Old Mar 03, 2013, 09:47 AM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
552 Posts
Discussion
Help please

Hi,
I have Phoenix V4 and I am having a bit of a problem. I have dual screens, one being a Samsung 42"plasma that I like to run the sim on. My graphics card is a Nvidea GeForce GTS 450 which I have set on "Dualview". I am running XP home edition on the computer. It runs OK but I was trying to optimize it when I ran into the problem. Phoenix says to run in full screen mode for the best results but whenever I turn on "Fullscreen" the sim changes from my TV to my monitor and won't run on the TV till I return it to "Window" mode when it then moves back to the TV. I'm sure there is a setting on my video card that is wrong but I sure can't find it. Please help as I have been trying to figure this out for 3 days now and I am completely baffled. Also I am seeing a lot of bad readings on my altimiters. In the desert 3d flying site when I am on the runway my variometer reads 230.3 feet and the altimeter in my flight info block says 1.5 feet. In the 3d highlands when I take off the land drops away but if I dive down below the runway level my altimeter climbs even though I am decending, what's up with that? Also on the runway in the highlands my variometer reads -345.0' and my altimeter reads +1.5'.
Kim
elimsprint is offline Find More Posts by elimsprint
Last edited by elimsprint; Mar 03, 2013 at 10:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:03 AM
Joined Feb 2013
6 Posts
Have you tried switching the 42 to your primary display in Windows before starting Phoenix? My guess is that Pv4 full screen mode defaults to the primary display.
Godfather1138 is offline Find More Posts by Godfather1138
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:20 AM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
552 Posts
Thanks Godfather1138, I'll give that a try but that would only be a temporary fix as I don't have the TV on except to fly on the sim. I'll report back ASAP.
Kim
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:26 AM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
552 Posts
Nope, that's not the answer. It still goes to my monitor even switched with the TV as primary.
Kim
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:44 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
I can duplicate your issue, although I use RF insteasd of Phoenix. I'll play around with it and see what I can figure out.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Mar 03, 2013, 10:59 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
I was able to get RF to show on my other monitor (your 42") by making it the primary display before running RF. It appears that RF looks up the primary display when RF is launched. Changing primary displays while RF is running has no effect on which display it shows on. Try changing your Nvidia setting, then launch Phoenix. It should recognize your 42" as the primary display then, if it is so set. You'll just have to do that every time you run Phoenix.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:45 AM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
552 Posts
Thanks jeffpn, I'll try that.
Kim
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:34 PM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
552 Posts
Well that seems to work but what a PITA to keep switching back and forth as it keeps moving my desktop icons all around each time. I'm going to email phoenix and see what they have to say. All that said I didn't think the fullscreen display was that much better anyways but this is the first time I have been able to see it on the plasma. Anyone got any ideas about the altimeters and why they are out of whack?
Kim
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:55 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
It's not a Phoenix issue. It's a graphics issue. It had to do with the way your Nvidia settings are, and with DirectX. It may be a pain to change it every time, but you are doing something that the vast majority of people do. Ironically, my Windows Photo screensaver works on the second monitor, not the primary monitor!!
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:29 PM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
552 Posts
I can't find any setting I can change in Nvidea that makes it work right, what a PITA. I wonder if it is a Nvidea only issue and a different brand of video card would work better?
Kim
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:57 PM
No conspiracy in theory
Oak Ridge, Tenn.
Joined Aug 2004
3,625 Posts
For systems that require adjustments before running a sim, try something like Razor Game Booster.
It allows you to stop/start other programs semi-automatically!
I'll have to look into wether it'll allow monitor changes....
Just thinkin'
Mike.
skorski is offline Find More Posts by skorski
Last edited by skorski; Mar 03, 2013 at 02:24 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:05 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
I thought you said earlier that you had it working on the big screen. But like you said, it throws all of your icons on the TV. If it helps, Logitech makes a smartphone app that makes your phone a mousepad.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 02:14 PM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
552 Posts
jeffpn, If only I had a phone, lol. I don't even have a cell much less a smart phone, I hate them! I do have it working but a giant PITA to go back and forth so if I can find a way to not have to go through that all the time I will do it. skorski, I will look into the Razer thing. Still no ideas on my altimeter problems?
Kim
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:00 PM
No conspiracy in theory
Oak Ridge, Tenn.
Joined Aug 2004
3,625 Posts
P.S.
C-net has it here free! : http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0...form%3DWindows

Mike.
skorski is offline Find More Posts by skorski
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:06 PM
Oh No, not again!!!
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Sep 2003
552 Posts
I've got it downloaded, now to see what it does if I can figure it all out, lol. I love technology, I just don't understand it!!!!!! Thanks for the help.
Kim