SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:05 PM
Joined Apr 2006
177 Posts
Discussion
Does Real Flight require the disk be inserted to work?

I am considering buying Real Flight to use on my laptop. Although the laptop has ATI Radeon HD 6320/6290 graphics, so it should handle the video, it does not have a disk drive.

I can use an external disk drive to load the software, but am wondering if the disk needs to be inserted when running the simulator...if so, I would need to always have the external drive available and connected...
rwpeek is offline Find More Posts by rwpeek
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 06:54 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
No, the disk does not need to be inserted for Real Flight to run.
jeffpn is offline Find More Posts by jeffpn
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:31 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
I'd be very cautious about that graphics. Make sure you try the demo at realflight.com to make sure performance will be adequate.
Old Mar 05, 2013, 01:46 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffpn View Post
I'd be very cautious about that graphics. Make sure you try the demo at realflight.com to make sure performance will be adequate.
Agreed my laptop is more powerful than this and it struggles to run RF.
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:43 PM
Joined Apr 2006
177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Agreed my laptop is more powerful than this and it struggles to run RF.
These are the relevent specs of the ASUS 1225B netbook...

AMDŽ APU E450 1.65GHz (dual core)/C60 1.0GHz (dual core) Processor *2

AMDŽ Radeon HD 6320/AMDŽ Radeon HD 6290*2

DDR3, 1 x On Board Memory, 2GB/4GB *4

How does that stack up compared to what others are running Real Flight 6.5 on? Will it work well?
Old Mar 08, 2013, 06:50 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
How did the demo perform?
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:55 PM
Joined Apr 2006
177 Posts
Tried the Demo

The demo works, and as far as I can tell functions fine - I don't know what difference a more powerful computer would make. I can control the elevator and rudder and throttle and the plane seems to fly smoothly.

The RF specs say an optimum system would be a dual core 2.4 ghz processor, and mine is dual core 1.65 ghz. Not ideal, but it seems to be ok with the limited demo features.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 01:34 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
The demo worked great on my laptop also i dont think the demo is a good indication that RF will rum smooth as the demo is only a photo field not a 3D flying site.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:05 AM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
i dont think the demo is a good indication that RF will rum smooth as the demo is only a photo field not a 3D flying site.
That simply means that you don't run a 3D field on a weak laptop. At least the photofields function adequately. I don't run 3D fields on my weak laptop.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 05:17 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
That simply means that you don't run a 3D field on a weak laptop. At least the photofields function adequately. I don't run 3D fields on my weak laptop.
Yep as long as he is aware of that.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 03:57 PM
Joined Apr 2006
177 Posts
What is a 3D field?

Are most of the fields three dimensional 3D, and how are they different than other fields?
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:05 PM
Joined Apr 2006
177 Posts
jeffpn - would the two thermal fields in RF6.5 be photofields or 3D fields? How does your laptop compare to mine in terms of processor...mine is:

AMDŽ APU E450 1.65GHz (dual core)/C60 1.0GHz (dual core) Processor *2

If my processor is at least as powerful as yours then I'll assume the photofields will be ok for training. I realize the graphics processor is very important also but since mine is a separate chip I assume it will not be a limitor.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:06 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
About half the fields are 3D fields, and half of them are photofields. Most times, I only use one particular photofield, because it's the USAF Museum, which is just a couple miles down the road from me. It's home!! I don't fly 3D fields very much.

3D fields are entirely computer generated. All of the objects exist in their own space. You can fly from cockpit view, and pass the objects, etc. You can also set the pilot view or spawn wherever you want it to be.

Photofields are a picture backdrop. The pilot view is wherever the camera was that took the panoramic picture. It cannot be changed. There can be 3D objects in a photofield, meaning you can crash into them. You cannot walk up to them like you can in a 3D field.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 04:09 PM
Joined Mar 2011
1,326 Posts
The thermal fields are 3D fields, but you could make your own thermal fields at a photofield. I honestly don't know what my laptop's CPU is. I think it's a Celeron, but I don't know what speed. I'll look into it later. I don't use the laptop for RF too much, unless I'm working out of town. But then, I'd be at the hotel bar anyway, not using RF!! I also have integrated graphics on the laptop. It does in a pinch, but it's not a good performer.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 06:30 PM
Joined Mar 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Oh. My laptop has ATI mobility Radeon HD 5650.

It runs most of the latest games but some of the more intensive ones it clears minimum rather than recommended. Although looking to buy Phoenix I think.

Will I be in trouble?
Pontius_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Pontius_Pilot