Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:03 AM
United States, GA, Gray
Joined Apr 2007
878 Posts
Discussion
Fun cub built tips

First off, I am aware of the big fun cub thread, but after picking through the first 500 posts, I can say that posts that are usefull are very well hidden. Once i got to people complaining about where the kit is manufactured, i gave up. I do not feel like wading through that mire any longer.

So, any quick and dirty tips you can give me? I am going to update my post with my observations upon completion.
Disarray is offline Find More Posts by Disarray
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 12:24 PM
Joined Jun 2005
3,783 Posts
This won't seem like much...

but we did just finish one, and I agree with you about people cluttering up a perfectly good thread with jerky BS.

The windows are on a translucent film, so if you are going to paint your model,
do it before you put the windows on.

The plastic wingspar brace needs to have a drill of the same diameter as the spar tube run into it all the way to the middle, so the tubes will go all the way in.
(Owing to a small mis-alignment in the mold, you may get a part that blocks the spar tube. This is not a reason to whine to customer- service. Just fix it!
Good luck with your model!
Lancer31 is offline Find More Posts by Lancer31
Last edited by Lancer31; Mar 04, 2013 at 03:34 PM. Reason: add pics
Old Mar 14, 2013, 07:57 AM
United States, GA, Gray
Joined Apr 2007
878 Posts
As promised, here are the tips I have picked up and incorporated so far:

1. Center section of fuse has given some trouble, so I reinforced it like this:

2. I also went with an aluminum motor mount to avoid the vibration problem some have had.

3.i have done a bungee mod to the landing gear. I did this because I used a huge motor, will be swinging a 13" prop and would like to avoid prop strikes.

4. I made a photo copy of the written part of the directions, so I did not have to flip back a d forth in the book. And I could x out each section as I completed it.
Disarray is offline Find More Posts by Disarray
Last edited by Disarray; Apr 04, 2013 at 04:33 AM.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 05:05 PM
Victoria B.C. Canada
Joined Aug 2007
217 Posts
I added a carbon fiber rod that goes inside the plastic wing spar from tip to tip. Makes the wing a lot stiffer for those crazy flights.
robbthepilot is offline Find More Posts by robbthepilot
Old Apr 02, 2013, 05:45 PM
Hanover, VA
United States, VA, Mechanicsville
Joined Oct 2007
52 Posts
Funcub mods

I too have been trying to read through the main thread but find it frustrating. I would like to run a turnigy 35-42 800ish kv motor and will most likely get the aluminum motor mount. I want to be able to hover and STOL. Slow flight is fine for me. Any other suggestions on the build? I'm thinking of going all metal gear servos but not sure if that is over kill. What C rating are people using. I plan on using 2200 mAh 25-35 C batteries. I'm expecting to have to add weight to the tail to get it to balance.
raamedicva is offline Find More Posts by raamedicva
Old Apr 02, 2013, 08:02 PM
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined Jun 2009
145 Posts
I just received my 'Fun Cub" kit and I guess it's a pretty fresh kit as heads up was out of stock for awhile. Anyway there is a Hitec metal motor mount plate in the parts bag and it's mentioned in the instruction book. This is not the one with slotted mount holes, it's the one with the mounting holes drilled in a circle. Maybe this is common knowledge, but I didn't know it. I bought the more expensive one for more motor options, but you can save some money if you pick the right motor .
cbinfl is offline Find More Posts by cbinfl
Old Apr 03, 2013, 12:20 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,138 Posts
I built mine as is from the box. I can't recall having any gripes.
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim