Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:12 PM
RC Heli Junky
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Feb 2013
82 Posts
Discussion
Good Gyro or not?

any one own and can give a review on the Dentrum GY48V gyro

i just bought this gyro because i have a Dentrum GY192 and it started giving me alot of problem. no matter what i did i couldn't seem to get it corrected , so i said screw it and order a new one.

some reviews told me this gyro as cheap as it is. that it is remarkably good for what its worth. i didn't want to buy a really expensive gyro right now because all tho i can do inverted flights and piro flips ext. i enjoy flying FPV more so i did'nt think a $100 gyro was needed for me just yet

Tell me what yall think
countrybo89 is offline Find More Posts by countrybo89
Last edited by countrybo89; Feb 28, 2013 at 11:37 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2013, 11:41 PM
Closed Account
Joined Aug 2007
4,497 Posts
I messed around with cheap helis, gyros and tail servos a couple years ago for a few months. I haven't been able to replicate the sweet success of others $9 3D tail gyro (Including the GY48V). I've always had pretty poor tail management from those no matter what I did.

I finally went with the $100 Futaba gyro (and also a $70 Turnigy MEMs) and $60 tail servo and was happy. Then went to cheap ZYX with the $60 tail servo, and that is really good. I have two Microbeast and a ZYX gyro now.

I suppose I could try another GY48V again (I have 3 in a storage box) to try to re-create my mistakes and learn if I have the skills to set up a cheap gyro with a $10 .08 sec tail servo... no thanks, life is too short.

Good luck.
eagle777 is offline Find More Posts by eagle777
Last edited by eagle777; Mar 09, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old Mar 01, 2013, 06:15 AM
Australia, VIC
Joined Dec 2011
1,101 Posts
My GY48V works well , just needs a decent servo to work with it ..
Also try a Mems 250

Or maybe a copterX gyro ( tail )
old4570 is offline Find More Posts by old4570
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Wow -
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:33 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrybo89 View Post
any one own and can give a review on the Dentrum GY48V gyro

i just bought this gyro because i have a Dentrum GY192 and it started giving me alot of problem. no matter what i did i couldn't seem to get it corrected , so i said screw it and order a new one.

some reviews told me this gyro as cheap as it is. that it is remarkably good for what its worth. i didn't want to buy a really expensive gyro right now because all tho i can do inverted flights and piro flips ext. i enjoy flying FPV more so i did'nt think a $100 gyro was needed for me just yet

Tell me what yall think
-You could get a used gy401 for cheap...
elan is online now Find More Posts by elan
Old Mar 01, 2013, 08:43 AM
WOS
United States, IN, Michigan City
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
Not!
WOS is offline Find More Posts by WOS
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:23 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOS View Post
Not!
-Were you replying to me?
Old Mar 01, 2013, 09:45 AM
WOS
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
no not at all, sorry I should of quoted. Was stating NOT for the 48v gyro. Some have had ok luck with them and some could not get it to work at all. The Futaba GY401 is a safe bet all around and be had on rcg classifieds or ebay for very little. Just make sure it isn't a pirated copy of the gy401. A lot of people have had good luck with the HK401 as well which is much better the the 48V
Old Mar 01, 2013, 10:05 AM
VT
Joined Feb 2006
2,150 Posts
Was stating NOT for the 48v gyro
-I agree with you...
Old Mar 01, 2013, 01:09 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
The gy48v will hold a tail somewhat but it never felt locked in until I tried a Spartan gyro. Going to the Spartan, the tail seem perfect the second I put it on, like night and day. I was like, "So this is heli flying", I was blown away by how my tail only did what I wanted it to do and nothing else.

You can get away with a gy48v for a little while, and they're dirt cheap, but it's more frustrating than anything.

Spartan or futaba 401, is the way to go. I have an extra spartan ds760 if you're interested. I was probably going to put it in the classifieds soon anyway. Otherwise you can get them for $45-50 used all the time.
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Mar 02, 2013, 03:18 AM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2012
508 Posts
ive been using one on my 450 for about a year now. i really like the 48v. my tail is rock solid. for a 12 dollar gyro i don't think you can go wrong. i use a fast digital servo which is key. just remember to take your time setting it up. i think most people who have problems don't know how to properly set it up. im building a 500 soon and will have one on that bird too.
stormheli is offline Find More Posts by stormheli
Old Mar 02, 2013, 03:42 AM
RC Heli Junky
United States, SC, Mt Pleasant
Joined Feb 2013
82 Posts
Well the weird thing is the gyro i got is the GY48V but its labeled as a NIP GY48V im not sure what the NIP stands for or what it means.
plus its a different color instead of being red and black like the one you see on xheli's site this one i got is solid black but it looks very legit the design of it is to a T the same as Xheli's Gyro it even has the Detrum name on it

Maybe some one can explain what the NIP stands for
countrybo89 is offline Find More Posts by countrybo89
Old Mar 02, 2013, 07:45 AM
WOS
Joined Nov 2003
808 Posts
NIP usually means New In Package
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:06 PM
Team Mulikow
Joined May 2007
920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
The gy48v will hold a tail somewhat but it never felt locked in until I tried a Spartan gyro. Going to the Spartan, the tail seem perfect the second I put it on, like night and day. I was like, "So this is heli flying", I was blown away by how my tail only did what I wanted it to do and nothing else.

You can get away with a gy48v for a little while, and they're dirt cheap, but it's more frustrating than anything.

Spartan or futaba 401, is the way to go. I have an extra spartan ds760 if you're interested. I was probably going to put it in the classifieds soon anyway. Otherwise you can get them for $45-50 used all the time.
This has been my experience as well. I tried numerous cheap piezo gyros, quite a number of Futaba clones and some of them worked OK for a dozen flights or so, but then would start to no longer hold at all or would develop a tail drift.

Then I bought a Spartan Quark, first off the set up was super easy, second it was locked in from the very get go. 2 years later most of my helis are FBL now but I still have a FB 450 with the Quark on it. This is my favorite heli and I have no intentions on converting it to FBL.
Zeta30 is offline Find More Posts by Zeta30
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:12 PM
Don't take any wooden nickels
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Mar 2012
1,944 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormheli View Post
i think most people who have problems don't know how to properly set it up. im building a 500 soon and will have one on that bird too.
Maybe you can make a video for us gy48v illiterates. Or on how to setup a tail in general. All I can say is my spartan loves my current tail setup. IMO the detrum is kind of a POS, but have at it...
finguz is offline Find More Posts by finguz
Old Mar 02, 2013, 01:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined Mar 2012
508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by finguz View Post
Maybe you can make a video for us gy48v illiterates. Or on how to setup a tail in general. All I can say is my spartan loves my current tail setup. IMO the detrum is kind of a POS, but have at it...
theres always one in the crowd. sounds like a video would do you no good. simply put many people have a tough time setting up there gyro/tail. theres many good video's out there. not everyone can afford a spartan. some people have to make due. if there set up properly they work very good
stormheli is offline Find More Posts by stormheli