HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2013, 03:56 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,637 Posts
Considering how many of my prototypes Pat Lynch has built, it's an easy mistake to make mate. You can tell us apart because I don't pose wooden dolls with my models. Probably something to do with not having any - or the artistic talent to pose them.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2013, 11:10 PM
UMs & parkflyers... for now.
United States, VA, Herndon
Joined Apr 2012
2,889 Posts
I finished the undercarriage and tail skid; applied markings to the rudder; and, attached the tail group to the fuselage.

She's beginning to look like an aircraft.
davidterrell80 is offline Find More Posts by davidterrell80
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: BBCC Results
Old Mar 31, 2013, 04:59 PM
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Feb 2012
402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETERRAKE View Post
Considering how many of my prototypes Pat Lynch has built, it's an easy mistake to make mate. You can tell us apart because I don't pose wooden dolls with my models. Probably something to do with not having any - or the artistic talent to pose them.

Pete
Actually, I think what happened Pete, I had just come from following a "Pat Tritle" designed B-17 Dare kit build log over in scale airplanes. Embarrassing to make the mistake, mixing up the names of two great model airplane designers.

Conrad
conrad907 is offline Find More Posts by conrad907
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:20 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,637 Posts
I'm a mere novice compared to Pat. I just do what I enjoy doing. Nothing technical or things like that. If it looks right to me I go with it.
I'm flattered that you even put me in the same class.

Pete
PETERRAKE is offline Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Mar 31, 2013, 09:01 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,889 Posts
Speaking of Pete and Pat Lynch, I just bought a June '13 Flying Scale Models with Pete's Albatros D.XI plan in the centerfold and Pat's construction article. What a bizarre but cute, short-coupled little biplane!

Pete, you do yourself altogether too little justice. I've collected several of your plans now and I'm getting a feel for your design philosophy by listening and watching. Your advice in the Pou di Ceil thread was spot on... I'm pleased to say I've been growing some of those opinions myself, before you wrote them down for me. I also enjoyed your "The Quiet Zone" article in the same magazine... "skin, pull, and rice-pudding" forsooth... I applaud your attempts to get people off their ARF and just build a plane.

My engineering skills are dated. I left Bell Helicopter in 2002, ending 20 years building the real thing, culminating in a senior manufacturing role on the V-22 Osprey wing. I'm proud to say that none of my parts have ever broken; or, even figured in a maintenance bulletin. The Long War started and I was called to duty. The duty ended and I kept supporting the fight as a civilian. I grow old, now, and am training the next generation to replace me; and, missing my planes, I came back.

Nevertheless, what "looks right" to you also looks right to me. Nice work!

I'm planning to build at least one of your designs as part of my training program before I design and build my own. I lean toward the AirCamper and Eastbourne Monoplane, based on personal liking for the subjects, but I've not made up my mind. My current living space and automobile limit me to what can be built on a dining table and what will fit in the back seat of a sedan.

But first, I need to complete the Knight, finish the restoration of the Goldberg Eagle, and fix the UMX MiG 15. Yesterday, I was flying the MiG and attempted an Immelman directly towards me. and depth perception being what it is, I pancaked it on the grass. The damage is nothing that 45 minutes and some White Gorilla Glue will not repair.

I'm pleased to know you, Pete. Thanks for sharing your talent.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2013, 12:50 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,889 Posts
I installed the pitch horns and rigged the controls. I also allowed a single drop of thin CA to run down the rudder pushrod. It cause a bind in the system where the pushrod passed through a bulkhead.

*Here, I refrain from typing the string of colorful, maritime-derived expletives I used, except to say that while they may not have been suitable to a retired Naval Reserve officer, I probably pleased my late father, a Chief Petty Officer.*

So, I opened the rear fuselage and freed up the linkages. All surfaces are now, moving well. I will close the fuselage later.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 01, 2013, 08:22 PM
Proto morlock
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2008
163 Posts
Ah, the fun that ensues when CA goes where it shouldn't. Glad it was a straighforward fix.

Looking good. I'd be very tempted to add one to the build list,if only it wasn't already so crowded.

Just a thought - any chance of a little ultracote on those wheels? The little plastic gws style wheels don't really fit.
Jim_the_Sane is offline Find More Posts by Jim_the_Sane
Old Apr 01, 2013, 08:30 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,889 Posts
I will cover the wheels, before all is done. Tonight, I came home early from work. I've been feeling poor and it looks like I have some sort of respiratory infection.

I spent a little time on the Knight, using some soda straws and bamboo skewers to fabricate an exhaust stack and some weapons.

Now, it's time to carve my pilot.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Apr 01, 2013 at 10:18 PM.
Old Apr 01, 2013, 09:18 PM
United States, NC, Burlington
Joined May 2012
75 Posts
Keep up the great work. It's looking good. Hope u feel better soon.
dmbaerry is offline Find More Posts by dmbaerry
Old Apr 04, 2013, 05:38 AM
United States, IN, Hammond
Joined Jan 2013
541 Posts
The plane looks great and I must say that this thread could be a build log tutorial.
Ken USA is offline Find More Posts by Ken USA
Old Apr 04, 2013, 03:20 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,889 Posts
Thank you, all. The last two days, I've been feeling much better; so much so that I've forced myself to slow down to prevent me having any sort of relapse.

Tonight, we (my son and I) are watching the Warehouse 13 series marathon, preparatory to the premiere for the new season. I commend the series to you. It's very smart, with great characters.

So, I'm standing at the dinner table, constructing my pilot, representing Sir Snoopy of Schultz, Baron Beagle of Peanuts DSO, CGC, DFC, CBF(*)

David

*Charlie's Best Friend
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by davidterrell80; Apr 04, 2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old Apr 04, 2013, 05:15 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,889 Posts
I was able to install the intrepid pilot.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2013, 05:35 PM
Proto morlock
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Mar 2008
163 Posts
Cute - I like it. And I'm glad you clarfied CBF. Charlie's Best Friend wan't my first thought...

Glad to hear your recovering.
Jim_the_Sane is offline Find More Posts by Jim_the_Sane
Old Apr 04, 2013, 11:28 PM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
785 Posts
Nice one.

Every plane with a cockpit should have a pilot!
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
Old Apr 05, 2013, 05:06 PM
United States, SC, Charleston
Joined Feb 2013
94 Posts
I do like the Snoopy. Nice touch.
pulserudder is offline Find More Posts by pulserudder