HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 05, 2013, 07:48 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
HI David
Good to hear you're building too fast as a result of feeling better

Love the pilot. Every visible cockpit should have one - with lighthearted models, a lighthearted pilot makes a good office manager.

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 05, 2013, 08:43 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
3,002 Posts
Thanks, y'all. I worked on the stone carving today... and may have flying weather tomorrow.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2013, 11:10 PM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
Hope you aren't carvin yer own headstone David! Just jokin of course, I admire good craftsmanship in anything. Nice work.

Conrad
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
Old Apr 06, 2013, 09:31 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,002 Posts
I've actually thought about carving my own headstone... I think it'd be cool. But, knowing the modern world, someone would forbid it for political correctness sake, steal it, or just break it.

I have done small memorial pieces for families. Several have been funerary urns.

Several times I've taken my air hammer, compressor and electrical generator into the wilderness and carved something in place. Sometimes, pictures of them crop up on the internet, people wondering how that got there. It is a quiet pleasure.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 07, 2013, 03:30 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hi David

Sorry I'm late to the party, but I have to say this build is amazing, I know I'm a bit of a foam basher but building in balsa is a real art. Well I'm subbed now and looking forward to seeing your old fashioned Knight fly.
Andy

BTW, I just love this photo of the BE2
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
Old Apr 07, 2013, 09:46 PM
Heads up...
United States, VA, Stafford
Joined Jun 2009
744 Posts
Great pilot David, love it....
RMCCOR7737 is offline Find More Posts by RMCCOR7737
Old Apr 09, 2013, 09:08 PM
Joined Apr 2012
3,002 Posts
Alright, then... let me take stock of my position.

It's spring in Northern Virginia... finally. The Cherry Blossoms are peaking this week.

I had to do a post-flying repair session. I split the cowl on my big T-28; and, it's fixed. I had a problem with a new prop on my Blackburn Skua... I thought it was balanced. The motor pulled out of the mounting and the dead stick landing did some damage to the underside. A little wood and covering to repair.

And I bought a motor-glider. I thought of building one, and I will but, I became impatient--especially after a coupon and free shipping dangled before my face.

To do list:
-- Wing struts and attachment fittings
-- Cockpit edge
-- Nose block/radiator
-- Vent in the electronics bay for cooling air exhaust
-- Wheel discs
-- Windshield
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 09, 2013, 11:46 PM
ExPat
Spain, Murcia, Mazarrón
Joined Apr 2010
1,600 Posts
Hi David

I like your new ASW, I've been wanting one of those for a while, how does it fly and what size lipo are you using? Speaking of how it flies, that shoe will definitely need more dihedral and perhaps a little wash out, it looks like it would be very unstable in the air at the moment...

Right back on topic, not too much more to do on your list, looking forward to seeing your wheel discs and radiator block.
Andy
Aero Andy is offline Find More Posts by Aero Andy
Old Apr 10, 2013, 04:25 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,002 Posts
I just finished assembling the ASW and have not yet flown her. I bought the ARF version and had to install the pitch horns and linkages; and, the Rx. It was not difficult. The plane calls for a 1300 mAh 3S. There's not a great deal of room under the cockpit and the curved contours of the cockpit pod leave no orthogonal sides to attach things. It seems you leave the ESC and Rx free, so the battery can be positioned in the floor and fastened by "velcro". Then, one positions the components around the battery.I used a Rx with a satellite receiver, since I expect more separation than with other planes. I put a piece of fastener on the underside of the hatch to hold the main Rx above the battery (for reception in the forward hemisphere) and the wire is long enough to put the satellite Rx behind the battery (for reception aft).

the shoe needing wash out... there is a "spot on" remark.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 10, 2013, 09:47 AM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Aah! DC cherry blossoms - fond memories indeed. Our MD house had a close contender for the title 'World's Biggest Cherry Tree' in the front garden. For two months of each year, if we were lucky, it didn't drop something on the car, driveway, garage roof or front garden. Every two or three years, we paid about the cost of a new 48 channel radio with 10,000 model memories to have it cut back from both our house and the next door neighbour's place.

I tried so hard to figure out how to donate it to DC, as it would have made those trees around the tidal basin look like potted plants.

The couple we sold the house to when we left had the 'cherry monster' cut down within a year...

The ASW is a neat little model. Ideal for nice calm days, when all you want to do is watch it fly around and make the odd suggestion to keep it within the same field.

That shoe - has it got a sole purpuse in life? If not, it deserves to get the boot.

Sorry

D
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Apr 11, 2013, 06:38 PM
Ad eos qui nesciunt crepitus
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Dec 2012
1,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dereck View Post

That shoe - has it got a sole purpuse in life? If not, it deserves to get the boot.

Sorry

D
Standard airfoil template !........I have two just like it......one for each wing !
Old_Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Old_Pilot
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 45" Nas-Tee built up
Old Apr 12, 2013, 10:58 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,002 Posts
Going to make the cones for the wheels... I found this dimension generator.

http://www.cleavebooks.co.uk/scol/calcone.htm

I have my cone dimensions and will let you know how they work out
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2013, 11:35 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,002 Posts
Cone worked out pretty good. I entered the base diameter (wheel hub) and the height of the cone (a little above where I intended to cut the center out for the hub). I went to powerpoint and drew a circle (diameter = slant height) and made two radial lines. One was at zero and the other at the "S angle" called out by the calculator. I duplicated the one circle and lines and printed the page.

I cut out the circle and one of the radial lines... cut out a little center, overlapped the cut line to the other radial, put a spot of tape on the back... and, I have a cone.

Yay!
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 12, 2013, 01:57 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,783 Posts
How about draw radius, draw height and measure the diagonal? The diagonal is the radius of your cone.
I can't see if you have, but if you score the 'spoke' positions (ballpoint pen) from the back, and then crease along the scores it gives the impression of a covered, spoked wheel.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Apr 13, 2013, 07:12 AM
Joined Apr 2012
3,002 Posts
Pete, the trigonometry of the triangle was not daunting... but I did like having the included angle calculated for me. It made forming the cone a more certain event.

I cannot say I've ever seen a spoked wheel closely enough to know that the spokes create ridges in the cloth. I would have thought that the cone described by the cloth would not have intersected the cone described by the tangent edges of the spokes.

To do so would mean that the two defining circles of the truncated cone are closer than I'd supposed; and, when the cloth was doped, the cloth would shrink on to the spokes a bit... yes?
RCG Plus Member