Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:31 AM
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
498 Posts
Discussion
Chinglish

How is it that they can manufacture pretty outstanding little things for us to zoom about in the sky with yet they cannot, under any circumstances translate Chinese into English??? How is that even possible??

I could learn Chinese within a year. I speak two languages already. But could I learn about avionics, electrickery, R/C 'things' and how to fly them very well in a year? No chance. None. I cannot see how it is so impossible for them to translate to English. Or French or German or Spanish or even US English() or Runes or Hieroglyphs or Quark - ANYTHING. Just something the average person could then actually use.

For a newbie getting into this - receiving a 'manual' that makes no sense whatsoever isn't exactly helpful. Do people actually tell the manufacturers that their manuals are next to useless due to translation that makes no sense whatsoever. Especially as it seems every micro they bring out is 'suitable for beginners'. Or perhaps that too is lost in translation.

I just find it absolutely weird that their products are let down so badly by translating it into gibberish.

Happy Flying
Cannafish is offline Find More Posts by Cannafish
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:28 AM
Joined Jan 2013
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannafish View Post
How is it that they can manufacture pretty outstanding little things for us to zoom about in the sky with yet they cannot, under any circumstances translate Chinese into English??? How is that even possible??

I could learn Chinese within a year. I speak two languages already. But could I learn about avionics, electrickery, R/C 'things' and how to fly them very well in a year? No chance. None. I cannot see how it is so impossible for them to translate to English. Or French or German or Spanish or even US English() or Runes or Hieroglyphs or Quark - ANYTHING. Just something the average person could then actually use.

For a newbie getting into this - receiving a 'manual' that makes no sense whatsoever isn't exactly helpful. Do people actually tell the manufacturers that their manuals are next to useless due to translation that makes no sense whatsoever. Especially as it seems every micro they bring out is 'suitable for beginners'. Or perhaps that too is lost in translation.

I just find it absolutely weird that their products are let down so badly by translating it into gibberish.

Happy Flying
Agree. The English in some manuals is crappy. Fortunately i am Chinese.
samho2088 is offline Find More Posts by samho2088
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:20 AM
Blue Bell, PA USA
Joined Sep 2008
910 Posts
I am amazed at the poor grammar they use in advertising... Walkera is a great example.. take a look at some of thier tag lines for their helicopter ads.
Steve Joblin is offline Find More Posts by Steve Joblin
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:29 AM
I hate waiting for parts
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,504 Posts
The Chinglish is hilarious. The DJI manual is famous for it. We had a C-47 for a raffle prize at our fly in last year - by Dynam, I believe - and the box was side-splitting it was so funny. "More relaxed flight" and "4-channel control for happy flight". The best part was that it was advertised as a "Skystrain" and not a "Skytrain".
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:32 AM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
Unfortunately bad translation or direcions give the impression that they dont really know what their doing and that quality has got to be as bad a the English (or other language) its written in.

Perception is everything in business and maybe they will come to see that in the hopefully near future.
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:42 AM
Joined Jan 2013
253 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Joblin View Post
I am amazed at the poor grammar they use in advertising... Walkera is a great example.. take a look at some of thier tag lines for their helicopter ads.
The grammar in Walkera's tag lines used to be very good. I wonder if the company has hired a new translator.
samho2088 is offline Find More Posts by samho2088
Old Mar 02, 2013, 08:05 AM
Philippines, Calabarzon, San Pedro
Joined Jul 2012
3,959 Posts
1+1 is always 2 regardless of language.

I'd like to get the opinion of people from other countries how their manuals look. If english is this bad, what about their spanish manuals?
Hajile is online now Find More Posts by Hajile
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 02, 2013, 11:33 AM
Joined Jan 2012
482 Posts
Hajile your question is important. I wish to add to it in hopes of further discussion. First: do you have a local hobby shop where you buy?
Does that hobby shop stock products that have manuals in your native language? If not then does it stock products without regard to the supplied manual?
Second: If you are buying from the internet and its suppliers do they offer a manual in your native language? I ask this because many suppliers are not giving this manual topic any consideration.
The manufacturer is supplying a manual that may or many not even be
satisfactory. The internet and world trade has opened a door that
has caused a language problem that is far greater that people are considering.

What do you think? I hope others speak up on this, I think it is important.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:42 PM
Smoke em ' If ya got em
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Aug 2012
3,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samho2088 View Post
The grammar in Walkera's tag lines used to be very good. I wonder if the company has hired a new translator.
+ 1...One would think this would be priority in having an over all professional look. I cant imagine not hiring a good writer/translator in advertising would put them in the red.
Dejavu*Xion is offline Find More Posts by Dejavu*Xion
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:50 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,943 Posts
You mean like this?

Whatever you do don't be fly. Whether or not it's the 90's or you're one of the the In Living Color dancers
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Mar 02, 2013, 04:57 PM
United States, FL, Hernando
Joined Sep 2012
1,460 Posts
That blade creates human bodies..... I bet it cost a fortune
War Horse is offline Find More Posts by War Horse
Old Mar 02, 2013, 05:01 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
Hajile your question is important. I wish to add to it in hopes of further discussion. First: do you have a local hobby shop where you buy?
Does that hobby shop stock products that have manuals in your native language? If not then does it stock products without regard to the supplied manual?
Second: If you are buying from the internet and its suppliers do they offer a manual in your native language? I ask this because many suppliers are not giving this manual topic any consideration.
The manufacturer is supplying a manual that may or many not even be
satisfactory. The internet and world trade has opened a door that
has caused a language problem that is far greater that people are considering.

What do you think? I hope others speak up on this, I think it is important.
For them to hire a translator, they need someone who knows RC stuff, otherwise everything's going to be lost in translation.

I think the internet has also provided online translators too, but I'm guessing the terms used might not translate well enough though.

But I wouldn't like it very much if I spoke a language not included or available in the manual... so I hear what your saying. But they'd have to have one for each world language if so. So I guess they save money and translate it for their biggest markets. One word, money.
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:12 PM
Joined Jan 2012
482 Posts
The catch 22 money. However US is a big market and the english speaking world is quite large so I would think that they could do better.
freezywilly is offline Find More Posts by freezywilly
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:18 PM
Joined Mar 2012
1,943 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezywilly View Post
The catch 22 money. However US is a big market and the english speaking world is quite large so I would think that they could do better.
You'd think. But the lowest bid translator probably gets the job .
Old Mar 02, 2013, 06:26 PM
last of the sixties kids..
New Zealand, Northland, Whangarei
Joined Jan 2013
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samho2088 View Post
Agree. The English in some manuals is crappy. Fortunately i am Chinese.
Is the Chinese actually OK. I was beginning to think that perhaps the Chinese instructions are as bad
Cannafish is offline Find More Posts by Cannafish