HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:06 AM
Joined Nov 2008
271 Posts
Question
Making it airtight !

Hi all,

I always meet the same problem when I mold one piece fuselage for my dlg; leak.
I use clown balloon that I need to stretch and I attach them to the stem (Always use 2 balloons) with adhesive tape and a piece of latex (tubing).

So I just wonder how do you attach the end of the balloon on the stem to avoid leaks. Pictures of what you do are welcome.

Thanks.
leroyo is offline Find More Posts by leroyo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 02, 2013, 02:05 PM
San Diego
Joined Mar 2003
2,284 Posts
I tried some paintable latex from the craft store for sealing the ends of my bladder (I used latex tubing) and it worked really well. You have to wait a few hours for it to dry, but it worked perfectly.
Ward Hagaman is online now Find More Posts by Ward Hagaman
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:45 PM
Entropy is happening!
Bellingen NSW Australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,640 Posts
2 Balloons?

How do you use 2 balloons? One inside the other?

When I experimented (unsuccessfully) with balloons as an inflation bladder, I tied the end to a short length of vinyl tube with a rubber band twisted between multiple turns. Then, the short length was plugged into the next size up vinyl tubing which went to the air supply. I was only using aroun 15 psi of pressure.

I could not get then to last the duration without bursting, so went back to welded plastic inflation bladders, tied the same way as above - without leaks.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Jim.Thompson; Mar 02, 2013 at 07:46 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:21 AM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,183 Posts
Last week I molded my first pod without having any issues with leaks. The difference was that I switched from welded bladders to clown balloons. I used a combination of two peoples' techniques to get no leaks. I used Tom Siler's technique of inflating the balloon and "rolling" it back over the coupling to the stem. Then I used DLGJunkyard's technique of wrapping a second balloon very tightly around the base of the stem to seal it well. It's a little hard to explain, but I can post pictures tonight.
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6
Old Mar 04, 2013, 01:54 PM
G_T
Joined Apr 2009
5,711 Posts
Here's roughly what I do: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...2&postcount=85 It is a bit easier now though since I've moved up to the Qualatex 260 balloons. They go on the stem easier.

Gerald
G_T is offline Find More Posts by G_T
Old Mar 04, 2013, 06:58 PM
United States, CA, Tehachapi
Joined Jun 2011
3,183 Posts
Here's a pic. I inflate the balloon and slide it over the stem with the help of a tiny bit of vaseline. With the mouth of the balloon at the base of the stem I roll the balloon over the coupler and deflate it. Then I wrap a second balloon tightly around the base to ensure it's well sealed and to support the bladder at the point insertion into the mold so it can't bulge out the back and pop. Let me know if that doesn't make sense.
bwill6 is online now Find More Posts by bwill6