HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:33 PM
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
Discussion
led lights

so i have a 5 channel receiver and i want to run lights at the front of my hor

am i right in assuming once i supply power to the receiver via the esc that i can take a positive and minus from a spare channel on my rcvr and run the lights

or do i have to piggy back from the esc line for it to work ?
bikefan is offline Find More Posts by bikefan
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Oct 2011
160 Posts
I believe you can use the rx to power the lights. Try a google search and see what you can come up with. I know they make switches that plug into spare channels on your rx that controls LEDs but I'm not sure exactly what the switch does. Maybe different on modes like flashing or solid? But I think you can still do it without that part even though you can get one pretty cheap. Now I'm interested and will have to do some research on it. The HORs are already very scale looking, one with headlights and taillights would be fricken sweet! Maybe even some marker lights on the side of the fairings! Oh I'm all excited now and want to start a new project. Thanks for the idea lol let me know what you find and ill do the same.
htmlhuh is offline Find More Posts by htmlhuh
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:02 PM
Joined Jan 2012
148 Posts
Mmm, lights would go a long way to turning a stock HOR into a Factory 750 endurance racer - you know, Bol D'Or, Le Mans, Suzuka 8 Hour, Spa 24 hours......esp if you put a Jena single sided swinger on it with Factory Honda paintwork - wow, Gardner Doohan circa early 90's....uber cool.....
zander749 is offline Find More Posts by zander749
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:06 PM
Joined Jan 2012
148 Posts
....Something like this: The amazing Honda NR750. This was effectively a V8 engine with 4 cylinders. Those clever Honda boffins developed oval pistons with twin conrods and 2 spark plugs per cyclinder.
'Immensely fast with great traction and drive out of the corners. Dont know why they stopped develoment (probably insane costs) but it did lead to the ultra rare NR750 road bike.
zander749 is offline Find More Posts by zander749
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:09 AM
Joined Oct 2011
160 Posts
Love that bike. It is one of my ultimate dream bikes and in the top 5 of all time favorites. Tamika makes a 1/12 kit. Convert it to Rc and bam super rare fun! I would live to have one in 1/8 scale or find one to use as a mold to make some lexan bodies from. Ok now I'm thread jacking. Sorry guys. Back to the lights! Lol
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:21 AM
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
yes i have the controller unit but with a 9400kv xcelorin and a shock 40 brushless esc coupled with a 5 channel receiver means no more space left and ive even taken the controller out of the its plastic box the stoopid thing is ive already drilled and mounted the two red rear leds in a silver washer glued in place looks fricken sweet i might add
and two on the front but now no room to house the unit it wont go anywhere not under the tail unit and not inside so far the only place half feasable is in the battery compartment but means no uber big batteries im pretty sure rcvr ive off 6 volts off black and red

ill keep you posted html
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:57 AM
Joined Oct 2011
160 Posts
Ok let me know I'm about to do a search now I have some free time. Post some pics of the lights installed if you can. I would love to see how great they look. If I find out anything ill post it.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
160 Posts
From what I've read you can just plug the lights into the extra channel on your rx. Some radios work differently as far as the channels go for instance if you just plug it in the lights might stay on all the time until you turn the bike off and some might not light up until you activate that extra channel and others send a pulse signal when that extra channel is activated so when you turn on the extra channel the lights may come on and then go off depending if the extra channel is momentary or not. Plug it in and give it a try only 1 of 3 things can happen. I'm going to do a little more searching but I highly doubt you will hurt your rx by plugging the LEDs straight into it. They draw so little current. Just make sure the polarity is correct or they won't come on. LEDs do have a pos and neg.
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:26 AM
Austria
Joined Jan 2007
640 Posts
Don't plug the LEDs directly into the RX!
If they work at all, it will be only for a short time.

All Receivers are the same, there are three Pins on each channel:
- Ground (Usually the Pin closest to the edge of the case)
- +5V (BEC-Voltage, ALWAYS the pin in the middle)
- Signal

If you want to switch the LEDs on and off, you need some electronics that understand the Signal from your Transmitter. You can rip the electronics off a broken servo to get this.
If you want the LEDs to be on as soon as the RX gets power, just use the +5V and GND Pins, but use a Resistor to control the Amps to the LED.
There are lots of webpages that calculate the size of the resistor for you, but you may need some data from the LED.
Gartenzwerg is offline Find More Posts by Gartenzwerg
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:28 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
100% correct there as most small LED work on low voltages.
If you Google LED resisitor calculator you will find a very user friendly online calculator but you will need
1 Supply voltage from your Rx supply
2 The LED operating voltage ~ Find that out from the supplier
3 The current draw of the LED ~ Normally 25 to 30 Ma each but again ask the supplier
4 How many LED in use ~ You can either run a single resistor to each LED or when doing your calculation add up all the Ma and work it as a single LED .The only issue here is if one LED blows the extra amp could then blow all the other ones .That won't happen if each LED has its own resistor
Don't forger LED's will only work in one direction so you need to get the +&~ correct or they won't work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gartenzwerg View Post
Don't plug the LEDs directly into the RX!
If they work at all, it will be only for a short time.

All Receivers are the same, there are three Pins on each channel:
- Ground (Usually the Pin closest to the edge of the case)
- +5V (BEC-Voltage, ALWAYS the pin in the middle)
- Signal

If you want to switch the LEDs on and off, you need some electronics that understand the Signal from your Transmitter. You can rip the electronics off a broken servo to get this.
If you want the LEDs to be on as soon as the RX gets power, just use the +5V and GND Pins, but use a Resistor to control the Amps to the LED.
There are lots of webpages that calculate the size of the resistor for you, but you may need some data from the LED.
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:24 AM
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
i was going to put it in gnd and +5v i kinda knew about the resistors and now i know exactly which resistors to use thats awesome i only want the leds on all the time ..... so cheers for the reply
Old Mar 04, 2013, 07:20 PM
Joined Oct 2011
160 Posts
From what I've read and understood the LEDs were made to plug into the rx? Did I misunderstand that? I apologize if so but if they have a plug on them that is made to go into one of the channel ports and they were a kit then they should have the appropriate resistors inline. I've read many posts where others have plugged their LEDs directly into a spare channel port. But always do your research and triple check if your unsure. Regardless of any response you get you want to be positive. Now I feel bad because I don't think I understood the post entirely and may have pointed bikefan in the wrong direction
Old Mar 05, 2013, 06:11 AM
United Kingdom, England, Ware
Joined Aug 2012
169 Posts
No need to feel bad as you are correct that if they came as a plug and play set up with the correct plug to go into the Rx then the supplier must have taken care of the resistor issue .They are very small and easily hidden behind some heat shrink so would go un noticed
It is only if you start making up a set from scratch that you need to be aware of the need for correct resistor

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlhuh View Post
From what I've read and understood the LEDs were made to plug into the rx? Did I misunderstand that? I apologize if so but if they have a plug on them that is made to go into one of the channel ports and they were a kit then they should have the appropriate resistors inline. I've read many posts where others have plugged their LEDs directly into a spare channel port. But always do your research and triple check if your unsure. Regardless of any response you get you want to be positive. Now I feel bad because I don't think I understood the post entirely and may have pointed bikefan in the wrong direction
Jimob23 is offline Find More Posts by Jimob23
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:30 PM
Joined Feb 2013
27 Posts
all good html no dramas am still collecting parts to build the bike and hopping it up
im just trying to make sure everything is smack on
im a perfectionist so i wont be using this thing until its all running minter
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:44 PM
Joined Oct 2011
160 Posts
Ok glad to know I didn't give you bad info and you burn anything up. For some reason I thought for sure you said you bought a light strip from somewhere but yes if your making your own you def need to make sure the polarity is correct and the resistance. You can buy servo ends off the net real cheap. I forget what they are called. Different brand use different styles too but rc's are made to accept all of them. It's something like a j connector or something. Ill find it and post a link for you. Tower hobbies has them as well as probably any other hobby site and of course the glorious auction site we all visit frequently.