SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 04, 2013, 05:38 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,910 Posts
Thanks, Andy!

The Knight's covering material is my first use of a UK-made iron-on called Aero-lite I bought through Stephens Aero in the US. It's very light, and a little touchy to work with, being both thin and prone to self sticking once the clear plastic backing is removed. But, it came out very well.

The roundels are home printed on paper and attached with spray adhesive. As long as it doesn't rain... The tail stripes and cowl are colored/coloured packing tape.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 04, 2013, 10:17 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidterrell80 View Post
colored/coloured .
Yeah yeah, funny LMAO
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phoenix 2000
Old May 05, 2013, 06:37 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,910 Posts
I was being sen-uv-tiv... I forgot to mention that I'm planning to add a Pink Arrow to the marking scheme.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2013, 08:39 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
The 'Pink Arrows'?

Now there's a thought to make one shudder.

Good luck with the test flights David. Look after this beauty - I could be back in your neck of the woods later this year and looking for photographs. Ultra-large scale models like yours always fascinate me.

Dereck
Who lives in a bi-lingual household...
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old May 09, 2013, 07:06 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,910 Posts
First Flight... unofficially

First flight!

On 05May2013 at 1840 EST, I had one 8 minute flight and a 4-minute flight.
No video, so it's purely circumstantial.

There were thunderstorms in the area so I did not want to dawdle. The grass at the field was unusually long, giving me some confidence in a safe outcome.

The first flight was a bit exciting at first. There was a little breeze and I had to add two clicks of down trim. The plane flies by or "close to" the wind very well. She could use a bit more dihedral but it was not overly difficult to attend to the plane. Directional control was good. Pitch control was good. I was using a low rate of 85% throw and +25% expo for the flight; leaving the high rate at 100% and 0. But I didn't need the high rate. When flying large or "across" the wind, there was less directional control, probably from the large fuselage side area. The plane slows down very well but the airfoil has a very sharp stall. The nose would fall to the vertical and the plane needs about 8 feet (2.5 m) to recover.

I landed and changed the battery, moving it a touch forward and taking out the trim I added at the transmitter.

The second flight was perfect, except for the sharp stall noted and a tendency for the nose to wander when broadside to the breeze. I decided to land early and prepare my smartphone to take a video of the event. I was on approach about 10 feet away and with about 8 feet altitude when I experienced a sharp stall at the same moment as a small gust swept past me. the plane was nose down when the gust hit and cutting the throttle, the plane pushed into a steep inverted dive and went into the grass. The only damage was the failure of a glue joint in the wing saddle. I could have fixed it at the field, using CA but wanted to use the White Gorilla Glue.

So I put the knight away and put two flights each on my Blackburn Skua (first flights after repairs), my UMX Carbon Cub, and my VisionAire before the dark chouuds began to rumble.

So the Knight will go under the knife and then I'll go back for additional flights and video.

I'm going to consider a leading edge flap to try and mitigate the stall.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 09, 2013, 07:47 PM
Never stop being a kid.
United States, CO, Manitou Springs
Joined Jan 2012
543 Posts
Yahoo! First flight of the contest, too, right? Nice work, David. Sounds like it went pretty well, all things considered. Looking forward to video! What is the not-enough dihedral angle, incidentally? Does look pretty minimal.
BrundleFlyBy is offline Find More Posts by BrundleFlyBy
Old May 09, 2013, 08:54 PM
United States, IN, Hammond
Joined Jan 2013
541 Posts
Congrats Dave!
Ken USA is offline Find More Posts by Ken USA
Old May 10, 2013, 03:03 AM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,650 Posts
David,
Congratulations on a successful maiden flight. It looks as if I'll have to watch for that stall. However, it does tend to bear out what I said earlier about a tendency to flick in turns - just not actually caused by the turn, but by attempting to slow up and turn within the confines of our venue. It was hard to tell what was causing it at the time.
So, now that I know I need to keep the speed up and make turns gently I can proceed with assembling my model. At least now I know I don't need to make it a low winger.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old May 10, 2013, 04:48 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,910 Posts
I'm thinking that she would benefit from some washout, to soften the loss of lift.

I'm going to try some things, in stages:
-- temporary leading edge flaps on the outboard third of the wing, to increase the camber.
-- more down thrust.
-- lessen the wing incidence.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 10, 2013, 01:33 PM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
Well done Dave, you are enough of an inspiration for the rest of us to get a move on.
Mark
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
Old May 12, 2013, 07:35 PM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
Congratulations Dave!
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
Old May 22, 2013, 10:33 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,910 Posts
I took her out to fly a second time. I set up the camera but it shut down on me. She still stalls very abruptly and the same crash ensued, broke the other wing off at the root.

Grrrr.

I'm going to add some down thrust and see if I can keep the wing lifting.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 23, 2013, 12:44 AM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
786 Posts
Bugger! Do you have the CG in the correct place?
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
Old May 23, 2013, 09:19 AM
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
2,528 Posts
"..... she would benefit from some washout, to soften the loss of lift.

I'm going to try some things, in stages:
-- temporary leading edge flaps on the outboard third of the wing, to increase the camber.
-- more down thrust.
-- lessen the wing incidence."

Perhaps try with incidence. Add TE stock with perhaps 1/8" wash out. You could just "tape" the material on for a test flight.
JohnAV8R is offline Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old May 31, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,910 Posts
I've been flying every opportunity and reading, for a change. I just finished John Gertner's history of Bell labs and have started David Potter's new biography of the Emperor Constantine.

I did sit down tonight and start the wing repairs on the Knight. The structure is now repaired but, before I recover the affected portion, I want to add some webbing to the wing root spars to prevent another compression fracture of the wing spar.

Then, I'll add some down thrust.
RCG Plus Member