SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:52 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Discussion
Tired of paying $7 for a tiny can of Lexan spray paint? Try SEM!

We all know that Lexan requires special paint. This is because not much sticks to it, and when the body flexes, regular paint will crack and flake off. The problem is that Pactra and Tamiya PS Lexan paints are $7 for a tiny 3oz can of spray paint. I've found an alternative, it' SEM's Color Coat. It's made specifically for plastic, vinyls, and cloth. It's available in spray cans at your local auto body supply store for around $13 for a full 16oz can. It comes in lots of colors, nothing too fancy, but all the basics are covered. It also works great for backing other Lexan paints if you're using Tamiya or Pactra metallics. Most shops can also custom mix colors if you're got a spray gun or airbrush.

So, how well does it work? Well, I've been using it for recoloring car interiors for years, and I've used it on every RC body I've painted. It's incredibly durable, and it doesn't require scuffing the pastic or any other special prep of the Lexan. Just spray it on and go

Example 1, my Slash 4x4 Pro-line Baja Beetle
The spoiler on this body is particularly vulnerable. You can see in the pic that the spoiler is cracked and torn to bits, but the paint is still holding up great. The body it's self is painted with Pactra and backed with SEM black. You can see that the body is bashed, banged, cracked, torn, and has been repaired many times. The paint however is largely intact.

Example 2, my Backslash.
The black and yellow on this body are painted on the outside, SEM silver on the inside. This body is also bashed to heck, yet the SEM inside the body is still all there and in great shape.

Example 3, my Turnigy Monster Beetle.
Both yellow and black are SEM colors. This car is bouncy and tumbly, and spends as much time upside down as right side up. With one tiny exception, the paint is completely intact. Here's an example of the kind tumbling the body regularly goes through:
Bashing with a Turnigy Monster Beetle (5 min 39 sec)

In short, next time you need to paint a body, give SEM a try
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Last edited by Bugman Jeff; Mar 01, 2013 at 08:05 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:52 AM
Canada, ON, Markham
Joined Aug 2008
8,841 Posts
I prefer using faskolor with an airbrush, you can get a lot more usage from $5 in paint but you need an airbrush then.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old Mar 05, 2013, 05:26 PM
Iceland, Capital Region, Reykjavik
Joined May 2012
32 Posts
So... basically any paint mad for plastic could work?
mummi is offline Find More Posts by mummi
Old Mar 06, 2013, 10:56 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Not necessarily. Krylon Fusion for example is made specifically for plastics but will chip and flake off unless you sand/scuff the plastic first. Standard Testors and Tamiya TS model paint are made for plastics too, and it will flake off in no time. SEM can be sprayed on directly with no additional prep. Anything advertised as a vinyl paint should work, though SEM is the only one I've used.
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Old Mar 06, 2013, 11:48 PM
Sakura Ultimate graduate
Richmond B.C. Canada
Joined Oct 2007
461 Posts
Cool, Lordco sells them in B.C. Canada, I'll have to check them out when I get the chance.
SporadicIdiocy is offline Find More Posts by SporadicIdiocy
Old Aug 29, 2013, 02:18 PM
Did you check the FAQ already?
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
12,649 Posts
More people using vinyl paints for their lexan bodies? If it's a durable as it seems, I think it's a better option than the regular lexan paints, which tend to seperate from the lexan over time.
SoloProFan is online now Find More Posts by SoloProFan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 04, 2013, 07:28 AM
Joined May 2008
137 Posts
So rather than paying $28 for small paint cans to do a 4 dollar body and have the unused paint sitting in the cans for a couple of years, you can spend $52 and store much bigger cans for longer. I get what your saying tho, but you'd have to pretty busy with painting bodies to make !6oz cans worth while. I could see getting a can of black and a can of white as those are used the most, even if just to back another color.

My advice, get and airbrush (even a cheap Harbor Freight one) and use Faskolor. One tiny bottle goes a very long way, is water based, makes for a lighter weight body (because of the airbrush), and last a very very long time without getting all clumpy and inconsistent like spray paint. I have a couple bottles that are 10 years old...still good to go. I painted this Slash with my old paint (the white is Pactra)
metoo is offline Find More Posts by metoo