Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:31 PM
Hey, watch this!
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Feb 2005
455 Posts
Discussion
What today's modeler doesn't know . . .

At the field today I was talking to the designer of the "Rotation Station" CL combat model about the good ole days (70s) when we spent a lot of time in the center of the circle with some other Combat Junkie. Ah, one flip starts, full length matches, multiple cuts per match. Yes, those were the good ole days!

When there was a lull in our reminiscences, an "experienced" 3D R/C pilot asked; "were the planes attached to a pole or something?" It took a few tries to get across the idea of handles, sixty-foot lines, and bell cranks. Jeeze Louise!!

Hey, does anyone have anything on Rich Brasher's Rotation Station?.
Raymond-leflyr is offline Find More Posts by Raymond-leflyr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Whining (not winning)
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Jan 2008
1,159 Posts
There are a large percentage of RC fliers who have never seen a control line plane fly. They are amazed to see a stunt pattern flown, and would not even be able to understand a combat match. On the other hand there are RC fliers who flew control line, and may want to get back into it. The RC field is the best place to look for new control line fliers to add to our ranks.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:18 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
Ignorance is bliss
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:13 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,601 Posts
The last two years my brother and I have flown a full-on F2D match as a demo at The Bruce DLG contest.

Most of the guys have never seen it before and found it pretty unbelievable.

You can see some of their comments here:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/searc...876&query=demo

I think the fact they they are all competition flyers made them understand it a bit better than a typical sport flyer would.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:39 PM
Poteau, OK
Joined Nov 2008
331 Posts
The group of R/C guys that I sometimes fly R/C with got to see me fly some C/L a few months ago. They were blown away at the speed and manueverability of the nostalgic fast combat plane I was flying (a 36X powered Demon)... and it wasn't a "hot" one!!

Was at the field to visit with them a few weeks ago and "Andy" asked if I'd brought my C/L stuff to fly... said he super enjoyed seeing them fly.
LA Ming is offline Find More Posts by LA Ming
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:32 AM
Joined Feb 2009
65 Posts
Down at the field today, and an R/C guy asked us if we were the fellows who fly 'those cable-operated models'. A bit surprising that a modeller who was no spring chicken seemed to have never heard of 'control line'.
steve111 is offline Find More Posts by steve111
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:19 AM
Team Compass/KBDD Team Pilot
Joined Mar 2005
3,330 Posts
My fellow R/C helicopter flyers cannot understand why I am interested in and enjoying Control Line again.

They don't understand that it requires skill, and is difficult to master.

I am learning/re-learning and it it just as hard as learning to fly a helicopter inverted!
Ah Clem is offline Find More Posts by Ah Clem
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:27 PM
Power Upward
United States, OR, Albany
Joined Jun 2007
1,267 Posts
I have not flown control line in a very long time. However, I have flown indoor free flight models at R/C group gatherings and they too were amazed to see another facet of the modeling world. It is hard for someone who thinks a 4 pound airplane is light until they see one that weighs less than two grams. I have also flown 1/2A combat at public shows and it has always captured peoples attention.

George
GeorgeG97322 is online now Find More Posts by GeorgeG97322
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:28 PM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
312 Posts
The RC guys around here see Andy and I flying control line all the time. I've even got a few of them on the handle now and then. Some thenk RC is better because your not so "limited" with maneuvers. Always share with them that there is one thing I can do with control line that they cannot do with RC. Thats fly blindfolded. And its that attachment that I've always liked about control line. Feeling the model and getting feedback.
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:39 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
581 Posts
I'd think there could be another reason. If one lives near a pro stadium and the FAA issues a NOTAMS with model flight restrictions within x number of miles, would they also hinder the "fly by wire" CL fliers too? I think not.
GallopingGhostlr is online now Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:47 PM
Adelaide, South Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,050 Posts
NOTAMS don't include tethered flight such as CL or kite flying. However it probably wouldn't pay to argue with a cop or the Men in Black .
downunder is online now Find More Posts by downunder
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:02 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
NOTAMS don't include tethered flight such as CL or kite flying. However it probably wouldn't pay to argue with a cop or the Men in Black .
FWIW, when the G20 was in town a couple of years ago kite flying was specifically mentioned as prohibited.
And no distinction was made, all model airplane flying was not permitted.
pmackenzie is offline Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:09 AM
Rope Man-4.0 miles
United States, SC, Greenville
Joined Nov 2008
173 Posts
I am happy to say that the The Joe Nall fly in with over a thousand rc pilots will have 3 control line circles for the second year. With an over whelming interest in control line at the Nall the circles were regraded level and grass planted with irrigation installed last summer. A group of control line pilots are bringing 15 planes of different skill levels for people to give control line a try or remember the past. It is great to see control line at such a major event excepted with such great enthusiasm. May11-18, 2013 www.tripletreeaerodrome.com
superbee-rc is offline Find More Posts by superbee-rc
Old Mar 06, 2013, 06:02 AM
United States, MN, Shoreview
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
I have a niebor and his buddy who fly RC. They have never seen CL before. I am nearly done with a scratch built combat plane. I can't wait to see how they react to what a combat control line plane can do.
psychedvike is offline Find More Posts by psychedvike
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:38 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Jan 2013
581 Posts
I'm sure your RC buddies will be impressed, psychedvike. There is a resurgence in CL, some like myself have discovered how fun it really is, and particularly with the larger CL aircraft.
GallopingGhostlr is online now Find More Posts by GallopingGhostlr
RCG Plus Member