HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:10 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Reread my post. I said nothing about where you bought Phoenix. YOU said your only recourse is to get a stolen copy of V3 or newer. That was you talking, not me!!!
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:22 AM
Indianapolis, In
Joined Jan 2010
78 Posts
Quote:
As for the updates for your version 2.5, that version is no longer being supported so that is why the updates are not working. There is currently no upgrade file available for download. A purchase of the upgrade dvd for $26.99 can be arranged. To take advantage of this offer, please file another support ticket with a photo including all of the following: Your interface, the 2.5 disc and a sheet of paper with your name and the current date on it.

This was not a decision made by Horizon Hobby, but by the manufacturer. We are sorry for any inconvenience and value you as a Horizon customer.
This is the reply I got from HH. Kind of stinks. One of the features that sold me on Pheonix was the free updates. I could live with 2.5 but I will probably buy the disc.
aventhu is online now Find More Posts by aventhu
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:23 PM
Activist
Joined Jun 2009
85 Posts
Free is Free

It says clearly on my software that I get free updates. It is not fine print. There is no time limit and I purchased the software because it said free updates. I had Real Fight before and know the difference.

Phoenix, dba Runtime Games, has broken their contract with me and told me that I have no recourse. You can side with that bunch of law breakers if you want. But don't tell me to give them money because it just encourages them. Don't let them get away with changing the rules in the middle of the game. You should demand your free updates rather than to tell me to pay for something again.

I mean it, if you 2.5 guys go down without a squawk then 3.0 is next!

I have "a legit copy" and want updates as advertised. Nothing more and nothing less.

I refuse to be bullied into paying what should be free. If everyone buckled down and let someone break the law (or contract) then they will be free to do so in the future.

BTW per my conversation with a rep at HH "There is no copyright on the software" He went on to say that the problem is that the hardware was the key and someone has recently started selling counterfeits for all the sims. [And this screwing the old customers is their reaction] mine.

Therefore it is not piracy to copy from internet or a friend's CD.
daveapplemotor is offline Find More Posts by daveapplemotor
Old Mar 06, 2013, 01:30 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveapplemotor View Post
Therefore it is not piracy to copy from internet or a friend's CD.
Whatever it takes to ease your conscience.

There is no contract or law here, but even if there was, there's ALWAYS small print. And it ALWAYS applies.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 04:50 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
If you have the original dongle that comes with PhoenixRC you should be OK............... but what's the real problem?? I mailed support yesterday and this is what I got:

"We still offer the “ANY to 4.0k update” on request to customers with very old (2.5 and below) versions of Phoenix, but we are urging customers with these much older CD-ROMs to upgrade their installation media to a new 4.0 DVD as the update file-size is growing extremely large, as is the list of new models and flying sites released in the years since these older versions were available.

We have absolutely no issues with you sharing your updates, but we would still prefer customers updated their installation DVDs in order to provide the fastest, least problematic pathway to the latest version.
"

And sure rules are allowed to change, PhoenixRC v1 is from years ago................
Puzom is offline Find More Posts by Puzom
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:09 AM
Activist
Joined Jun 2009
85 Posts
Any to 4.0 update

Where did you find that? I have lived on the support page for 5 days now trying to get that same update again. I used it a year or so ago when I first got this laptop.

I copied from a friend's CD yesterday to get Phoenix back up.

One disturbing thing: They offered a price for version 2.5 upgrade to 4.0 $26.95. They ignored earlier versions in this. And are they going to penalize me with a higher price because my version is older? Version 1.05j is ancient.

Phoenix is saying something like: 'There are some crooks down the street stealing cars so it will cost you more to get into your own car from now on, Surprise!'
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:19 AM
Activist
Joined Jun 2009
85 Posts
support and rules change

After 5 days I got an email from support that I could pay $26.95 to update if i had 2.5 or newer.

You got a response that had exactly what I needed. I wonder why they didn't tell me?

I ran my own business for 38 years. If I offered a coupon that stated "free" or "discount" then I honored it. PERIOD.

It is dishonest to change the agreement after getting someone's money. I don't care how old V1 is (or how old is the car I want to use).
Should I be penalized for supporting Phoenix longer than the people with version 1.06?

Your 4.? version is at least two days old. Why don't you pay some more money? They said "Free updates " to you, too. Are you willing to pay more for something that you already own?
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:26 AM
Joined Mar 2013
3 Posts
Phoenix Updates

Updated link

http://sdrv.ms/14xwzF1
dionisis1976 is offline Find More Posts by dionisis1976
Last edited by dionisis1976; Mar 07, 2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 06:32 AM
Joined Mar 2013
3 Posts
Hi,

Had the same problem, but found my backups, so here they are.
I am so helpful.
Last edited by dionisis1976; Mar 07, 2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:09 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveapplemotor View Post
Where did you find that? I have lived on the support page for 5 days now trying to get that same update again. I used it a year or so ago when I first got this laptop.

I copied from a friend's CD yesterday to get Phoenix back up.

I just mailed support and this is what the answer was. HH is involved now..........since that day PhoenixRC is no longer the product it was........and probably that's why some rules regarding (free) updates changed too.

Regarding "I copied from a friend's CD yesterday to get Phoenix back up", does this friend happen to be posting links to PhoenixRC updates/dongles on Helifreak? Really great seeing those links and showing people wrong things to get...............

I don't blame them for asking money now, blame those who post the illegal dongles links etc.
Last edited by Puzom; Mar 07, 2013 at 07:27 AM.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:14 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionisis1976 View Post
Hi,

Had the same problem, but found my backups, so here they are.
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resi...ESPx9rKBEeAns8

I am so helpful.
Posting broking links is not helpful
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:33 AM
Activist
Joined Jun 2009
85 Posts
conversaiont with HH rep

I talked a while with a HH rep who says he has version 2.5 himself. His advice was basically to ask Runtime Games to reconsider. Although he did say that since the software was not copyrighted I could find another copy.

I did. My, LHS where I bought my version 1.05j, allowed me to copy his version 4.0.
My LHS owner sold me a product with "free updates". He has integrity and kept his word. I am satisfied.

And NO, emphatically NO, He is not sharing his disc on the internet. I won't deal with crooks. It just empowers and encourages them.
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:41 AM
Joined Mar 2013
3 Posts
Link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzom View Post
Posting broking links is not helpful

Dont know what happened there :S
Old Mar 07, 2013, 07:57 AM
Joined Oct 2007
710 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionisis1976 View Post

Dont know what happened there :S
You copied your post content from post #23 and used it for post #24, links get broken this way
(Edit post first --> copy content. Works better)
Old Mar 07, 2013, 08:00 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveapplemotor
Phoenix is saying something like: 'There are some crooks down the street stealing cars so it will cost you more to get into your own car from now on, Surprise!'
no they are not. That's a bad analogy. You're wanting an upgrade for free. Ford and GM don't offer free upgrades when new models come out. You drive your old car until such time you buy a new car. In the same way, you can use your old copy of Phoenix. Nothing is preventing you from doing that.

As for you saying Phoenix broke their original agreement: you have not posted the entire agreement yet. That jury is still out. Small print, remember? If I see an ad on TV for a free phone, I can't just walk into the store and demand it. There's a star next to it. That star means I have to sign a contract to get the free phone. I'm interested to see what the entire agreement was when Phoenix 1 was current. Not just the parts of the agreement that you like. Period.