HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:47 AM
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
Discussion
Trimming Syma X1 quadcopter

Hello;

Just got a new Syma X1 quad-copter. I'm new to quad-copters in general. I believe I understand the trimming, but I'm wondering if I'm just not doing something right, or if I have a bad X1.

For those familiar with the X1, I have the TX in "mode 2", which I've read is equivalent to "mode 4" in the quad-copter world.

After allowing the gyro to self-calibrate and binding the TX, I apply throttle and the X1 immediately drifts directly to the left. This is indoors with no air currents. I use the "sideward fly fine-tuning" trim switch, and I can get it to the point where the X1 will either drift Very Slowly to the left or, if I adjust the trim switch the other way, Very Slowly to the right. In other words, I can't get it to stay put.

What does this mean? Bad copter, or is there some more complex trimming that I need to do?

Thanks in advance.
JohnR. is offline Find More Posts by JohnR.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 09:53 AM
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
One other thing that I noticed just now. If, while turned off, I manually turn each blade with my finger one at a time, they all spin very freely except one, which definitely shows more resistance than the others.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 10:54 AM
United States, MA, Plymouth
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
When you bind, make sure you plug in the battery and then set it down on a LEVEL SURFACE. If you're at a slant, or holding it, the gyro will calibrate to something screwy and keep trying to return itself to that position.

In addition, what you noticed about the props could also be the issue. Check for any hair or anything binding.
Arr0wHead is offline Find More Posts by Arr0wHead
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:50 AM
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arr0wHead View Post
When you bind, make sure you plug in the battery and then set it down on a LEVEL SURFACE. If you're at a slant, or holding it, the gyro will calibrate to something screwy and keep trying to return itself to that position.
Thanks for your reply. I was careful to have the copter level after plugging in the battery.

Quote:
In addition, what you noticed about the props could also be the issue. Check for any hair or anything binding.
Nothing binding that I can see. I guess my next step would be to take apart and reassemble that prop's assembly, if that's possible. I'll look into that.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:05 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Maybe just try loosening the screw a quarter turn.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:10 PM
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
Quote:
Maybe just try loosening the screw a quarter turn.
Which screw are you referring to ... the one that holds the prop to the prop shaft? Isn't that just for holding the prop on, and you unscrew it to remove the prop?

From playing around with it, I'm getting the impression that the resistance is either within the motor, or between the motor gear and the prop shaft gear. Do you know if these things needs lubrication?

Thanks.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:19 PM
Joined Jan 2013
1,305 Posts
Sorry, I was figuring an over tightened prop could bind against the motor housing, but I just tried and it's not possible.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:33 AM
Australia, QLD, Townsville
Joined Feb 2013
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnR. View Post
Which screw are you referring to ... the one that holds the prop to the prop shaft? Isn't that just for holding the prop on, and you unscrew it to remove the prop?

From playing around with it, I'm getting the impression that the resistance is either within the motor, or between the motor gear and the prop shaft gear. Do you know if these things needs lubrication?

Thanks.
You're probably on the right track. Tight motor or gears.

My Symas are all coax copters, but I did find that some of them when new were overly tight between motor pinion gear and main gear.

The X1 manual shows a pinion on the motor driving a gear on the bottom of the prop shaft. Many of the micro quads are direct drive - the props are on the motor shaft. The X1 is not. There is a chance that either the gears on the hard to hand turn motor are tight or the bearings on the prop shaft are tight.

My micro copter collection numbers 9 this week. (Another V911 is in the post). All of them have become smoother and quieter with use. And oil. I use sewing machine oil - it's very thin, penetrates, does not go gummy and is safe on plastics. As with any small machinery, these little copters do benefit by being "run in" a bit. Blasting off with a new copter on full power may burn out a tight motor or, perhaps, as in your quad, cause imbalances.

An aside: I bought an old model Syma S006 (non-Gyro). When new, it was prone to a lot of spinning until the gears on one motor bedded in and the beast balanced both motors and rotor speed... I found a few web forums where users were finding it "impossible" to stop the spin on an S006... they should have run the motors and gears in a bit before attempting full bore flying. (IMO)

Maybe, just maybe, if you use some oil on your tight motor and bench run it (at half speed) for a battery charge or two, that may bring that prop up to speed and the gyro will do a better job of balancing all four rotor speeds.

I'm considering buying an X1... but the Syma 2013 catalog (off their web site) shows an X3 quad which looks very interesting.
IanPellant is offline Find More Posts by IanPellant
Old Mar 11, 2013, 07:39 AM
Joined Mar 2013
5 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I actually did run the X1 thru at least 2 battery charges at low speed, as I was testing it inside and blasting off at full power would have been bad for both my X1 and the ceiling. ;-) I'll try sewing machine oil and patience.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:28 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
7,260 Posts
Mode 2 is mode two/ and mode 4 is different. Quad world most use mode 2.
X-1 I used stock TX no issues/ then bound to T9X and again no issues. Both needed nothing to fly righjt. Check your board to see if its mounted correct.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Mar 15, 2013, 11:56 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,471 Posts
A micro-quad is never going to just sit still in the air. There are always air currents that influence it, since it has little weight or mass. It's using very low cost electronics, too. The motor that doesn't move freely is definitely a concern. That's a sign that the brushes may be going bad. I would check to see that the gear turns easily in the housing, by pushing the gear down, so it disengages from the motor pinion.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Apr 24, 2013, 10:13 AM
Joined Sep 2012
11 Posts
After having 4 new X1's I would just go ahead and change the motor.Take your time and figure everything out before you destroy anything .There are ways to do all you have to do.
lew308 is offline Find More Posts by lew308
Old Mar 24, 2014, 09:38 AM
Joined Mar 2014
10 Posts
syma x1 drift

JohnR. I got my x1 a few days ago and have the same problem: that is no matter what I do to the trim and no matter how careful I am connecting the battery while keeping the unit level, it still drifts to the left. I try some of the things mentioned here and if I come up with something, I'll be sure and post it.
DAVEHU is offline Find More Posts by DAVEHU