HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:46 PM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Question
Top Flite Sierra

Any other fliers have an older Top Flite Sierra? I was given one by my step son and finally assembled it, converting it to a tail dragger by attaching the LG forward about 4" and adding on to the bottom of the rudder to which a steering tail wheel control was added.

Tried to takeoff on wheels, but did not realize at the time that I needed the tail off the ground to get to speed.

Finally this year put skis on it and got it off and flew it for a good while after solving fuel leakage due to no 'o' ring where the exhaust pressure comes in.

Using an Evolution .40, 10 x 6 prop, with the baffle removed, flying from 7,000' elevation, which would tend to cause rich condition. Tach says I'm about 1000 rpm under max. Since my takeoff area is downhill, the run was about 30 yards or so.

This is my first glow R/C in preparation for final completion and flying of a scale Champ I built some years ago.

First had to learn on foamy, HZ Super Cub, then taught myself 3 channel, then converted to Brushless, then flattened the wing and created ailerons, all in prep to get to the Sierra.

See photos. Would love to hear from other Sierra fliers. BTW, I posted here as the trainer area didn't seem to exactly relate.

jaksno
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Last edited by jaksno; Mar 03, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:01 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,426 Posts
Man, I just got a chill from looking at all that white stuff!
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:11 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,804 Posts
I was given one many years back. Had a ton of dihedral. I'm gonna cut the wing and reduce it to more reasonable and use it as a demo plane for the club. Currently in the bones.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:16 PM
USA, AZ, Phoenix
Joined May 2003
3,426 Posts
I trained a few on that plane - I liked it as it had no bad habits.
tailskid2 is offline Find More Posts by tailskid2
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 03, 2013, 11:22 AM
Norwood, CO
Joined Jul 2009
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailskid2 View Post
I trained a few on that plane - I liked it as it had no bad habits.
I got it re-tuned yesterday and flew it for 10 minutes or so. It seemed to have a desire to turn left, but I think that was just a rudder trim prob. I was a bit nervous, this was the second real flight, and gave it full right trim on the ailerons, not really thinking about the rudder. So it flew, but was twitchy with power, OK with 50%.

On the previous flight I tried rudder and found it would yaw like crazy immediately. I have the control rod in the outermost horn hole on the rudder, but need to double check the servo arm position. I did increase the area of the rudder and the steerable tailwheel would also add to the action I imagine.

When I get to a point where I am much more coordinated and my reactions are much more 'pure', that yaw ability might be real fun in some wind to lose altitude quickly - we'll see.

The skis are a lot of fun on crusty snow.

Has anyone else out there converted this or another trainer to 'conventional' LG as I did?

Thanks for the looksee and the comments. Here's pics from yesterday's flight.

Jaksno
jaksno is offline Find More Posts by jaksno
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:25 PM
United States, TX, Leander
Joined Sep 2003
2,804 Posts
Oh yes, cross stick flying is fun.
Edwin
edwin1 is online now Find More Posts by edwin1