HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2013, 03:41 PM
United Kingdom, Birmingham
Joined Jan 2013
320 Posts
Help!
Nesting Software

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend some free nesting software for 2D profiles (DXF & DWG). Iím looking to nest a stack of parts for a scratch build / designed 70mm F15 EDF.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks, Steve
meerkat13 is online now Find More Posts by meerkat13
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:22 AM
Joined Jan 2013
320 Posts
Well after some digging around I think the best option for me is to use one of the cloud based nesting providers. I’m going to try out a few and will post how I get on
A bit more background - all I’m looking to do is nest the profiles on my standard Depron sheet size. As I don’t have access to a CNC laser or router, I will print the nested sheet on a wide format printer and then overlay on the Depron and cut by hand.

1st up is MyNesting - http://www.mynesting.com/

There is no upfront cost for the software. You install it on your PC, create your nest and only if you want to export the nest do you make a payment. You do this by buying credits online.

Very easy to use but had problems with the dxf’s that I exported out from SW with bend lines. Once the bend lines were removed everything worked fine. I’m sure if I edited the dxf and put the bend lines on a different layer it would work file. I don’t particularly want to do this as, being lazy, it’s another process in the workflow… I would rather spend the time designing, building or flying.

They give you one free credit when you first install the software which I used for this test project (pics).

Another positive is that you could use the software to generate the nest on screen to give you an idea of the best utilisation of the material and then create the nest manually based on it. Even this would save a lot of time.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:53 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,257 Posts
One problem is the grain direction.

All the nesting software I have found is fairly expensive. I have the nesting option in my Bobcad software, but I rarely use it. I usually just manually place the parts.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Mar 05, 2013, 12:41 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,703 Posts
I use Vectric Vcarve Pro for 2d part nesting. Most CAD systems (as mentioned) have a function for this as well but not all.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004
Old Mar 05, 2013, 07:29 PM
United States, MD, Silver Spring
Joined Feb 2009
79 Posts
Steve
first off that's a great 3d drawing. I do boats and have to work hard at it.
If your program can pull all the parts out of that drawing and lay them flat I can't believe it does not have the next step to nest them.
Some of my boats I do the reverse of you and take flat shadows and reconstruct them into the 3d boat to CNC machine.
Is depron that expensive that you need to nest the parts so close?
copy the parts to a new layer/level and then drag them to the sheet. you'll still have the originals to go back to.
Craig
huzway is offline Find More Posts by huzway
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2013
320 Posts
Good point Roto. About 8 years ago I used to nest Aluminium and I remember then we had to take care with the grain direction.

I have just had a look at the Vcarve Pro software Tom, which looks very good. Do you use it for routing moulds as well?

Hi Craig, thanks for the complement. There are several Add-in programs I could use with SolidWorks but they are pretty expensive. I think I will just have to stick to laying it out manually.

Thanks all for the advice.

Steve
Old Mar 07, 2013, 03:24 PM
Father of Fr3aK, DLG Pilot
USA, OH, Worthington
Joined May 2002
6,703 Posts
No Steve, I only use Vcarve Pro for 2D stuff. All of my molds are done with RhinoCam. I used to do them with Vectric Cut3D but ran into alot of limitations.
tom43004 is offline Find More Posts by tom43004