SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 02, 2013, 12:11 AM
Albuquerque USA
United States, NM, Albuquerque
Joined Dec 2012
2,028 Posts
It $10 each If I would have know I would ask you to get some for me too would need 8 of them
Askyvision is offline Find More Posts by Askyvision
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 03, 2013, 12:13 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
119 Posts
Tarot Ironman 1000 - Build

Ill be joining this build thread,

I received my Tarot frame yesterday and I am trying to figure out where to lay all the components out.

Heres what I got:

Ironman 1000 frame
8x Sunnysky 320kv
8x Hobby wing 40A Platinum Pro Esc's
DJI Wookong M
Spektrum Dx8
Spektrum DX6i (for cameraman
Cinestar 3 Axis Gimbal

So far on my build I have fitted the arms and started mounting my motors.

NOTE: I had to sand the inside of the aluminum motor mounts with 800 grit sand paper to remove casting imperfections I scarred up on arm pretty bad before i realized.

Now they fit really smooth no scratching of the CF.

My real dilemma is trying to figure where to mount the ESC's and the Wookong components. The way the arms fit to the frame make it impossible to run wires between them on the inside of the frame.

Any comments or suggestions would be great.

There are ESC mounting tabs on the motor mounts but I cannot figure out how anyone would mont them there...

More pics to come tonight!
hixon_blues is offline Find More Posts by hixon_blues
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:09 AM
Albuquerque USA
Joined Dec 2012
2,028 Posts
what part of the world are you in that she's wearing short, Tees and sunglass at this time of year?

Looking good so far, i'm think getting another set of the plate (top and bottom) fo mount the esc. I will bring the little sqare carbon that are in side the two plate now to mount the wookong imu, it will work wit the wookong imu but for my my X4 wont fit in the hold. i have to bring it on top of the top plate and mount my X4 there. I'll add another to the bottom for all the esc and to mount the gimball hopefully
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:31 AM
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2010
563 Posts
Ha ha - I thought the same thing! How do you get your woman to model your frames? My woman glares at me in anger each time I produce a new one!

I was thinking that if I had this frame (which I might, soon) then I would want to put the ESC's out under the prop wash to keep them cool (since it's a big ol' bird).

What if you extend only the power wires down the arms (using only two of the three holes in the aluminum endcaps) and do a more neatly organized version of what is shown in this picture?

That is, I just have mine zip-tied to the arm/clamps with the motor wires connnected to the ESC underneath/behind the esc. But you guys could strap the ESC to that 'extra' part that hangs off of the motor mount. You would still have to get creative with your wire management.

Note that on mine (shown in the photo) I had to get some servo wire extensions (15") in order to make them reach the center, where the WKM is located. Also, for fun, I soldered Dean's male plugs to the end of each ESC, then connected female Dean's plugs at the ends of wires attached to a power distribution board from abusemark.com.

I'm enjoying watching you guys build this, and I'm looking forward to seeing one in person soon (RC Mike!)

Keep the pics coming!
DroneBuilder is offline Find More Posts by DroneBuilder
Old Mar 03, 2013, 08:22 AM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,336 Posts
@hixon_blues, for the ESCs I made 3 holes just between the 2 first clamps between the center plates and installed the ESC there.

Also, can you confirm the cinestar gimbal can be mounted on that frame??
metalfred is offline Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Mar 03, 2013, 01:24 PM
Patrick Jenkins
USA, LA, 5
Joined Dec 2006
1,035 Posts
I am building the Tarot ironman 1000 and noticed that the mounts are a tight fit and scrape the carbon tubes when attaching also. I went and did the same and they really slide on well now. I used 60 grit due to not having anything else. I question the placement of esc's on the motors mounts also. My motors come with 18guage wire and are long enough to make it to the end of the beginning of the arms. Running two strands of 14 guage from the power side up the arm would weight just as much. Now for cooling, if you have a 40 amp esc and only require 30amp, you should not have heating issues. So to my point. why not stack the escs to where you have 2 escs on one side of " lets say arm 1" and 2 more on the other side of arm 1. So you have only 2 ends of the center plate that have escs and can reduce the interference that way? Any thoughts.
zagimon is offline Find More Posts by zagimon
Last edited by zagimon; Mar 03, 2013 at 02:28 PM. Reason: tried the sand paper and really like how easy the mount slide on.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:21 PM
Joined Jan 2013
119 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfred View Post
@hixon_blues, for the ESCs I made 3 holes just between the 2 first clamps between the center plates and installed the ESC there.

Also, can you confirm the cinestar gimbal can be mounted on that frame??
I would love to see some photos of that install, what ever I end up doing I want it to be easily disassembled so I can pack it up like the cinestar.

I cant confirm that it can be mounted on the frame but it shouldn't be a problem the frame is definitely big enough. I have the secraft anti vibe mounts so ill be mounting it up soon.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 03:29 PM
In progress...
Estonia, Tartu County, Tartu
Joined Jul 2012
215 Posts
Very nice pictures, hixon_blues. Do You also happen to know the weight of fully assembled Ironman (without any electornics etc)?
Skewp is offline Find More Posts by Skewp
Last edited by Skewp; Mar 03, 2013 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:17 PM
Patrick Jenkins
USA, LA, 5
Joined Dec 2006
1,035 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skewp View Post
Very nice pictures, hixon_blues. Do You also happen to know the weight of fully assembled Ironman (without any electornics etc)?
603 grams (only the frame) w/o motor mounts but with the cf esc mounts/motor plates.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2013
119 Posts
I am in sunny Southern California!!! Its about 72 degrees right now

Mounting the ESC's on the arms seems a bit tricky due to the aluminum motor mounts. I would like to mount them Inboard to keep things clean but there seems to be no space. Adding a second top plate is possibility and might be a good idea but I would like to keep the weight down. Im Planning on taking my time on this build it needs to be as modular as possible so it disassembles quickly.

Ill see what I can do. Im heading out to the local airpark just to get out of the house today but more building and photos to come.
Old Mar 03, 2013, 04:57 PM
Albuquerque USA
Joined Dec 2012
2,028 Posts
Hixon I see that your landing gear does not have a wheels on it Did you chose not to put it in or your kit does not come with one? I do have the wheels install it look good and it nice to have when landing
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:20 PM
Falling with style
Canada, QC
Joined Apr 2010
1,336 Posts
Here is how I fitted my ESCs.

My Ironman is almost finished, everything has been wired and soldered. The fun part with the WKM is about to start.
metalfred is offline Find More Posts by metalfred
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:23 PM
United States, TN, Brentwood
Joined Oct 2010
563 Posts
Quote:

My Ironman is almost finished, everything has been wired and soldered. The fun part with the WKM is about to start.
Holy smokes - that looks difficult!
DroneBuilder is offline Find More Posts by DroneBuilder
Old Mar 03, 2013, 05:25 PM
Joined Jan 2013
119 Posts
I actually installed the legs that came with my cinestar gimbal, I thought I was missing the screws for my tarot legs but I found them, I will be switching to the tarot legs they are longer and I like the wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askyvision View Post
Hixon I see that your landing gear does not have a wheels on it Did you chose not to put it in or your kit does not come with one? I do have the wheels install it look good and it nice to have when landing
Old Mar 03, 2013, 07:00 PM
Patrick Jenkins
USA, LA, 5
Joined Dec 2006
1,035 Posts
Quote:

Really want to see the arm installed ..