or 4th airplane it was a pattern plane with the instructions on the plans. Well I guess you could call them instructions. They said to build the wing, (even had a small isometric drawing to follow and showed it built as one piece) so I did. Well when it was all done, and I mounted it to the plane, it had anhedral, and not dihedral. I later came to find out that I SHOULD have built the wing upside down, as it got the dihedral from the taper of the airfoil. Flat on the top, and the thick airfoil at the root tapered to a thin one at the tip - thus giving it dihedral. As I built it right side up (as I did with the few planes I did to that point) the bottom was flat, and the taper went the wrong way.
Sure would have been nice to had some real instructions If you don't know what you don't know, no way to know?

FWIW, I did fly the plane and I thought it flew great. But not having flown many planes before that ( and no pattern planes) I'm sure it would have flown better if built properly.
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Old Mar 11, 2013, 12:13 AM
Tempusfugit
Joined Apr 2012
14 Posts
Thanks guys, I just received a 7 page, step by step instruction sheet with little boxes to check off after each step is completed! A fellow modeler from Georgia saw my request and mailed them to me, along with an 8 page RCM review from 1980. I may decide to do a build thread on this, however it is only my second kit build ever attempted. My first was a goldberg anniversary cub back in the late 1980's! Oh wait, I built a couple of control line planes back in 1970 Jr. & Sr. Flight Streaks, how time flies. I was 11yrs old. I have been away from the hobby for 23 yrs, but joined a club last year, and have about 10 ARF's, but wanted to enjoy building something myself. Pete
Last edited by clockguypete; Mar 11, 2013 at 12:22 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:07 AM
Hamburger Eatin' Fool
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
11,210 Posts
I'm glad that you located what you need.

Please post a link on this thread, when you start your build. I'd like to follow your progress.