HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:42 PM
Fly Fast, Fly Hard, Fly Fun
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCrashTestDummy View Post
Ah, this is good news. I plan to to the same, very soon. Did you just follow the vid you posted in the last thread, and are there any other tips you can share? For example; did you have to reset everything? (PI Editor / Mode Settings / Stick Scaling / Etc.) I've been thinking about ordering a back-up KK2, but I really don't know what else I'll be getting myself into, because Chris had everything set-up for me.

I'm also thinking about taking a crack at flashing the ESC's and going back to the 20 amp one's to save some weight. My Skywalker 40 amp ESC's are cooking after a single batt. This may have something to do with the foam I placed underneath them for protection. I plan to remove the foam, then turn them upside down so the flat side (Heatsink side?) touches the arms...

I don't know Your thoughts anyone?

-Pat
I've only done it once Pat, so I'm not really sure how closely I followed the video. One thing that wasn't clear was that the power for the KK2 comes from the 6 pin ribbon cable. If you have the 6 pin cable on correctly, and the USB flash tool is plugged in and working correctly, the KK2 should light up.

I hadn't used the KK2 before flashing it so I just started programming it after with Chris's recommended settings. When I wasn't sure I looked at the settings on the CNC 355 to compare.

ESCs - I've been thinking about cutting out the heat shrink over top of the heatsink area so that it would be fully connected to the arms on the heli, then using the heat shrink right over that part of the arm to hold on the whole unit. The annoying thing there is the capacitor is to bulky so the headsink doesn't look like it will make very good contact with the arm... might have to shim it with more metal?
rexless is offline Find More Posts by rexless
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:44 PM
Joined Apr 2007
480 Posts
Had a chance to fly my armattan 355 today......shes going great!.....
Quad Copter (3 min 19 sec)
symon is offline Find More Posts by symon
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:29 PM
USA, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Feb 2011
417 Posts
Quote:
jsflyrv,

I think including links to the Armattan threads from the Classifieds on page one of this thread, might be very helpful to those who may be looking at them for the first time. There is a TON of great info, along with very helpful vid's made by Chris.

Thanks,

-Pat
I can do that or select some of the pages, but I think a lot of the information is obsolete such as the ordering info, that is why I included a link to Chris's web site for ordering info or getting in touch with Chris.

It is probably not necessary to include all the people that have ordered all of the previous orders that have been filled. As I PMed with Chris I really want this to be a place people can discuss problems, show videos, show off your Armattan. ask for help etc. I am more than willing to have people post links to things for sale or have Chris show off his new designs and changes and even how to get in touch with him to order.
I just dont want to use this discussion thread as a classified thread. If you are selling yours and list it in the classified fell free to link to the classified number.
Always open to any and all ideas, thanks everyone for all the post and videos so far this has been great...... ok I went ahead and added links to the first three classified Armattan threads on page one, there is a lot of good information in those links.

Jerry
jsflyrv is offline Find More Posts by jsflyrv
Last edited by jsflyrv; Mar 04, 2013 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Added information regarding links on page one
Old Mar 04, 2013, 10:26 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Oct 2012
664 Posts
Don't recall seeing a night flight - this isn't exactly at night - but is at dusk and shows how the LEDs really help!

3-4-13 - Flying at Dusk (1 min 55 sec)
jdr00ejr is online now Find More Posts by jdr00ejr
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:28 AM
United States, CA, La Mesa
Joined Dec 2012
163 Posts
So I finally got my 258 back in the sky today! I decided to go with some rc man child 30a simonk esc's on my 2200kv motors just to be safe since a 20a one decided to kick the bucket. They performed beautifully as I managed to burn through 9 batteries back to back and the esc's and motors were just a little warm.

Here's some video of the "maiden" flight after almost 2 months of sitting on my desk collecting dust.
Armattan 258 (3 min 21 sec)
miniquad22 is offline Find More Posts by miniquad22
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:10 AM
United States, NV, Carson City
Joined Jun 2012
147 Posts
Wow while I was at work today some of you were flying and doing a great job at it.
@symon nice flips and rolls enjoyed that -- one of these days I'll be doing that -- I hope

@ jdr00ejr Nice and bright for sure gives clear orientation and David did a Two Thumbs up Job

@miniquad22 Love the flight what else can I say 258 was my first and I use the same esc's now on mine. rcmanchild does good work on them.

Got to go and watch all these videos again for sure on YouTube now -- Carl
cmeisteriii is offline Find More Posts by cmeisteriii
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by cmeisteriii; Mar 05, 2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:38 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Thanks rexless!

I will go ahead and record my current settings just to play it safe. I think removing the heat shrink, then bridging the gap between the ESC's and arm's using a piece of aluminum is a great idea! I'll try mounting them as they are, and if I'm not getting a decent reduction in heat, I'll take a crack at bridging the gap to see if that helps.

Chris just shipped my CNC 540 and I plan to have it put together soon. I can't freaking wait! AND I promise to try a little harder this time around, and put together a much "cleaner" build.

-Pat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexless View Post
I've only done it once Pat, so I'm not really sure how closely I followed the video. One thing that wasn't clear was that the power for the KK2 comes from the 6 pin ribbon cable. If you have the 6 pin cable on correctly, and the USB flash tool is plugged in and working correctly, the KK2 should light up.

I hadn't used the KK2 before flashing it so I just started programming it after with Chris's recommended settings. When I wasn't sure I looked at the settings on the CNC 355 to compare.

ESCs - I've been thinking about cutting out the heat shrink over top of the heatsink area so that it would be fully connected to the arms on the heli, then using the heat shrink right over that part of the arm to hold on the whole unit. The annoying thing there is the capacitor is to bulky so the headsink doesn't look like it will make very good contact with the arm... might have to shim it with more metal?
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:43 PM
Finding Creative Ways To Crash
Joined Jun 2012
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsflyrv View Post
ok I went ahead and added links to the first three classified Armattan threads on page one, there is a lot of good information in those links.

Jerry
Thanks Jerry!

I really appreciate you taking time to put this thread together and look forward to being a part of it.

Take care,

-Pat

P.S. @ Symon, jdr00ejr, and miniquad22, GREAT stuff you guys, keep it coming!
RCCrashTestDummy is offline Find More Posts by RCCrashTestDummy
Last edited by RCCrashTestDummy; Mar 05, 2013 at 02:59 PM.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:08 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
Quote:
Thanks rexless!
I will go ahead and record my current settings just to play it safe. I think removing the heat shrink, then bridging the gap between the ESC's and arm's using a piece of aluminum is a great idea! I'll try mounting them as they are, and if I'm not getting a decent reduction in heat, I'll take a crack at bridging the gap to see if that helps.
Chris just shipped my CNC 540 and I plan to have it put together soon. I can't freaking wait! AND I promise to try a little harder this time around, and put together a much "cleaner" build.
-Pat
I can't wait to see the 540!! Definitely show if you do cut the heat shrink... It's still cold enough here that I won't be looking at this at least until things heat up a bit. I crashed my 355 yesterday and bent 3 arms, busted 3 props but the best part... I was upside-down! I didn't exactly mean to try a flip but that's what happened. If I was 20' higher I might have completed it even!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniquad22 View Post
So I finally got my 258 back in the sky today! I decided to go with some rc man child 30a simonk esc's on my 2200kv motors just to be safe since a 20a one decided to kick the bucket. They performed beautifully as I managed to burn through 9 batteries back to back and the esc's and motors were just a little warm.
Here's some video of the "maiden" flight after almost 2 months of sitting on my desk collecting dust.
http://youtu.be/QuKet0PGkkY
Nice double! Thanks for the video

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdr00ejr View Post
Don't recall seeing a night flight - this isn't exactly at night - but is at dusk and shows how the LEDs really help!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quhU4...ature=youtu.be
"Self Level, Self Level" - I love that! The lights are excellent. Which LED strips are you using?

Here's a video from the night my first M Armattan went away.
M370 The Night It Flew Away (2 min 16 sec)

And yesterday's flight. At the start you can see the Armattan M frame build I'm working on. I had a strange issue with the ESC. I replaced it and now it hovers so I'm looking to take it out for the maiden flight today hopefully. I checked the solder joints last night but they all seemed good. I redid them all just in case but I think it's a defunct ESC.

Quadcopter and Fixed Pitch Helicopter (11 min 5 sec)
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
664 Posts
Quote:
"Self Level, Self Level" - I love that! The lights are excellent. Which LED strips are you using?
LOL....for some reason he thought I was going to hit the camper. I wasn't worried, but he sure was. LOL And Self Level was already on.

The LEDs are Strip LEDs from Hobby King. Didn't realize it until I got them but ended up with White in "Waterproof" and Red in Not. If I was ordering again - this is what I'd order.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...%20Strip%20Red

Enjoyed your videos. The camera set-up in the second one was interesting.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:52 PM
Canada, BC
Joined Apr 2012
1,535 Posts
I used self level a lot before but now I'm trying to learn to do it manually... and that's probably why I have been crashing a lot more lately. I'm trying to get the hang of this thing! LED's help with orientation but I find I still get mixed up on the direction of tilt sometimes. I have a green strobe on the back of mine now to help but it's not enough.

Video - thanks! I like experimenting with the cameras. Unfortunately the camera on my phone is sketchy. It drops frames and the audio eventually loses sync with the video. I'm thinking of grabbing another 808#16, maybe with the B or D lense for wider angle views. That or wait until summer and get a new phone when the contract expires. Choices...

Any chance you'll do a full-night view of that quad? Just don't do what I did and lose it!!
Old Mar 05, 2013, 03:59 PM
Joined Oct 2012
664 Posts
Quote:
I used self level a lot before but now I'm trying to learn to do it manually... and that's probably why I have been crashing a lot more lately. I'm trying to get the hang of this thing!

Any chance you'll do a full-night view of that quad? Just don't do what I did and lose it!!
I've have a few stents with SL off - but have got to feel better about orientation and tilt before I do too much on my own. Like you mentioned that's where I'm struggling as well - especially further away from me.

Weather and life dictate - but definitely want to fly at full dark so we'll see what happens.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:19 PM
Can you flip that over for me?
Canada, SK, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2013
112 Posts
Wow.

Hey Chris, I got my Armattan today. Still haven't had a chance to go through the whole box. But did find this little gem in it. You out did yourself. Many Thanks.

Cheers
Stef
superfets is offline Find More Posts by superfets
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:37 PM
USA, OR, Hillsboro
Joined Feb 2011
417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfets View Post
Hey Chris, I got my Armattan today. Still haven't had a chance to go through the whole box. But did find this little gem in it. You out did yourself. Many Thanks.

Cheers
Stef
Nice, are the holes different sizes for different size connectors?
jsflyrv is offline Find More Posts by jsflyrv
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:28 PM
Joined Jun 2011
8,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superfets View Post

Cheers
Stef
Thanks for touching base. Glad this found you well, Sir.

Best,
Chris
bobepine is offline Find More Posts by bobepine
Site Sponsor